Kickdown - am I stupid ?

-

orangecrush

Reaction score
My brain can't get a handle around kickdown adjustment. I have a Holley Avenger and an AirGap - when I open the throttle (pedal to floor) the kickdown slotted rod is pulled forward (if play is out), towards the front of the car, which is pulling trans kickdown lever forward as well. from what I'm reading, this is bass-ackwards ? I need a freakin' video as I've got no other cars to reference but a slant - . I understand the kickdown should move immediately as the throttle begins to move (and it should move the lever to the back of the trans, not foward) - this can't happen with my setup as the spring has the lever in a forward position, and pressing throttle tries to pull forward more, something ain't right ? . This can't be that tough!

I'm using a street avenger also here is a pic. I'm also using the mancini cable kick down. When you push the pedal down it should pull the linkage to the back toward the fire wall.

promo cars 018 (Small).jpg

and push the lever on the trans back towards the rear - i got something wrong going on here, throttle forwars pulls lever forward as well - have to see if I got somethin flip-flopped somewhere !

Not a cable - three piece rod setup. Thers's a car show tomorrow, I'll find one I can look at. I just need to know : when accelerator is pressed , the linkage should move the lever on the trans rearward, correct ? This is how it works on my 6 w/904. Mine does the opposite.

Consider the throttle on the carb a a circle. Attaching at 12 oclock moves one way and attaching at 6 oclock moves the opposite way. I really just dont do aftermarket stuff but thats how I picture your problem.
Good luck

Not a cable - three piece rod setup. Thers's a car show tomorrow, I'll find one I can look at. I just need to know : when accelerator is pressed , the linkage should move the lever on the trans rearward, correct ? This is how it works on my 6 w/904. Mine does the opposite.

Good idea! Get a look at one first, the only thing I can think is you are on the wrong side of the pivot point either top side or bottom. In the meantime DON`T DRIVE THE CAR with the linkage like that, you will ruin the transmission. If you still can`t figure it out, try to post some pictures here and I`m sure somebody will help out.

Do you have the linkage adaptor that bolts to the holley for use on mopars ? Thoug it may not help, you have screwed up angles now that you have a taller than stock intake , go with a cable , choose a LOKAR LAST .

- check that pivot on the bellhousing, thats the only thing that might be installed wrong and causing the problem ?

- check that pivot on the bellhousing, thats the only thing that might be installed wrong and causing the problem ?

That is exactly it, the rods are connected to the pivot on the bellhousing backwards. Unhook the rods at the pivot, swing the pivot 180 degrees and hook them back up. It'd be easier to explain with pictures...I'll see if I can dig some up.

10-4, like I said "flip-flopped". I'll check when I get home, ready for the weekend, baby. I modified the linkage bracket, cut and welded in a section of metal, brought it up where it needed to be and looks good. Thanks for the input.

Talk about timing - yeah ..... I got it wrong for sure. Looks like I need the rod where my throttle cable is and relocate the throttle cable ? Also will have to lengthen the rod for sure. Any pics of anyone's setups would be helpful, here's mine before ...... and yes, guess I am stupid (or maybe ignorant) :

DSCF0461 (Small).JPG

I think you need one of these. It's been sooooooo long since I've messed with auto trans stuff & I can't remember what hooks on where but I think this is the part. Holley number 20-7. $7.95 from Summit. The kickdown rod should be hooked up above the pivot point of the arm (throttle plate rod is the pivot). My best recollection is that there is a piece available that bolts through the hole on the arm of the adapter. The throttle cable hooks to one end of the piece & the kickdown rod hooks to the other end.

hly-20-7.jpg

believe you are correct - found this pic and looks like the part I'm gonna need :

DSCN1530 (Small).jpg

Not sure, but I think the piece the cable & rod hook to might need to be put into the bracket from the opposite side of the way it is in the pic you posted. Looks like it would line up better with the rod & cable on your car. I'd do whatever gave the straightest alignment of the parts.

Well - didn't need the Holley Chrysler adapter - things look like they'll line up great with the throttle pin extension. Any way, now I'm trying to adjust and with a 3/16 bit locking the bellcrank - there's not enough length for the terminal (trans) rod to allow it to slip into the hole on the kickdown lever (even when pulled full forward) Not sure if this is an issue since I thought locking the bellcrank was only to remove play ? If thats the case, there definitely ain't any. I have spent many hours and many dollars on the kickdown setups (bought a couple - blasted, cleaned, etc) If I can't get this right I'm pitching it all and going Lokar. I have the last setup pictured at the botton of this page : http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/auto/35.html have no clue what the block and spring are for at the trans end - once its bolted snug, what is the spring supposed to do ! Help if you can - no pics available but it's pretty straightforward.

Get it, that is a good price! I paid 60 for the Lokar kickdown that is on the slant. You will have to readjust it after about 3 days of driving as they stretch a little bit but it will be better than the crap that came from the factory.

100_4090.jpg

-
Back