LA 360 - Edelbrock LA or Magnum Heads

-

Kevindc

Reaction score
Hello all,

Working on the LA 360 for my Dart and need to make a decision on the heads to use. I'm going to be using Edelbrock Performer heads and thinking of going with the Magnum heads instead of the LA's. Any thoughts?

Get the LA, although the rocker setup on the eddys is much better than other magnum heads, the LA will be much more stable and better if you ever get a good sized camshaft

While I like the LA head better, the Magnum head does offer a 1.6 rocker ratio stock and a 1.7 up sized ratio. They can use the cheaper Chevy rockers. A griddle will stabilize the valve train. The head can be redrilled to accept LA intakes.

And when it comes to porting them, Hughesengines.com has a CNC program that will have them out flowing the LA heads by a nice little margin. So, if the future holds a thought of power, the Magnum head has it locked up inside waiting to be tapped.

Just pay attention to the smaller head chamber cc amount.

Ugh! What to do what to do what to do.......

Go with the LA eddy heads closed chamber they out flow stock Magnum heads and if you want more flow Hughes got my eddy LA heads flowing 300cfm at .500 lift after porting

If you use the Magnum head make sure it has the LA intake bolt pattern.

Hello all,

Working on the LA 360 for my Dart and need to make a decision on the heads to use. I'm going to be using Edelbrock Performer heads and thinking of going with the Magnum heads instead of the LA's. Any thoughts?

I read that he is thinking about using the eddy magnum head instead of the LA eddy head...not a stock magnum...

eddy magnum has a better chamber....but the LA ..better rockers..and a hell of alot more intake manifolds available.....

I just went though this on my 408.

After much deliberation I came to the conclusion that the Edelbrock Magnum head was the route to take. I had Hughes drill them for LA manifolds, deep port match them and set me up with advantageous rockers too. Plus I prefer the small chamber for my set up.

So there 'ya go. That is putting my money where my mouth is.

BTW... If you dont want to drill the Magnums for the LA style intake I will sell you my never used Magnum performance manifold cheap. Its a Edelbrock copy that Hughes liked a little, but I had too many future plans (Six pack / Dual fours) to stick with the Magnum bolt pattern.

Just got my Eddy Magnum heads, Check Exhaust ports looks like the casting is off just a little. ..
TTI head gasket won't line up very well Felpro looks a little better but still not good enough may have to weld and port....... sorry for jumping guys. .....

..................................PETE

I had read the Hughes article on the Eddy Magnum heads before and just reread it.

I think that the LA heads would be fine for what I'm going for. I've decided to go with IMM for the engine build, was over at there shop and talked to Brian. He showed me around and we talked over what I wanted, was real nice. Going to think about it over the weekend and make a decision on the heads. Going to try and put in the order Monday.

Okay went with the Magnum heads ported by IMM. It was a hard decision and there were pros and cons for both. In the end I went with IMM's recommendation. It may be silly but the additional valve cover mounting bolts for the Magnum was a big factor in my picking them. Over the years I've spent a lot of time and effort stopping valve cover leaks in many engines. Also, after thinking about it decided to have IMM build the whole motor. It's been a long time since I built an engine and the dyno break in and tune has intrigued me.

I'm very interested in seeing how this goes.

-
Back