Kings of Crash

-

hemitheus

19? Plymouth Scampenstein
Reaction score
I am amidst a bout of insomnia. So instead of tossing and turning in the bed and keeping my wife up I am watching TV. There is a show called Kings of Crash about demo derby. I have to be honest. It kills me watching these guys destroy classics. A 74 Imperial, a 77 Magnum, a 70 Dodge wagon, there were a few more mopars. One looked like a Dart or Scamp.

Now I get the appeal of destruction. I love blowing things up. But why classic cars? They arent growing on trees. If it were crown vics, LTDs Impalas, 5th Aves... Id be OKish about it. But this is hard to watch.

THoughts?

I did it many years. It is hard for the normal person to understand. We bought and ran what was best to get a win. Just search for a 72 to 76 GM wagon or a 64 to 66 Imperial as those were the best. When you do find one now they have alot of zeros in the price thanks to the numbers being so few.

Thoughts? Even the 5th's are getting hard to find and related parts for 'em. Yeah, there were millions built, but the supply is starting to run out.

As an M-body fan I sit and watch the destruction of some quality sheetmetal and hard to find parts and think the same way a lot of others do about C-'s and A-'s getting crashed.

On the other hand I can say, with some pride, there's a reason they were sought after cars for the derbies. Damned things take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

I've never been a fan of the derbies. The crashes just don't appeal to me, personally.

It's like the guys who are casually into NASCAR, watching it just for the crashes. I wanna watch a derby and see a NASCAR race break out.

Its just a hunk of steel....thats all it is....I know memories are made with your first car and it does seem special and many people can "love" their cars...I loved my first car as well, that is until I wiped out taking a curve too fast and destroying it along with a new Jeep truck. I cried never seeing it ever again...the car was hauled to the junkyard before I got out of the hospital 19 days later..I was later told the doctors said for me not to see it cause it would just get to me more..HA..instead I seen what these cars really are, just a hunk of steel and nothing really more. I love my 78 Magnum but not like a person I love, not even close...its replaceable, people are not, you can customize cars easily, you can't change a person and make them what you want.

But these old cars are drying up, it is getting more sad to see one that was just smashed, around here in Flint MI we had some dude with his 1958 Ford something car cross the centerline last month and hit a newer pick up truck, the guy in the 58 was killed--likely no seat belts and for sure no roll bar, those duke boys were on to something by welding the doors shut and having a nice roll bar in their car.

The saddest part in my eyes is that we are no longer making these old cars, no more chrome steel bumpers, no more front fenders that weight 100 lbs, now half the car is plastic it seems like, its no longer a hunk of steel but plastic, aluminum and some steel

They should use stuff from the 80s and 90s. Pretty much worthless crap.

My friend used to run the compact-car derbies...never really saw anything worthwhile there, just a bunch of 80's GM A-bodies, Ford Tempos, Hondas, and some K-cars. The place he ran did not allow Volvos, 4WD/AWD, or, after someone showed up with a Voyager and cleaned house, minivans. Saw a couple of Fox Mustangs; all I saw were beat to hell and usually rusty. (They didn't do well...the large door openings sacrificed strength, the radiator was too close to the engine, and a hit to the quarter tensed to toss the drive shaft.)

Odd as it sounds, the Holy Grail for those seemed to be a GM A-body (Chevy Celebrity, Pontiac 6000, Buick Century) station wagon with the fuel-injected 2.5 Iron Duke/Tech-4. Tough engine (all cast-iron), the car itself is about the largest the rules allow.

My friend used to run the compact-car derbies...never really saw anything worthwhile there, just a bunch of 80's GM A-bodies, Ford Tempos, Hondas, and some K-cars. The place he ran did not allow Volvos, 4WD/AWD, or, after someone showed up with a Voyager and cleaned house, minivans. Saw a couple of Fox Mustangs; all I saw were beat to hell and usually rusty. (They didn't do well...the large door openings sacrificed strength, the radiator was too close to the engine, and a hit to the quarter tensed to toss the drive shaft.)

Odd as it sounds, the Holy Grail for those seemed to be a GM A-body (Chevy Celebrity, Pontiac 6000, Buick Century) station wagon with the fuel-injected 2.5 Iron Duke/Tech-4. Tough engine (all cast-iron), the car itself is about the largest the rules allow.

GENIUS... thats the solution. Make all Derbys old minivans only. That would be ideal. I love it.

Its just a hunk of steel....
Pretty much sums it up right there....and the very line above applies, for me at least, when I see cross breeding....say the Valiant on here that was getting the LS in it....aint like the dude used a 68 HEMI car for it..there car, there funds do what you want. Went to a bike gathering yesterday. Seen a bunch of mods that I thought were a complete waste of $$....and some of them were somewhat high dollar....but it was there bike & there $$ so just looked and moved on....I try not to bash someone because they do something different.....

-
Back