Late model manual trans?

-

wayneswirld2

I need a vacation...
Reaction score
My apology if this subject is covered elsewhere, but I'm wondering if there is a late model manual trans that will work behind a 225 slant six in early A-bodies.

If there is, anyone have any ideas as to what the swap entails?

Wayne
Austin, TX

My apology if this subject is covered elsewhere, but I'm wondering if there is a late model manual trans that will work behind a 225 slant six in early A-bodies.

If there is, anyone have any ideas as to what the swap entails?

Wayne
Austin, TX

Maybe a T5?

Isn't the T5 a Ford trans? I'm not looking for tons of fabrication, just a relatively simple(ish) swap....

Wayne

My '66 Valiant is getting an 833 OD tomorrow. Just needed a '76 up slant/OD trans bell housing, clutch fork to match, front drive shaft yoke, and the transmission. You will also need something to cover the humongus hole you need to cut in the floor. There is a thread on slantsix.org that details the installation of a Toyota Supra 5 speed behind a slant.

Isn't the T5 a Ford trans? I'm not looking for tons of fabrication, just a relatively simple(ish) swap....

Wayne

Unless you already have a manual and until Passon has his 5-spd ready, no such thing.

Yes, the T-5 is a Ford tranny. As of now, it's the "easiest" late model trans swap, and yes, it requires some fabrication, and plenty of research.

If you're not into either and assuming you have an auto, I'd stick with an 833 swap. Passon's modern 5-spd will directly replace the 833, but it won't be cheap, and you'd need all the manual conversion parts and work anyway, so you could always do the 833 swap now and upgrade to the Passon 5-spd later. That's the easiest route.

How hard is it to get an A-833? Are they common? I've actually never had a manual mopar,all have been automatics. The last 5 speed I had would have been in my 5.0 mustang,so a T5! Was a nice shifting tranny.

T-5's came in GM's, Fords, Jeeps, AMC's, Nissan's, Honda's and Isuzu. They came in just about anything that was rear wheel drive there for awhile, truck, van or car, execpt for maybe Mopar's.

Russ.

-
Back