Lakeeffect's 69 Valiant

-

Lakeeffect

Drive Fast , Take Chances
Reaction score
Here it goes.

Well After a long search I finally found my Mopar. Always wanted a
A-body But never could afford one or I was too busy messing around with water cooled VWs. I sold my 04 R32 Golf before my deployment to Iraq so i was in the market for a new "fun car". I Searched around a bit at a few BMW/Audi/VW but nothing was really exciting me. The golf i had being the fastest production Vw ever and I had dump a lot of money into it. What to do? Hmm Mopar?
My Dad's been racing a Mopar on Dirt tracks since 1973. So i turned to him. He told me about the Green Brick and sent me every copy of Mopar action he had. Plus a couple of engine building books. Reading everything cover to cover. Then i found FABO the never ending supply of knowledge(THANKS!:notworth: ). I decided that a 68-69 Valiant was what i NEEDED.

Now that i got one, I'll Start my Resto thread. As I'm writing this i am still currently in Iraq But with the help of my dad i have kinda gotten started. He's taking measurements, giving advice and letting my Best friend Chris start the Body/paint work. (Wyotec hot rod paint graduate)

MISSION

Backroad burner/ Track day car. Someday NASA American Iron?

Valiant1.jpg

valiant2.jpg

valiant3.jpg

valiant4.jpg

valiant5.jpg

VALIANT6.jpg

under1.jpg

under2.jpg

under4.jpg

under3.jpg

I also wanted to add between the pictures a few captions but couldnt figure out how.

The one underbody shot you can see the " Chicken ****" weld Previous owner Put "hidden" Subframe connectors. Terrible Welds. But I consider my self a pretty good welder be it TIG MIG or stick. So ill be rewelding that.

Whats up with that trans Yoke?! it looks like its sticking waaay far out.

You can see Where the old Body trim was. My friend will be welding them closed and smoothing it all out. He said it will be a bit tricky on the body line but nothing he hasn't done before.

Oh and my new quicktime bell. T5/TKO.

Also got 1inch torsion bars waiting too.

ON ORDER

Liberty's Gear-TKO 600RR/Upgraded syncro/ Pro 5.0 - Super good to deal with and explained a lot.

American Powertrain - Clutch/Pilot bushing Also really good guys.

BELL.jpg

****.jpg

Those '69 Valiants just do it for me!
I have one right now that i'm working on, it's a '69 2 door post as well. Mine is a 100, yours looks like a 200 with the trim holes shown.
What are your ultimate plans for it?
I'm always looking for ideas.
Right now mine is converted to bbp discs in the front, 3:21 bbp 8 1/4 rear, 14" rallyes, 318 column auto. It needs some rust repair in the 1/4 panels and some floorpan work and paint. I'm considering changing it to pie plates and steel wheels and painting the car black for that plain jane look.
Keep us posted.

I guess you could call it a RestoMod. I'm going to try and stay away from the 17inch wheels.

I love the plane Jane look but I am really considering a AAR fiberglass 6pack hood. Can't Decide.

Color wise i plan on R6 Scorched red.

Wheels- (15x8 If i can fit it) Basset Inertia Advantage Asphalt wheels.
Tires - Well i have 2 sets of Hoosier Street TD DOT tires i would love to use. 27-8.5's and some 25.5-8.5s . Just a matter of fitment. If i cant get them to fit Probably go with 225x50 BFGoodrich G-force Sports. I had them on a Vw and really liked them.

Replacing my brake pedal with a Tilton Aluminum overhung triple master cylinder. Howe G3 M/C's. Remote reservors most likely. Since the old Column shift Steering shaft is pretty big and will probably Hinder the pedal mount fabrication. I will probably put in a Woodward 2 or 1 1/2 Collapsible Steer shaft. Mated to a Coleman Steering quickener. Then get rid of the Old manual box for a Firm Feel Stg3 power box. So ill get the 12-1 ratio without out the longer AAR cuda pitman/idler arms.

My Father and I contemplating doing our own arms. Based off these. http://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_menu&cat=Suspension&sub=A-Arms,%20Upper&ssub=A-Arms,%20Adjustable%20Premier They use our Mopar big ball joints.

Also plan on doing our own front sways and tieing them into the Strut rods instead of the LCA. I want to use the Firm feel adjustable ones but I am not sure if they are heavy duty enough.

After the Rave revues i have read about the Hellwig Rear bars i will most likely buy them.

what engine is in it? and are you going to keep it?

318 dated 82 as far as my dad can see. Just some headers, eddy intake and holly 4bbl. Probably Keep it around for a back up.

Were planing a 340 build. Not sure on what Bottom end we are going to do.

Block wise he has a few stock bore 340's a 4 bolt main 340 block he had done that needs 2 new sleeves put in. He also has one mystery block that from all the info i could find is a Keith black block ether built for the AAR cuda race cars or 80's Trans am. I would love to do something with that just for the COOL points. He has one Billet crank that he thinks has a bit of stroke to it.

He has a set of complete ready to go W2s with T&D rockers. He can't find the Flow #'s when he had them done. He said hes got about 5k into them so I'm guessing the flow #s are pretty high. Not sure How steetable it will be.
He also has 6 Oliver 6.123 rods. I know these are high end but not sure of feasible it would be to get 2 more. I would like it to be High reving and from what i read these big stroke motors don't like that.

He's letting me do the motor work when i get back . I really want to build a motor. He's retiring from racing and pretty much giving me free reign with the Mopar stuff.
:read2:

Nice car and yes that drive shaft is a little short. That yoke can't be in there more than an inch. Nice find.

