Kobalt - Snap On / Husky - MAC

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
I am looking to get a new tool box for Christmas because my Snap On box is all filled. I was thinking of getting a Kobalt because they are a division of Snap On. I was trying to compare Kobalt and Craftsman boxes to see which would be a better deal then I came across this.

Here is something interesting I found as I was looking for tool chests.

Kobalt too boxes and chests are made by Snap On at their Snap On tool box manufacturing facility in Algona, Iowa. Snap On also makes the Kobalt tools. The Kobalt brand uses different forgings than the Snap On as well as different materials and heat treatments.

There are three major tool manufacturers in the US; Stanley, Danaher, and Snap On. Each of these sells tools under a variety of names.

Home Depot's line, Husky, is made by Stanley Works. Stanley also makes the line of MAC tools and Proto Tools in the same plants with the same forgings.

Sears brand, Craftsman, is made by Danaher Tools. Craftsman, prior to 1994, was made by Stanley but was beat out that year by Danaher. Danaher also makes MatCo tools.

Now S-K was purchased by FACOM several years ago. Many of the FACOM tools are actually stamped with S-K. FACOM, once noted to be one of Europe's finest tool manufacturers is using much of the old S-K line now and simply rebadged them. The S-K "pro" screwdrivers are now FACOM "ergotwist" screwdrivers. There are other examples too.

Now I am really wondering about just how many toolbox manufacturers there are.

You looking for a top or bottom? Is it for work or home use is the first thing I always consider. As in being used everyday all day, or weekends here and there. Must have ball bearings for big drawers, or deep ones. For the boxes I prefer either craftsman,husky, or even some stanley. I only use them at home now, so no use in spending twice as much for a cool name and emblem. If I wanted to spend twice as much I'd buy two, or just one and buy more tools with the leftover money.

I'm looking for a top and bottom. I just have the bottom box now. When I left the body shop business a few years back I still owed the Snap On guy some money so I gave back my top box and a few tools to get rid of my balance.

Now I don't have any place to put any of my tools. So I was looking to get a new box. I was at Lowes a few months ago looking at the Kobalt boxes and saw that they said they were a division of Snap On tools. Then I was trying to find some Kobalt boxes on the web to compare to Craftsman and then came across that quote from another forum.

I can't see spending big money on tool boxes anymore. I paid over $1500 for my Snap On top and bottom box at the time and it was USED! Now for under $1000 you can get a decent top and bottom box from Home Deopt, Lowes and Sears. One thing though I can see the difference between my Snap On box the Kobalt boxes. The Snap is definaltely more sturding and thicker metal than Kobalt. My Snap On box is slider type with bearings on the bottom drawer. I would never buy another box unless it was ball bearing. Sliders are a pain in the *** especially when you have the drawer loaded with friggin tools!

Yup .. look for Stanley/MAC tools to get out of the mobile tool business soon, IMO--as they are in bad financial shape.

I am at the point of needing a bigger toolbox than my existing krl1003 roll cab. Instead of buying a new one, I think I'll add on to what I have. I've resorted to keeping some tools in my office, since they won't fit in my toolbox.

P1010062_copy.jpg

My friend recently picked up a top and bottom with side cabinet/locker, and partly full of tools of $3,500. It was Snap-On and at a pawn shop.

have you seen clarke tool boxes they're nice and strong boxes and reasonably priced we sell both clarke and waterloo imo i prefer the clarke they're just as good as the waterloo and cheaper

Do you have a BJs around you? my mom just got my dad a 41in wide stainless, with top and bottom Two sets of drawers on each, air shocks on the top drawer a very nice piece. As his snap on was full. It was only $650!

Steve

-
Back