killed my oil pan, any way to fix this?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
tried to drop the 360 in my duster today
with all the rocking back and forth the K member sliced through my milodon oil pan :banghead:

it is not oozing but it is bad enough that when you wipe it it will bleed through right away

its a cut less then an inch wide

is there any way to fix this?

im not sure if I can get a welded under there (im sure I couldn't weld it myself)

but I would hate to pull the motor again

any thoughts on J-B weld or yamabond?

That sucks man!! So sorry to hear. You know you want to do it right, not just patch it and call it good. Especially with all the time you have put into it.

Couldnt you pull it with the engine in the car? Remove the center link, and drop it out the bottom? Then you could have a welding shop fix it for you.

Only way to do it right would be to pull it and weld it.

JB weld might work, but it will always be a question of when it starts leaking again. Maybe not for a really long time, or maybe right in the middle of that nice long cruise all your oil goes away. No thanks.

As much of a pain as it might be, I'd be pulling it out and welding it.

that sucks

I have access to several good welders at my job, and im sure they can get the job done
I just hate to have to pull the pan

i still need to lift the engine to install the headers anyway so maybe i can do both at the same time

Pull it and weld it and next time be careful. It's supposed to go in from the bottom anyway.

Pull it and weld it and next time be careful. It's supposed to go in from the bottom anyway.

lol, somehow I cant help but hear my das voice when I read that

(and I mean that in a good way)

I guess ill pull the centerlink and the pan, have that welded, reinstall it, install the headers and I should still have her running in a week or two

If it's the v bottom pan, did you clearance the K frame?

Well......on the bright side, if we weren't screwin stuff up, we wouldn't be learnin anything.

last couple of days I learned so much that darn car ougta give me a diploma

You could use fiberglass if you want a decent repair without taking the oil pan out. If you went several inches either way of the crack and wiped down the pan with a good solvent, I bet it would hold up for a long time.

Of course, welding it would be best.

You got too much time, energy, money, BLOOD! in it. So don't do the shade tree fix. You'll feel better afterwards.

You could use fiberglass if you want a decent repair without taking the oil pan out. If you went several inches either way of the crack and wiped down the pan with a good solvent, I bet it would hold up for a long time.

Of course, welding it would be best.

Fiberglass and metal expand and contract at different rates. With the heat cycles an engine goes through, the fiberglass will separate in no time.

One thing on the repair. you need to find both ends of the rip in the metal. Get a magnifying glass if you need to. Drill a hole at each end. Then weld it all up. If you fail to do that, the rip in the metal can and probably will migrate as a crack under and through and weld repair you do.

I had a crack in my Milidon pan and tried the JB Weld.All it did was slow down the leak..I removed it and replaced the pan...I hate any leaks.I,m gonna have the leaky pan tig welded up for another engine build down the road.

One thing on the repair. you need to find both ends of the rip in the metal. Get a magnifying glass if you need to. Drill a hole at each end. Then weld it all up. If you fail to do that, the rip in the metal can and probably will migrate as a crack under and through and weld repair you do.

got it

the crack shouldn't be hard to follow since its a scrape really

ill try to get some pictures once the pan is off
hopefully sometime this week, and then ill have it welded on Friday

I've welded a few pans on the car,, just drain the oil, leave the plug out, remove all the caps and breathers, and blow compressed air thru the engine as it's welded (I didn't have a mig, so I ventilated it while using oxy/acet),, put the plug back in,, add oil,, away you go..

One of those portable welder guys should do it in a few minutes..

hope it helps..

Having just gone through something similar over the past few weeks (I had a 4" crack in my Milodon pan), all I can say is pull it and HAVE SOMEONE COMPETENT WELD IT....I tried to weld my pan myself and totally jacked it up....apparently I'm not a very skilled welder, or the metal was just too thin, either way I totally screwed up my pan trying to save it...so bad that the only real option was to replace it. If you take it to a pro you will save money in the long run.

Oh, and I tried the JB weld thing too (don't bother)....it worked for a few days at the end of last race season as a temp fix, then it let me down on my last race when I was down to 5 cars (started dripping).:wack:

-
Back