Lake,
Love your Valiant dude!!!!

Your drive shaft is definitely to short. Should only be between 3/4 and 1 inch of the drive shaft pulled out of the trans when the car is on loaded suspension.

Here's ours. We ad a completed build thread over at bigblockdart but it looks like it got lost in the upgrade.

DSC00845.jpg

DSC00847.jpg

Lake,

First off thank you for serving and helping to keep our butts safe over here in the land of the free. Keep yours safe and return well, and soon.

I'm really digging the plane Jane / sleeper aspect of the Valiant. Back when I was a kid one of my girlfriends mom had a Valiant, same color, no offense intended - it just goes with the whole sleeper aspect.Can't wait to see more progress once you get back home. Any idea when you're coming back yet?

Nice find on the car.

Keep it safe.

Big Slim- =P~ I LOVE that color! I got a soft spot for OD green. Did you guys find a source for the marker lights? I've read some where they are the same as the Dodge Daytonas making them expensive. You got me rethinking scorched red.

Joe MC - Thanks! Not allowed saying when I'll be home, But lets say if i bust my *** I should be able to make it to Carlisle. She may not look perfect but it will get there.

I think I'll stay way from the 6pak hood for now. Plus that's a lot of cash i can put towards Go Fast cool stuff.

Been searching for a good set of Viper calipers for awhile. Finally found some yesterday. So i picked the up.

97 GTS calipers 8000 miles were on the car. Came with Pads all the mounting bolts. 300 didn't sound too bad.
Also ordered the AR Engineering Kit.

Here's a Pic of the Bassett wheels i was talking about. If you call them they can usually do any backspace you want.

1510_intertia.jpg

1595_SFI_NASCAR.jpg

Lake,
Thank you for your service!! Please be careful and come home safe.

The color on the valiant is F5 lime light green metallic.It was a PPG brad paint, their Omni line of paint. You can get it in either single stage or base coat clear coat.

I have the marker lights they're just not in.

Hey, nice car, nice plan! i also like this "plain jane" look, look at mine -found the perfect car for me in sweden.

It´s a 68 V100 with very low miles and options and it´s in very good condition.

At the moment i´m building a 408 stroker, then i want to upgrade the drivetrain to be able to run 12.xx at the strip and to play with the bigger cars......will keep the look, just want to use 15 inch wheels.

Greetings from Germany

Michael

CIMG1520.JPG

Subscribed! Nice little car! If you dig through my build thread I am pretty sure I have a link to a thread of my drive shaft build. Where ever it is, I have the correct length for a 904 with an 8-3/4 rear. If I come across it Ill be sure to let you know. Cool find though.:cheers:

Hey, nice car, nice plan! i also like this "plain jane" look, look at mine -found the perfect car for me in sweden.

It´s a 68 V100 with very low miles and options and it´s in very good condition.

At the moment i´m building a 408 stroker, then i want to upgrade the drivetrain to be able to run 12.xx at the strip and to play with the bigger cars......will keep the look, just want to use 15 inch wheels.

Greetings from Germany

Michael
Nice find! i bet these are very rare in Europe. I spent some time in Germany and cant think of a time i seen any. Cant wait to go back someday. Sehr Nettes Auto!

Thanks! Hopefully i wont have to spend the money on a new drive shaft for the 904. If i can help it. I'll try to tackle the TKO first thing. Once again Ill be going with southwestspeed.com $159 for a light weight 2inch drive shaft or 270 for a aluminum job. They got conversion u joints also. Even though i want to jump in the car and go i would rather make it safe in reliable. I would also rather only buy it once ya know:)

Dad emailed these to me. http://www.hypercoils.com/Products/Hyperco-Composite-Leaf-Springs.aspx hmmmm. They Come in "Chrysler style" I wonder what kinda Chrysler.

Here is one some one sent to me on this site cool little car... I love the hood

Isn't that a chevy style hood? Ill ether stick with the stock hood or go with the 6pak. I did talk to WS fiberglass the other day. They are pretty close to me. He said he could make my front bumper without the license plate indent . May look pretty cool with just straight across.

He said he could make my front bumper without the license plate indent . May look pretty cool with just straight across.

[-X No, no, no - You've "GOT" to keep the front plate indent for the "MoPar". or "Direct Connection". front plate.

Of course don't forget the "Big Black Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers":headbang:

Isn't that a chevy style hood? Ill ether stick with the stock hood or go with the 6pak. I did talk to WS fiberglass the other day. They are pretty close to me. He said he could make my front bumper without the license plate indent . May look pretty cool with just straight across.

Never thought of that kinda does look like a chevy hood scoopMy dad has the same one on his 67 nova..hmmmm well I still like it...But I like your idea of the the 6pak better.. it will look good on there..

[-X No, no, no - You've "GOT" to keep the front plate indent for the "MoPar". or "Direct Connection". front plate.

Of course don't forget the "Big Black Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers":headbang:

Well I was set on the front plate delete until my dad found this.

I remember this plate on the front of his old enduro/cadet cars. I remember a Satellite he raced. My sister and i would be in the back of the truck going to the races yelling CHEVY EATER!

He's been cleaning out all his old race stuff. I was so pumped when he found this.

Now should i use it or Copy it too a new plate. My friends a pretty talented artist/tattooer he would love to do this.

I think this deserves a Hell ya :cheers:!

chevy eater.jpg

chevy eater2.jpg

I knew there would be something that could go on the front bumper. I'd keep the original one for a keepsake and have your friend make one up for the car. The keepsake one would be best on the wall in the garage - MHO. By the way nice plate!

-
Back