Kickdown or no Kickdown

-

IRISH RT

Reaction score
Have 360 727 Trans has TF2 Kit , Have Had It here Waiting For New Lokar Cable , My Mechanic M8 Reckons I Could Drive it without any Kckdown long term as Long as I manual Shift it , I didnt want to try it ,

What are Your Thoughts ????????????????

If the kick down valve is no opened a bit or held open some ...the cluches will not get enough pressure and slip under throttle ... but I may be missing something here.
Heck I am not scared to say or ask .:D

Memike would be correct. The kickdown lever is NECESSARY to apply oil pressure to the valve body. Without it, no shift, wide open still won't shift till you reach that pressure. Finding that sweet spot is a PITA !! To hell with the kickdown, go Manual shift body and have some fun ! I did it with all my 6 cylinders and loved it !! Just be sure to SHIFT UNDER LOAD !

kick down should be used and set to shift properly if not running 1 like some 1 stated above put a lever onit and at least open it a little bit or it can tear the tranny up. I went with a manual now but I do have the cable you need and lever<( whole set up) I would let go for 50 .00+ ride all stainless wrap real simple to install it was used for a 727 to a holley so set up is real easy pm me if interested or any 1 else that could use it , but I will give you first shot.

kick down should be used and set to shift properly if not running 1 like some 1 stated above put a lever onit and at least open it a little bit or it can tear the tranny up. I went with a manual now but I do have the cable you need and lever<( whole set up) I would let go for 50 .00+ ride all stainless wrap real simple to install it was used for a 727 to a holley so set up is real easy pm me if interested or any 1 else that could use it , but I will give you first shot.

Thanx for the offer but im in Nz already got cable , so I think I will go and fit in a very tight PITA place

Either torqueflite's work completely backward down under or you need a new transmission mechanic. He apparently doesn't know how a torqueflite works, or GM's and Ford's for that matter either. On a torqueflite if you run a stock valve body no matter what shift kit is in it you absolutely have to have the throttle pressure (kickdown) linkage installed and adjusted properly because it regulates clutch pack piston apply pressure.

Chevy turbo 350's you do not need to run a kickdown as it does not regulate clutch pack pressure. Pretty sure Ford is the same but I'm not a Ford guy at all so I may be wrong on that.

That's where this no kickdown mentality came from. Chevy guys. That's the first thing they take off and throw in the ditch. I never understood why, because the transmission will still shift manually with it installed. Just because the Chevy transmission can live without it, doesn't mean it's a good thing.

It seems to cross over to the Mopar camp a LOT with newbie Mopar owners, too. I cannot count the number of Mopars I've seen come in without kickdown linkage. It's crazy. Every part on a car has a purpose. You'd think people suddenly became smarter than automotive engineers.

Yup, like Tracy said, under no circumstances run without the throttle pressure (kickdown) linkage. Also, it's not even recommended to wire the lever back. Here's why. Yup, we're fixin to learn sumffin. With the throttle pressure valve at the transmission wired all the way back, yeah, you got plenty of throttle pressure, but just all the frikkin time. This will lead to extremely harsh part throttle upshifts. So hard in fact, that I've seen a transmission break the front drum from it. So shifting manually does nothing and wiring the lever back is bad. Unless you have a full manual valve body, you MUST run the throttle pressure linkage, or the transmission will burn up high gear first, followed by second and finally first. The transmission line pressure MUST increase as throttle pressure is increased, otherwise there will be no fluid pressure to hold the clutches together as engine power increases and the clutches will fail, highest gear at the time. Oh yeah, and find another transmission guy......or learn it yourself. The Torqueflite is the easiest of all automatic transmissions to master, IMO. Even easier than the Powerglide.

Mechanic left the kick down off my torque flight...500 miles and a few yrs later (wasn't driving it much) the tranny was toast. You can get away with it for awhile...and in an emergency I'd do it, but I wouldn't do it very long and realize you're slowly hurting the tranny without it. My 2 cents learnt the hard way! Lol. Good luck

I think a lot of the confusion comes from the improper term "kick down". It really is a throttle pressure linkage meaning communication of throttle position to trans fluid pressure req'd to cause trans reactions. Fords use a cable to make the connection. For many years GM used a vacuum servo called modulator valve to do the same.
As for lack of this communication or just maladjusted connection...not good.
Fords had a small bushing in the throttle bell where their cable connected. At some year model they changed that bushing from bronze to plastic. When the plastic broke and fell out a very small amount of lost motion was result. The trans would fail in as little as a day. 900 dollar service over a 25 cent bushing. They did change that bushing back to bronze later on.

GM guys have caused themselves a fair bit of grief over the years by not understanding how the throttle pressure linkage system worked on their own transmissions. This is the main reason the TH700r4/4L60 got an early reputation for being "weak" and unreliable (early 27-spline units had some issues). GM went to a Torqueflite style throttle pressure system to control system line pressure as opposed the the vacuum modulators on TH350/TH400. They even engineered a brilliant quick adjust cable so the highly important adjustment could be performed without tools (open throttle, push button and pull cable housing tight). Didn't work. Bubba decided it either wasn't needed or it could be used to "tune" the shift points. Wrong.

That's where this no kickdown mentality came from. Chevy guys. That's the first thing they take off and throw in the ditch. I never understood why, because the transmission will still shift manually with it installed. Just because the Chevy transmission can live without it, doesn't mean it's a good thing.

It seems to cross over to the Mopar camp a LOT with newbie Mopar owners, too. I cannot count the number of Mopars I've seen come in without kickdown linkage. It's crazy. Every part on a car has a purpose. You'd think people suddenly became smarter than automotive engineers.

Yup, like Tracy said, under no circumstances run without the throttle pressure (kickdown) linkage. Also, it's not even recommended to wire the lever back. Here's why. Yup, we're fixin to learn sumffin. With the throttle pressure valve at the transmission wired all the way back, yeah, you got plenty of throttle pressure, but just all the frikkin time. This will lead to extremely harsh part throttle upshifts. So hard in fact, that I've seen a transmission break the front drum from it. So shifting manually does nothing and wiring the lever back is bad. Unless you have a full manual valve body, you MUST run the throttle pressure linkage, or the transmission will burn up high gear first, followed by second and finally first. The transmission line pressure MUST increase as throttle pressure is increased, otherwise there will be no fluid pressure to hold the clutches together as engine power increases and the clutches will fail, highest gear at the time. Oh yeah, and find another transmission guy......or learn it yourself. The Torqueflite is the easiest of all automatic transmissions to master, IMO. Even easier than the Powerglide.
Thank you RustyRatRod, I new this and was on my phone :coffee2:
But you did a MUCH better job then I could have making it clear :cheers:
Every part on a car has a purpose :glasses7:

I had a customer that had a "Chevy guy" install a B&M shifter in his dart.... He said he didn't need the kickdown linkage since that was part of the original column shifter linkage.....

2 days later....transmission needs COMPLETE REBUILD....burned up everything...

Why any Mopar owner would take any advice from a GM/Ford owner period. As everyone has obviously stated, don't run it even a few miles without it.

I tried running without a kick down and the tranny lasted about one week before it failed! Do NOT try it unless you are prepared to rebuild the tranny.

Memike and rusty are right on top of this issue. all part are required on all makes or the factory wouldnt have put it there....

Even GM and Fords need there kick down rods or cables , they have a direct connection to the detent valves in valve body to boost line pressure on demand at full or partial throttle openings

Without these the trans will fail under harsh use. Period!!!!!

Lon;

Got a Lokar Unit Fitted , With 1/4 inch free play Carb end , May need Further Adjustment havnt driven yet

-
Back