LA block questions

-

matty mopar

Reaction score
How exactly does one tell a 273, 318, 340, or 360 apart?
Where should I look for any numbers?

right on the side of the block in the casting there is a number and the cid is in that number. also on the left side of block front under the cyl head there are markings such as FW340PXXXXxxxx

In case the front of the block is rusted and you can't read the stamping - the casting number on the driver's side above the core plugs ends with the displacement and then the casting core number. So a 318 would end in "xxxxx-318-3" or a 340 "xxxx-340-1"

No, there is a casting date on the side of the block. For example, if it were cast 4-16-69 it is for a 70 model car. The rule of thumb is, the castings were produced at least 4 to 6 months before the cars hit the assembly line.

Is there a way to tell a cast iron crank apart from a steel one based on the harmonic balancer?

......................yup, a cast crank on 340s and 360 has a ellipical weight on it, u cant miss it..........but 318s with cast cranks are internally balanced, u could check the hb #, but after 40 years it would be a gamble............kim.....

can anyone tell what kind of crank from this balancer?
balancer.jpg
[/IMG]

NO, All I can tell from that is that it is an internally balanced engine. And unlikely a 360 or later (72-3 340) engine unless someone internally balanced them.

I know i'm new here, but are you just screwing with us? Obviously you have a engine in front of you, from your pic. So tell us what it is and maybe we can help you.

I know i'm new here, but are you just screwing with us? Obviously you have a engine in front of you, from your pic. So tell us what it is and maybe we can help you.
Being in the car its harder to see the castings but if he crawled under it he could see the drivers side(maybe).Take a pic of the carb if stock that will tell everything.

just to add a cast crank balancer is stamped with "for cast crank use only" on the front of it. most of the time

just to add a cast crank balancer is stamped with "for cast crank use only" on the front of it. most of the time

only the 340 cast crank balancer has that on it..the 360 balancers do not...

I am not messing with you guys. I was looking at a car to buy. The engine is a 340, I verified that with your guys help.

I am just not sure what kind of crank it is. Don't cast cranks and steel cranks have different looking balancers on them?

I am not messing with you guys. I was looking at a car to buy. The engine is a 340, I verified that with your guys help.

I am just not sure what kind of crank it is. Don't cast cranks and steel cranks have different looking balancers on them?

Hi matty, i came off a little harsh to you and i apoligize for that. We just like lots of info. and pics and i became impatient, my bad.

73AbodEE earlier said that the cast balancers for 340s are marked as such which i believe is absolutely correct, i've personally only looked at one before and it was also. Do you know what year engine it is?

Hi matty, i came off a little harsh to you and i apoligize for that. We just like lots of info. and pics and i became impatient, my bad.

73AbodEE earlier said that the cast balancers for 340s are marked as such which i believe is absolutely correct, i've personally only looked at one before and it was also. Do you know what year engine it is?

No problem.

The block is from 68. So if it is stock, it should have a steel crank?

-
Back