Late model LA 360 any good

-

brewil

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have the option to get my hands on a TBI LA 360 which I would like to use to put my
Hughes ported Eddy heads on plus extras and eventually new roller lifters and hyd roller cam.

Are these engines any good?

Thanks

Brett

Yes... some of the late 360s even came with rollers. They are sought after by some.

No. Just an old POS truck motor. I'll give you 10 bucks for it. Shipped.

I have a '72 block but with no rotating assembly or cam or anything so wanted to get this late model LA 360 for cheap

I'm getting it for about the equivalent of $1000 and it comes with an A518 box

aaaah thanks man! Phew, Just put a deposit on it. So it would be cool to put LA eddys on and an Air Gap manifold. Will get a new cam for it as well. Any advice on springs for the heads?

so all good to upgrade the Late model La 360. WOuld it be better to use the '72 block with the late model internals?

The later engine should be a roller cam block, and have the swirl chamber heads. The 72 has... well, it's a 72.

but my fully ported Eddy heads should work on it right?
I'd just have to check compression

Might have change pistons to bring up the compression but the LA roller block is the one to have/use because that roller cam bring you into the power curve sooner and keeps you there longer.

It will work... just fine! Your late model 360 most likely will have 308 heads on it that will be easy to sell. 308 heads, in my opinion, are as good as the X and J heads. The 308's already have hardened seats/valves for todays gas. Flow great on the exhaust side, almost as good on the intake side.

TBI is not adaptable to large cams. Its firmware is pretty much locked down and doesnt flow much more than a stocker needs to flow. It wont bolt up to your E-heads anyway.

I have a LA 360 non roller cam in my dart, I put some eddy heads on it and rebuilt it. It runs pretty damn great, I have about 1100 miles on the rebuild and it hasn't had any problems at all!

I'm not sure of the condition of this engine so if I rebuild it will prbably be pistons, cam, manifold, carb. Would love a new TBI but way outta my price range.
I have new roller cam chain and water pump and a few extras

I'm not sure of the condition of this engine so if I rebuild it will prbably be pistons, cam, manifold, carb. Would love a new TBI but way outta my price range.
I have new roller cam chain and water pump and a few extras

Thats what I did with mine, it ran before but showed its age. What are you wanting to achieve with this engine? cruiser, drag etc?

Well my combo is a 360 with stock rods and crank, .30 over kb 107 pistons, eddy heads with nothing done to them. comp XE 268h (tad bigger wouldnt hurt) weiand intake, holly 650, dougs headers and flowmaster 40s. Runs really strong on the street, needs more gearing in my case though, 2.76 dont do it justice. Its definitely got my attention a few times. Cant even remember how many people complimented the sound of the combo as well.

any suggestions for pistons?
Wanted to go forged but way too $$$

The KN-107's are good. IRRC, it is speed pro that sellsa similar piston with coated skirts for a little more. Zero deck the slugs and use a .039 thick gasket. I did this combo a couple of times with excellent power results.

-
Back