KYB gas-a-just shocks, are they a good choice?

-

74scamp360

Reaction score
Hey guy i'm doing some reaserch about a few things before i get into swapping the motor in my scamp. One place that i need to adress is shocks and i always see the KYB gas-a-just shocks advertised everywhere and am wondering if they would be the way to go. also leaf springs will need replacing also anyone know who makes good ones?? Thanks a lot, Greg

The KYB's are a fairly stiff shock. Some people feel they're too harsh. I'm running them and they don't bother me. Decent for the price.

You can get leaf springs and other components from ESPO. They have a good reputation and "know" Mopars.

I have the kyb shocks. And I like them. They are stiff. But handle great.

Thanks 70duster440 ya the big thing that caught my eye with the KYB's was the prices, they seemed very reasonable for a gas shock, as far as the stiffness goes i'd kinda like to drive them i guess before i bought them but o well.

when you guys are saying stiff like does it feel like you're having a seizure when you're driving or do you just feel the bumps a little more? Thanks for the advice

o and 70duster440 i was looking at what you did with your dash and i really love it!! You say the company is now out of business do you know of any way to get a holt of something similar to that other then custom making it? My dash looks pretty well the same in my scamp, pretty boring and not really attractive.

The 3 way adjustables are better for racing(transfers weight to rear)When I drive on the street,they don,t handle as good as a regular gas shock.My 2 cents.I guess it depends on how you have them adjusted?

ya, i won't have my car on the track enough to make it worth while i don't think, but thatks for the tip pettybluedart. just out of curiosity who makes that shock? Do you mean the KYB ones?

I like the KYB's on my 71 dart. I expect my car to handle better and ride a little stiffer than stock so I'm happy with them.

Thanks 70duster440 ya the big thing that caught my eye with the KYB's was the prices, they seemed very reasonable for a gas shock, as far as the stiffness goes i'd kinda like to drive them i guess before i bought them but o well.

Stiff as in you'll feel more defects in the road.

No one is selling a full dashes like RM was. There are a couple of companies selling replacment cluster inserts that you have to mod for your new gauges. Redline is one of them. A search here will turn up other options.

exactly

The KYB's are a fairly stiff shock. Some people feel they're too harsh. I'm running them and they don't bother me. Decent for the price.

You can get leaf springs and other components from ESPO. They have a good reputation and "know" Mopars.

KYB is the only way I'll go on any of my cars or customers cars. Better quality, better road feel, and the best bang for the buck over Gabe's or Monroe's.

I think KYB's are the only ones available for early A's. toolman

i have them but don't have many miles on them yet. also, i have bigger bars so a little stiffer ride from the shocks isn't quite as noticable. good shocks for the money. firm feel has bilstiens that are valved for a-bodies and dick says he's gotten good feedback from his customers about them but they're pricey.

I just sold a set of four for an M body,nib...They are awesome and you will find a lot of that body roll in the corners dissapears. Best price is likely Summit.

I put non-adjustable on KYB on my Comet with a 7/8 front sway bar and an aftermarket rear sway bar. All new suspension bushings ect on both ends. When I started driving it I could feel everything on the road but they are getting a few miles on them and everything is wearing in rather nicely. The car handles like an autocrosser and the more I drive it the more I like it. I am considering the options for my notch as well---------
Rat

Check out the Edelbrock shocks, a few guys on slantsix.org really like them and I'm going to be trying them soon, as soon as the car gets back together.

http://tinyurl.com/ll4e8f

KYBs are good, I have had them on several cars, they are a little stiff on the compression side though.

i have them on three cars and think they are great. Best buy I found is from AJ USA. I believe they were $31.00 with NO shipping.

-
Back