LCA Pin Bushing coming unseated

-

smartken22

U.S. Navy Senior Chief
Reaction score
I am in the process of rebuilding my front end and I am having issues with the lower control arm bushing backing out from the control arm. Here are some pictures of what I am talking about. Any suggestions? Everything is good to go until I tighten down the sway bay links and it backs out. The torsion bar is installed and clipped. Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• 2011-12-24_11-15-06_233.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 268
  • 2011-12-24_11-15-34_632.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 260
I have the same thing happening. I was going to finish assembly then drive to torsion bars in and put tension on them thinking they wouldn't back out then?

I have the same thing happening. I was going to finish assembly then drive to torsion bars in and put tension on them thinking they wouldn't back out then?

So shoud I keep on pressing with the build? Do you plan to reseat the bushing before you load the bars or are you going to load the bars and hope the bushing comes back in? How frustrating!

I am hopimg to put a bit of tension on them, the when I drive the bar forward the bushing gose to the stop where it should be. Once in place I was thinking I could tighten them then. I don't know if this will work or not.

Was the bushing loose in the shell when you put it together? With the OEM rubber bushing bonded to the shell to prevent this kind of problem, it stands to reason a loose fit on the urethane bush could have this going on.

On their website in the section on adjustable strut rods, Firm Feel makes note of the possibility of the lower control arm bushing sliding back and forth on the pin if you use a urethane strut rod bushing because the design is based on the thicker design for B & E bodies and not the thinner A body one, but they don't say anything about lower control arm bushings sliding in and out of their shell. If you push the bushing back into the lower control arm, does the lower control arm move out on the bushing again when you sweep the suspension up and down through it's travel? You didn't grease between the bushing and it's shell did you?

One things for certain, the problem is likely not to go away on it's own and you are right to start addressing it now before the car is completely back together, as not doing so will leave you with a car with control issues that will be unsettling to drive with at the least, and more probably outright outright dangerous. That's discounting the premature wear issues and possible parts breakage.

Looks like you have a Firm Feel greasable pin, have you called Dick Ross to get his input? I would think if anybody has an answer, it would be him.

I was told by several mopar folks when i rebuilt my front end not to use the poly bushings in the lower control arms because of this problem i used rubber bushings there and poly everywhere else.

That's what tend to happen with poly lowers, BUT it should not happen just when installing the sway bar or tightening up the strut rods. If you get the geometry right, this will be less prone to happen.

The one-piece is the early bushing and a PITA to install, especially in poly. I like the two-piece and it can be made to work even with the early strut rods.

If your using pre-73 strut rods with poly bushings see this thread: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=169624 The poly strut bushings are too thick for early strut rods and will push the LCA back causing the bushing to slide off the pivot pin.

I am using the Hotchkis adjustable strut rods...no bushings required for that setup. I did some adjustments on the rod ends and re-loaded the sway bar and everything stayed put this time. It looks like a geometry issue like mentioned. It took me three adjustments and each time the bushings came in more and more. The third time they were seated against the LCA pins perfectly. Thanks for the help guys...as always, you guys come through!

Did you have to shorten or lengthen the strut rod?

-
Back