LA318 question

-
Nice. Just looking to identify the cam used?
Possible upgrade?
I always wanted to get a boat tail Dip.
Nope, don't plan on doing anything to the engine. Just curious. Don't use the car too much around town as the fuel milage isn't that good. But on the highway I get about 24mpg at 75 mph. Modified curve in the distributor, and lockup converter work in those conditions. Car only has about 155,000 miles on it. I bought it new in 1988, has never been kept in a garage, so paint doesn't look so good, but not rusted. Just surface rust, where the paint is worn.

Oh nice. Probably has those super gears in the rear. 2.45 IIRC. Yea man! Those will get it on the Hwy for sure. Around town, like you said, not so much.

Stock ignition firing the plug?

Oh nice. Probably has those super gears in the rear. 2.45 IIRC. Yea man! Those will get it on the Hwy for sure. Around town, like you said, not so much.

Stock ignition firing the plug?
No, I removed the "lean burn". Had 3 computers go bad. The vacuum advance circuitry would not function. Never stopped the engine, but you could tell it was bad, as the fuel mileage would take a nosedive. Used an early SB distributor, and 2 bbl carb. Rejetted the carb with the help of an AFM, and recurved the dist. Using the GM 4 pin ign module, and an "E" coil.

Nope, don't plan on doing anything to the engine. Just curious. Don't use the car too much around town as the fuel milage isn't that good. But on the highway I get about 24mpg at 75 mph. Modified curve in the distributor, and lockup converter work in those conditions. Car only has about 155,000 miles on it. I bought it new in 1988, has never been kept in a garage, so paint doesn't look so good, but not rusted. Just surface rust, where the paint is worn.
I screwed up when I scrapped out the 5th Avenue I had. I let the lock up 904 go to the scrap yard. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

At 24-ish mpg’s, that’s helpful here in Florida. At least when you hit the interstate Hwy’s for a trip. My ‘18 Ram 1500 gets 20 at interstate speeds. I can do better going slow on A1A. LOL! But that’s practically leisure driving at 45 mph.

At 24-ish mpg’s, that’s helpful here in Florida. At least when you hit the interstate Hwy’s for a trip. My ‘18 Ram 1500 gets 20 at interstate speeds. I can do better going slow on A1A. LOL! But that’s practically leisure driving at 45 mph.
I find keeping the rpm below 2000 is best for mileage. Even my wife's newer Buick.

I find keeping the rpm below 2000 is best for mileage. Even my wife's newer Buick.
lol, yes, the low rpm’s help. That’s why I mentioned A1A which is a very slow going route here in Florida. As long as you don’t get hammered with lights when you “Get into town”, you can do very well. In my truck, as long as I’m not in a crowded area where the larger population is, the interstate (I-95) is more relaxed, less cars. I can back the speed down a bit. The best I’ve done in the empty parts of I-95 has been 24 mpg. Nominally it’s 22.

That’s not a problem around here for the most part.

lol, yes, the low rpm’s help. That’s why I mentioned A1A which is a very slow going route here in Florida. As long as you don’t get hammered with lights when you “Get into town”, you can do very well. In my truck, as long as I’m not in a crowded area where the larger population is, the interstate (I-95) is more relaxed, less cars. I can back the speed down a bit. The best I’ve done in the empty parts of I-95 has been 24 mpg. Nominally it’s 22.
When I lived in Jax, back in the 80s, we'd Roll A-1A up and down the Coast.. Man, the were Good Times!

When I lived in Jax, back in the 80s, we'd Roll A-1A up and down the Coast.. Man, the were Good Times!
It’s a nice ride. Good views, good restaurants, I like it. My sister in law used to live beach side in Indiatlantic if I spelled that right. A block and a half from 7-11. The pizza joint on the beach has fellas from Queens NY making pizza. Did some surf casting, eat some fish… ummmm Lol!

-
Back