LA Cam Swap In A Magnum?

-

1969GTS340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am swapping parts from the LA motor in my drag car, to a 360 magnum block due to an issue with the LA block. Everything seems to be compatible but I'm curious about using the cam. It's a custom grind from Oregon Cam Grinders with Howards solid oil thru lifters and pushrods. I was running EQ318 magnum heads on the LA. I'm weighing out the option of running this cam or sending the 360 roller cam to Oregon to be reground. Is anyone nunning an LA cam and were there any geometry issues?

No issues.
Sounds like you've already got the rocker oiling taken care of, and since you were running the EQ heads and rockers on the LA, the cam specs shouldn't change (1.5 LA vs 1.6 Magnum). Everything should just swap over, unless you've got some different deck or head machining done on one block or the other- then it's just a matter of getting different length pushrods.

Does he have to use the LA timing cover to have room for the longer snout?

I had to run .050 Cometic head gaskets for clerence of the LA pistons coming out of the hole. On the Magnum block I'm looking at a .028 gasket to gain some compression over the stock mag compression. That .~020 difference my call for a different pushrod length. We'll see.... I plan on running an LA front end, timing g chain cover etc.. I will need a different balancer.
I am running Crane 1.6 roller rockers.

Does he have to use the LA timing cover to have room for the longer snout?

He shouldn't. I measured a Magnum TC cover and an LA one years ago and I didn't get any difference in the depth and I didn't see anything that would interfere.

I've got a Magnum TC cover loose (and for sale here) so I could snap a picture if anyone was curious.

Edit - not that it matters since the OP isn't running a Magnum TC cover. :lol:

He shouldn't. I measured a Magnum TC cover and an LA one years ago and I didn't get any difference in the depth and I didn't see anything that would interfere.

I've got a Magnum TC cover loose (and for sale here) so I could snap a picture if anyone was curious.

Edit - not that it matters since the OP isn't running a Magnum TC cover. :lol:
ah... just making sure :) thanks

Doing it right now, Crane hydraulic into a 5.9 Magnum.
Just use a correct length pushrod.

I have an Oregon solid cam, Howard's lifters and Crane 1.6 rockers. Are you suggesting something different ?
What makes you think I’m suggesting something different?
(LMAO)
I read the post, most importantly what’s below. I just thought I’d make a quick note that I’m also swapping in a (Hyd.) LA cam into a 5.9 Magnum and the correct pushrods are all that I needed to do. It’ll probably be the same for you.

No geometry issues.
I am swapping parts from the LA motor in my drag car, to a 360 magnum block due to an issue with the LA block. Everything seems to be compatible Is anyone running an LA cam and were there any geometry issues?

What makes you think I’m suggesting something different?
(LMAO)
I read the post, most importantly what’s below. I just thought I’d make a quick note that I’m also swapping in a (Hyd.) LA cam into a 5.9 Magnum and the correct pushrods are all that I needed to do. It’ll probably be the same for you.

No geometry issues.

Got ya. I thought you might be suggesting a Crane Hyd for some reason lol. Not that it would a bad thing... What are running for pistons?

FWI.
Roller LA Camshaft
100_2198-jpg.jpg

Got ya. I thought you might be suggesting a Crane Hyd for some reason lol. Not that it would a bad thing... What are running for pistons?
Oh no! Run what you think or have for sure!
I happen to have a NOS Crane Hyd I picked up here years ago and now is the time. The 5.9 is a stock long block. It has a Chink intake, 750 AFB, Summit Racing 1-5/8 headers into there X pipe and will use there turbo mufflers all @ 2-1/2 ending at the axle for now. The cam is one of Crane’s special cams I think we’re designed for bracket racing with these specs.
@.050-236/236-.497/.497-108 The amount of overlap at this moment escapees me. I’ll have to check the cam card and see if it’s listed.

I think the compression is a little light, and the 108 could be moved down to a 106 for as it sits now, but it’ll be OK. A 2.02 valve would be better. Ether way, bracket engine or street engine, this will be a good cam and a reasonable package to enjoy while I put together the bracket engine for the Duster.

A bunch of Cranes cams were lift limited for some reason as if the cylinder heads could not be ported.

Do you know all of your cam specs by chance?

I found the cam card within my phone pictured below.
No overlap information provided on the card. I like to know this value myself as it’s something I’m used to dealing with on older cams and their information provided by the grinder. It’s useful for me. I’m sure somebody here could figure it out.

LOL! I’d bet, if AJ/FormS seen it and took the time he could tell me! He likes numbers & calculators.

IMG_1183.jpeg

Oh no! Run what you think or have for sure!
I happen to have a NOS Crane Hyd I picked up here years ago and now is the time. The 5.9 is a stock long block. It has a Chink intake, 750 AFB, Summit Racing 1-5/8 headers into there X pipe and will use there turbo mufflers all @ 2-1/2 ending at the axle for now. The cam is one of Crane’s special cams I think we’re designed for bracket racing with these specs.
@.050-236/236-.497/.497-108 The amount of overlap at this moment escapees me. I’ll have to check the cam card and see if it’s listed.

I think the compression is a little light, and the 108 could be moved down to a 106 for as it sits now, but it’ll be OK. A 2.02 valve would be better. Ether way, bracket engine or street engine, this will be a good cam and a reasonable package to enjoy while I put together the bracket engine for the Duster.

A bunch of Cranes cams were lift limited for some reason as if the cylinder heads could not be ported.

Do you know all of your cam specs by chance?

Yes, I have my cam specs.

Last edited:
My 2000 360 magnum engine has a comp 550 solid flat tappet cam and prw 1.6 roller rockers. Also have Smith brother 3/8th oil through push rods. I bought Mike at B3 racing engines rocker arm correction kit.

My 2000 360 magnum engine has a comp 550 solid flat tappet cam and prw 1.6 roller rockers. Also have Smith brother 3/8th oil through push rods. I bought Mike at B3 racing engines rocker arm correction kit.
What heads on top?
Compression ratio?
What is the cams duration @.050?
Thanks. Sounds like a fun set up.

What heads on top?
Compression ratio?
What is the cams duration @.050?
Thanks. Sounds like a fun set up.
Trick flow heads
11.1 compression
I think its 260 at 0.050
The engine is a stock 360 magnum with KB107 pistions. Stock crank, bore and rods. It runs ok I think
Best pass has been 11.24 at 116 in the 1/4 and 7.15 at 96 in the 1/8. I race a 96 SB Dodge Dakota. I am wanting to go faster, so I am saving up my money to build a 14.1 compression 408 with my spare 2000 360 magnum engine.

Trick flow heads
11.1 compression
I think its 260 at 0.050
The engine is a stock 360 magnum with KB107 pistions. Stock crank, bore and rods. It runs ok I think
Best pass has been 11.24 at 116 in the 1/4 and 7.15 at 96 in the 1/8. I race a 96 SB Dodge Dakota. I am wanting to go faster, so I am saving up my money to build a 14.1 compression 408 with my spare 2000 360 magnum engine.

Was the compression increase mainly due to the KB positions?
What head gasket are you running?

Was the compression increase mainly due to the KB positions?
What head gasket are you running?
Yes because of the pistons and I am useing felpro 1008 head gaskets. Also the trickflow heads have a 60cc chamber.

Trick flow heads
11.1 compression
I think its 260 at 0.050
Nice 360 set up.
14-1? Woooooooooo

-
Back