Large vs Small ball joints

-

Hankrebel

Reaction score
I will be rebuilding the front end of my 71 swinger after the interior is done.
I've seen some UCAs rebuilt with large and small ball joints and some of the tubular UCA with both.
What are the advantages of both and what should I look for in regards to parts not working with each other.

get tubular UCAs for more positive caster with correct wheel placement in the wheel well. You won't be disappointed.

Large ball joints won't fit the pre-1973 spindles. Small ball joints won't fit the '73+ spindles. They do make tapered adaptors to let you use the small ball joints with the later spindles, but you do need an adapter. By the same token I suppose you could have the early spindles reamed for the later ball joint taper, but I don't really know why you'd do that.

As for tubular arms it depends on your plans for the car. If your car is staying mostly stock, especially for tire sizes and ride height, you can rebuild your current UCA's with the moog k7103 offset bushings to gain some positive caster and keep things stock looking. If you're going for more of a handling set up, larger torsion bars, wider, softer tires etc you'll want tubular control arms because of the additional adjustment to run a more aggressive alignment.

-
Back