Lack Of Literacy Really Ticks Me Off

-
There are plenty of bad sellers. They bother me.

Not everybody is literate. I will not hold that against anyone. We never know about people’s history.

JENIUS_02.jpg

Grow up with a mother who was a substitute English teacher. To this day I cringe when I hear someone say "orientated" or "walked in through the door" (it's a doorway, unless of course you actually did walk through the door).
Unless. It's Prince and the Revolution. Raspberry beret. "in through the out door".

Tolerance is killing everything that humans are capable of. Add the technology, and it's a recipe for morons.

I understood it fine. I've been around Cajun folks enough to where I read it like they talk.

Written language is obviously not the same as speech since there's that awful grammar involved. Grammar is supposed to be a standard methiod of expressing language that is free of regional dialects or accents. It just so happens that it requires some amount of thought and/or effort to get right. There is no excuse for laziness wherever you're from.

Not to get too far off topic here but it's worth mentioning that one of the worst things that's happened in recent years to society in general is how text messaging syntax has infiltrated all forms of communication. As I understand it, it first came about as a way to get around the cost of data - people figured out how to use fewer letters to form words and still have them make some sense thus reducing their data usage. Unfortunately, it's become so pervasive that it's been adopted as a normal way of conversing. Are we that lazy now that we can't use all the letters that comprise individual words? I'll admit that I'm guilty of doing it sometimes myself but I try to keep it to a minimum. Sentence composition and grammar are going to be things of the past before we even realize it.

Here's another angle. Ever heard someone say "that's fire"? They're using a description of a default Instagram emoji to express how they feel about something. How does that happen? People aren't even aware of it.

I equate the shift in attitude and behavior to something like when a random garbage can is out in the road blocking a lane. Do you drive around it like everyone else or do you stop, get out of your car and put it back on the curb? Costs maybe 15 seconds of time and a modicum of effort.

Again, the bottom line here is that nobody gives a ****.

My wife can't hardly spell cat. She must have missed the grades where they teach phonics. And spelling. But, her childhood was a total mess, between a drunk dad, a mother that was a world lass model never home, divorce, a physially and mentally abusive step mother, but finally raised by her good grandparents after she missed the years in school that taught her to SPELL!
Sometimes, there are reasons a person can not spell.
She did graduate college wit a BS degree so she ain't totally stupid.

While I am sometimes a little frustrated with poor spelling, I do realize that it's not the most important thing to most people, and I also realize that not everyone was fortunate to have a reasonable education. The only thing that does bother me is when I see a sign outside of a business that is badly misspelled, or when I'm reading what is supposed to be a professional publication and I find multiple spelling mistakes and grammatical issues.
I'm not going to make an issue of some individual's spelling mistakes, that's not important to me as I can usually understand what I'm reading about and if not, I can always ask for clarification.

Nope. Wrong answer to my post. Let me offer a different example.

Hey honey, how much was the electric bill this month?
Answer: I paid it.
I know. I've been married for 51.5 years. I love my wife, but I bet I have to say, "Please answer the question I asked" at least 10 times a week.
I am a retired Air Force Officer, and after the USAF, I worked at the Federal Home Loan Bank in Topeka for about 20 years; first in Internal Audit and then in Market Risk Analysis. So, for 40 years of my life, vague and/or unclear written of verbal communication was NOT an option. I am so tired of people saying things that make sense to them, but the get upset if you don't understand. Example: Bob and Joe went to the store, and he bought a candy bar. Who bought the candy bar??? the person telling you knows, but they think you are a moron if you can't "read between the lines."

Please answer the question I asked"
Great post. I'm a retired Air Force Master Sergeant.

Before I ask a question, I think through what I need to know and phrase my question to solicit the answer to the question. Like said before, folks just don't want to put any effort into communicating. They also don't put any effort into listening, thus just tell us what they "think" we want to know.

Definitely frustrating. :BangHead:

Like said before, folks just don't want to put any effort into communicating. They also don't put any effort into listening,
Yup. Applies to writing as well.
Some outstanding examples of here at FABO the past few days.
Several where it seemed the person didn't seem to remember what they had written in their previous post.
I would like to say "OK folks, take a look at your previous post." However in this format, it seems better to just laugh and walk away.

-
Back