Last one to post in this thread wins!

-
Torsion bars are out YEA! I just moved them back and forth a bunch of times and they let loose.
Thanks again FOG.

20190112_151028.jpg
Front suspension is out.
I hope I'm smart enough to put my car back together. LOL

Wow, very interesting about the torsion bar marks causing a suspension failure!

Gravel's moved!

Wow, very interesting about the torsion bar marks causing a suspension failure!

Gravel's moved!
Good deal Jeff glad that's done I would guess the carport is next.
I have not looked into the torsion bar marks but if FOG says they will weaken the spring than I agree with him. I got mine out without marking them up so I am good.

That makes perfect sense to me whst FOG says! They are made out of spring steel and the slightest deformity can start a stress crack. My background working on aircraft causes all that to be sensible. Just like why a set of connecting rods gets polished, to remove imperfections in the finish.

Good call FOG!

This might sound crazy but operating that little tractor with a front end loader for 3 1/2 hours kicked my butt! Now I'll drive all over it for days will pack it down. Supposed to get an ice storm tonight so the moisture will help!

Iv'e done that and had real good success that way.
I should be able to afford primer and everything to do get back on mine next week I hope. I will epoxy prime and seal it up then regular prime over that. Been a log time that I used epoxy I think they still make DP-50.

I'm glad to hear you are going that route Fred. I won't be the only one.

I've been a little nervous about using Epoxy DTM. I plan to seal it all then take it off with 36 grit where filler is needed.

That makes perfect sense to me whst FOG says! They are made out of spring steel and the slightest deformity can start a stress crack. My background working on aircraft causes all that to be sensible. Just like why a set of connecting rods gets polished, to remove imperfections in the finish.

Good call FOG!

This might sound crazy but operating that little tractor with a front end loader for 3 1/2 hours kicked my butt! Now I'll drive all over it for days will pack it down. Supposed to get an ice storm tonight so the moisture will help!
Hope you don't get lots of ice Jeff.

Hope you don't get lots of ice Jeff.

Thanks, me too Fred. The worst part of ice storms to me is the possibility of extended power outages. I have a generator and fuel all the time. We'll be fine but some older neighbors down the street concern me. Because we only have a single mobile home my 8K generator powers the whole thing.

Thanks, me too Fred. The worst part of ice storms to me is the possibility of extended power outages. I have a generator and fuel all the time. We'll be fine but some older neighbors down the street concern me. Because we only have a single mobile home my 8K generator powers the whole thing.
Glad to hear Jeff always good to be prepared .

I'm glad to hear you are going that route Fred. I won't be the only one.

I've been a little nervous about using Epoxy DTM. I plan to seal it all then take it off with 36 grit where filler is needed.
I would look into using filler over epoxy primer Jeff I here that you have to use a certain filler over the epoxy and if you use 36 grit you might as well just use filler on the bare metal then epoxy prime over that. Just what I been told and what I do.

I would look into using filler over epoxy primer Jeff I here that you have to use a certain filler over the epoxy and if you use 36 grit you might as well just use filler on the bare metal then epoxy prime over that. Just what I been told and what I do.

Gotcha, I was looking to get the whole car sealed up in epoxy to STOP oxidation. It just seems to my feeble mind the sooner I have it in an oxygen-free environment I have it licked.

I also thought that having it all one color would help my untrained eye spot the imperfections.

That's just an explanation of my thought process!

is that POR in the windshield channel BP?
Yes it is por15. 3 coats and then I epoxied over it when it was dry to the touch about six hours after the last coat. It wasnt all rust but it was sandblasted good and cleaned with an expensive alcohol based cleaner before the por15.

Gotcha, I was looking to get the whole car sealed up in epoxy to STOP oxidation. It just seems to my feeble mind the sooner I have it in an oxygen-free environment I have it licked.

I also thought that having it all one color would help my untrained eye spot the imperfections.

That's just an explanation of my thought process!
All a learning process Jeff. Your car is pretty square not much round to it so is easy enough to get it looking good.
Your car looks like it is real straight already and even in primer you will not see the factory waves unless you block it out with primer and guide coat it. And the small dents are hard to find in primer or by feel without guide coat and a long block. Just my 2 cents.

Yes it is por15. 3 coats and then I epoxied over it when it was dry to the touch about six hours after the last coat. It wasnt all rust but it was sandblasted good and cleaned with an expensive alcohol based cleaner before the por15.

Expensive Alcohol based cleaner...

Rubbing or Isoprpyl?

All a learning process Jeff. Your car is pretty square not much round to it so is easy enough to get it looking good.
Your car looks like it is real straight already and even in primer you will not see the factory waves unless you block it out with primer and guide coat it. And the small dents are hard to find in primer or by feel without guide coat and a long block. Just my 2 cents.

I like your $0.02 my friend.

That makes sense to me!

Anybody hear from Biff? Are he and the Mrs feeling any better?

Sounds like you been busy all day BP I think it's time for a drink.

Expensive Alcohol based cleaner...

Rubbing or Isoprpyl?
Isypropal i rekon . Not sure. It cost over $100 a gallon and is made by Glaserite they call it 903. PPG has the same thing. Theirs is 801 and the both smell like rubbing alcohol. Evaporates fast and no oily residue. Anti static too.

Last edited:
That's what I thought and don't forget all the sand blasting I bet your still digging sand out of your ears and every place.
I gotta tell you, that cheap little blasting hood is great. What I dont get is how does it get in my mouth too? Crunch crunch. I get the little window in the hood oriented and lock it in place with a baseball cap.

I gotta tell you, that cheap little blasting hood is great. What I dont get is how does it get in my mouth too? Crunch crunch. I get the little window in the hood oriented and lock it in place with a baseball cap.
Just add some salt and pepper to the sand and maybe some garlic powder that makes it better. lol

-
Back