kits available for disc brakes

-
Well, I've got my 69 swinger sitting here with factory kh disc....what would you offer for the spindles, rotors and calipers?

abs just came out with a 4" patern conversion kit, they are available from classic industries. i just put their kit on a couple of vehicles at the shop, easy breasy.

I'm a bit confused. The classic industries site says that it will only fit 68-72 model years. Mine is a 1974. What am I missing here. What was so different AFTER 1972???

I'm a bit confused. The classic industries site says that it will only fit 68-72 model years. Mine is a 1974. What am I missing here. What was so different AFTER 1972???
All v8 a-bodys 1973 and later had big bolt pattern. I think that is why it is listed that way. Should work on yours but should check with them.

If it were mine, I would sell the small bolt pattern craigers and upgrade to the larger pattern, parts are cheaper and no need to frabracate anything.

All v8 a-bodys 1973 and later had big bolt pattern. I think that is why it is listed that way. Should work on yours but should check with them.

Mine is a slant six. I guess /6 cars came standard with drums and optioned for discs? I looked at the ABS site and will phone them tomorrow. Seems reasonable--especially if I leave it a /6. I'm learning, but I'm slow.

Wat about Wilwood? Do they not make stuff for the bolt pattern you have or are they just not a good brand?

The spindle is different....which makes the balljoints different.....and the bearings

So is every 6 cylinder car a 9" front drum brake car. and i need a kit with spindles to replace it all.

Nope. You re-use your existing spindles/hubs/bearings (if they are still good) - Need to knock the studs out, press the hub out of the drum, insert new longer studs, drill the rotors to a 4" bolt pattern (easier than it sounds), and bolt it all together.... When you order your Scarebird brackets, you just need to specify if you currently have 9"or 10" drums.... Only because their bracket will be specific to the spindle. Jake'sputting 14"rallyes on his 65 and has plenty of clearance on the wheel/caliper... Got a few of the items on clearance at rockauto - total investment including upgrading his 65 to a dual master cylinder is approx $350 and a couple of hours of father and son time = priceless.

Search the brakes forum - member subcom did an excellent detailed write up of the conversion on his early Valiant.... this is his document/write-up: http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/...sion-guide.pdf

the kits i installed were not on mopars but were about $600 per kit depending on power or non. in my opinion unless stock is an issue theese kits are cheaper than a rebuilt kh set up. my swinger has factory kh set up and i love it but would rather buy the abs kit for my demon. abs is close to me and they are a cool bunch of guys. i was actually talking with one of their guys about giving them the swinger and demon to come up with the kit, but found that it was already in the works.

there is really no way to upgrade my car to disc brakes AND retain the 4 inch bolt pattern. Just goes to show that an impatient novice will make very costly mistakes! I have just purchased new Cragar SS wheels and tires that would be useless if I upgrade.

there is really no way to upgrade my car to disc brakes AND retain the 4 inch bolt pattern. Just goes to show that an impatient novice will make very costly mistakes! I have just purchased new Cragar SS wheels and tires that would be useless if I upgrade.

See post above, by ragtopfury. Post number 34.
Or you can use the factory Kelsey-Hays pieces. However they are getting hard to find in good condition.

Used the ssbc disc brake kit on my Barracuda. It was a very easy bolt on installation. The kit is expensive, but it has pretty much everything you need. That includes a dual reservoir master cylinder and proportioning valve. The rotors are drilled for both the 4" and 4 1/2" bolt patterns and both the 7/16" and 1/2" studs are included. If you start out with the small bolt pattern, you can upgrade to the larger one later.

Originally Posted by 67cudafb

Mine is a slant six. I guess /6 cars came standard with drums and optioned for discs? I looked at the ABS site and will phone them tomorrow. Seems reasonable--especially if I leave it a /6. I'm learning, but I'm slow.

From 1973 up /6 standard brakes were 4 wheel drum, discs were optional but required with sure grip diff option. V8 standard brakes were front discs.

All 73-76 front disc brake equipped A bodies were large bolt pattern.
All 73-76 front drum brake equipped A bodies were small bolt pattern.

Originally Posted by 67cudafb

From 1973 up /6 standard brakes were 4 wheel drum, discs were optional but required with sure grip diff option. V8 standard brakes were front discs.

All 73-76 front disc brake equipped A bodies were large bolt pattern.
All 73-76 front drum brake equipped A bodies were small bolt pattern.

I don't know about the sure grip option, but all of the slant 6 a-bodies that i have owned or looked at '73 and newer had bbp disc brakes if they were factory equipped with power brakes. They also had a bbp 7 1/4'' rear end.

On another note to the O.P., i would definitely convert your car to bbp all the way around with the discs, keep the tires, buy new Cragar SS wheels in bbp, and sell the sbp wheels you have now. That would be the cheapest and the best way to go in the long run.
Just my 2 cents.......

i have researched this over and over again.... and asper members on this board ... IF you want to retain small bolt pattern .... you are better off buying from SSBC ... the ONLY concern i have and not purchased the kit yet .... is if after installing this kit .. will the factory steelies clear the calipers on SSBC kit .. i have been told NO .... BUT rallies ( road wheels ) will clear the SSBC caliper ...

i have researched this over and over again.... and asper members on this board ... IF you want to retain small bolt pattern .... you are better off buying from SSBC ... the ONLY concern i have and not purchased the kit yet .... is if after installing this kit .. will the factory steelies clear the calipers on SSBC kit .. i have been told NO .... BUT rallies ( road wheels ) will clear the SSBC caliper ...

This has came up on the site before when using factory steelies. On some kits the directions tell you to grind on the caliper for clearence. There is one thread where the sbp had SSBC calipers with custom made 15" steelies that ended up with major problems. I chose to use the factory Mopar parts since I like the 4 piston Kelsey Hayes set up and wanted no headaches installing the parts. I picked up my first complete set in good used condition for $275. I see them sell for $300 to $350 most of the time.

Used the ssbc disc brake kit on my Barracuda. It was a very easy bolt on installation. The kit is expensive, but it has pretty much everything you need. That includes a dual reservoir master cylinder and proportioning valve. The rotors are drilled for both the 4" and 4 1/2" bolt patterns and both the 7/16" and 1/2" studs are included. If you start out with the small bolt pattern, you can upgrade to the larger one later.

I just bought a 64 barracuda with 9" drums. I was wondering if you had any issues installing the brake kit. I'm using crager sst rims that are 14x6.

Thanks
Carmen

-
Back