LA Mopar electronic distributor retaining clip

-

prorac1

Reaction score
Looking for a handful of the wire clips that hold the “rotor holder”? Onto the shaft.

Little wire clip, with the ends turned up.

We’re getting ready to put an advance limiting plate and change the advance springs in the distributor and would like to get some spare clips, cause I lose clips. Lol.

Chrysler part number is 1879607

Dealer says they can’t get it.

And I took our parts distributor apart and can’t find an aftermarket clip that will fit the bill.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Eric

The jesus clip! Jesus where did it fly to? Have a couple used I can spare, yes no one make them. Have to ask 5 and the ride for it.

Do not put a C clip in there you will never get it apart again. Just FYI

The jesus clip! Jesus where did it fly to? Have a couple used I can spare, yes no one make them. Have to ask 5 and the ride for it.

I’ll know more this afternoon, but I might have found an obscure location in the middle of nowhere that has some in stock. I will let you know what I find. Thank you very much sir

Do the Dodge ram magnum engine use the same clip?

No, they are completely different.

New replacement distributors have a screw and washer in the center of the shaft instead of that stupid clip.:D

New replacement distributors have a screw and washer in the center of the shaft instead of that stupid clip.:D

Well, there might be hope for us then. The parts distributor we took apart with the factory Chrysler one from 1983. The one that is actually in the car is a new replacement of unknown origin that came with the car. I haven’t got that far into it yet, but now that I know this information we will. Hopefully it’s a screw.

The first picture is of yet another factory distributor we found in A core motor we had in the back of the barn. As you can see it has the goofy factory clip.

326B8268-CF26-4234-AA2A-78995ABD459D.jpeg

The next two pictures are of the remanufactured distributor currently in the car. I don’t see any retaining clip whatsoever? Or a screw. What holds it in?

57C07F25-D505-450C-9428-6D6D8804FF84.jpeg

697C3149-4291-4A15-84AF-F9BE42175C7D.jpeg

Unless the screw comes in from the side? We haven’t pulled the distributor yet. Thanks, Eric.

Last edited:
The first picture is of yet another factory distributor we found in A core motor we had in the back of the barn. As you can see it has the goofy factory clip.

View attachment 1715310671

The next two pictures are of the remanufactured distributor currently in the car. I don’t see any retaining clip whatsoever? Or a screw. What holds it in?

View attachment 1715310670

View attachment 1715310672

Unless the screw comes in from the side? We haven’t pulled the distributor yet. Thanks, Eric.

That center piece doesn't come out?
That looks like metal in there, and the ones I have dealt with has a felt button that comes out and the screw is under it.

That center piece doesn't come out?
That looks like metal in there, and the ones I have dealt with has a felt button that comes out and the screw is under it.

This is with the felt removed. I don’t know if it’s Pressed, or if there is a set screw in the side. The distributor came with the car when we bought it brand new in a box. I don’t know if it’s a pro-form, or what it is. But it works great. We just needed to limit the timing.

We haven’t remove the distributor from the car yet. That will probably be Sunday. But isn’t that the craziest thing you’ve ever seen?

This is with the felt removed. I don’t know if it’s Pressed, or if there is a set screw in the side. The distributor came with the car when we bought it brand new in a box. I don’t know if it’s a pro-form, or what it is. But it works great. We just needed to limit the timing.

We haven’t remove the distributor from the car yet. That will probably be Sunday. But isn’t that the craziest thing you’ve ever seen?

Hm, never seen one like that before.
Any numbers on it you could Google?
Oh, Sunday probably.

Hm, never seen one like that before.
Any numbers on it you could Google?
Oh, Sunday probably.

Dad looked it over when he took the cap Off for the above pictures. He didn’t see any numbers, but I will look on Sunday when we pull the distributor out of the car. The car came with some receipts, I’m pretty sure it came from jegs.

I would guess it’s either a new car done or pro-form.

From the pictures the top piece looks brass, so I wonder if it’s not pressed on.

Worst case scenario we have two factory distributors that we can always clean up, verify the bushings are good, and use one of those.

Drill and tap the top of that driveshaft for a small Allen head screw. Install a matching washer. Pull up on the cam and measure the end play. Stick a spacer in there to take up the slack less say .020 and then you will never have to hunt for that clip again. 15 minutes work to save hours of time.

Drill and tap the top of that driveshaft for a small Allen head screw. Install a matching washer. Pull up on the cam and measure the end play. Stick a spacer in there to take up the slack less say .020 and then you will never have to hunt for that clip again. 15 minutes work to save hours of time.

Ok, I'm gonna jump right in and say it sounds like you've done that before. Care to do a "how-to"?

Dad looked it over when he took the cap Off for the above pictures. He didn’t see any numbers, but I will look on Sunday when we pull the distributor out of the car. The car came with some receipts, I’m pretty sure it came from jegs.

I would guess it’s either a new car done or pro-form.

From the pictures the top piece looks brass, so I wonder if it’s not pressed on.

Worst case scenario we have two factory distributors that we can always clean up, verify the bushings are good, and use one of those.

Sounds good, so you should be able to nail it down one way or another.
Cardone has the phillips screw under the felt. (new ones do, but not the remans)

That could very well happen, but it may already have a good way of doing it.
Just have to figure out where it is on the one he has, which is different than the clip or the screw type either one.

That’s a definite possibility also, depending out this one is attached. I’m kind of interested to pull a part Sunday and see what makes it tick now. Lol

Sounds good, so you should be able to nail it down one way or another.
Cardone has the phillips screw under the felt. (new ones do, but not the remans)

That could very well happen, but it may already have a good way of doing it.
Just have to figure out where it is on the one he has, which is different than the clip or the screw type either one.

I will make sure to take plenty of pictures to document what we find on Sunday. That way everybody on the board will know for future reference.

I sweet talked dad into pulling the distributor out and tearing it apart because I told him me and the rest of the guys on the a bodyboard just couldn’t wait any longer. LOL

He obliged, and took plenty of pictures. I’ve never seen a Chrysler distributor like this. I have no idea what’s going on in there. LOL. But it does look like it has an advanced plate built-in. @TrailBeast

Onto the pictures!

E8B0277C-65A2-4A1A-8F81-68FCBADFD755.jpeg
DBB02602-BAD3-41B3-9D72-B2E3F03BBB99.jpeg
DF6B0D36-FAA8-4C19-ACBA-F3A808C4AAB1.jpeg
39C4FF8B-8DCB-4ED7-BC3D-DAF49A2BFFC3.jpeg
16BF2E7D-78E8-4CF5-933F-D670310AAA63.jpeg
5680DC01-EA27-4F93-B110-6322CE6807D3.jpeg
34EF8785-6762-439B-951A-AB70EF141627.jpeg

Closest thing I could find on the Internet was this post from another board. It looks like what we may have here is a real deal, discontinued, Mopar performance distributor.

D4F5948B-9C9D-4AC5-89AF-212313B6C14E.png

My only concern is, it looks like one of the tabs that hold the springs might’ve been bent up. We might have to bend that backed out. But it was kind of a mystery upon disassembly.

B5C39B59-A547-4C3E-A517-368676264251.png

Or it’s an optical illusion. I’m not sure yet

Perfect. Only his springs look better than yours! :poke::poke::lol:

Yeah. LOL. I think when he was disassembling it, Dad bent that plate up a little bit, not realizing how it went together. Like I said, we were shooting from the hip disassembling it because we had no idea what we were working with. Now that we do, we know we messed it up. LOL. Hopefully he can just unbend that tab tomorrow and we will be fine.

According to the tuning tutorial I can use my degree wheel to figure out how much maximum advance we have it set for as were adjusting it on the workbench. That could be cool

-
Back