LCA sway bar tab question

-

AG340Dart

Reaction score
I am adding a factory sway bar to a 72 Swinger just wondering if its worth switching lower control arm to one that has the sway bar tabs or should i modify original to accept bar? also are 72 lca with sway bar tabs the same as 73 and up or is the mounting location different?

I am adding a factory sway bar to a 72 Swinger just wondering if its worth switching lower control arm to one that has the sway bar tabs or should i modify original to accept bar? also are 72 lca with sway bar tabs the same as 73 and up or is the mounting location different?

67-72 LCA tab locations, sway bar, and K-members are different than 73-76 LCA tab locations, sway bar, and K-members.

The 67-72 has a wider sway bar that mount in front of the k-member. The 73-76 sway bar is narrower and goes through a hole in the k-member.

There is no hole in the 67-72 k-member to take a 73-76 sway bar through it.

Here's the difference in LCA's

LwrCntls.JPG

Here is the addco bar mounted "off-car". The tabs were positioned and welded on the bench. As provided, they get a single bolt mount. Worked out pretty well. Much improved handling.

Are there any schematics on welding one of those tabs on non swaybar control arms to get them in the exact place, would like to do it on mine and make my own mount tabs but have them in the exact location to mount any sway bar kits

If you'll bolt it all together under the car the bar will show you where the tabs go. No rocket science required. :)
I guess I should take that comment back since the pics of the Addco bar show the tabs upside down from where factory located them. Maybe Addco is different. factory bars tab goes to the bottom of the arm.

We tried several ideas on my son's 67 fastback, including factory LCAs with tabs, but he wanted stiffening plates so I deicded to make some with an integral sway bar tab.

2317245271_21b361abdd_o.jpg

2318053358_e89a1f32f7_o.jpg

There is no hole for the LCA bumper as we are not running on that car, but it would not be a big deal to add the hole. I wish the companies making stiffening plates would run with the idea...........

Well the older arms look easier to make a tab since its on the bottom, anyone have any tips for the 73 style? i can see it on the addco kit but I'd only be guessing the placement and size of tab, or are there any cheap aftermarket OEM control arms with tabs out there?

i can see it on the addco kit but I'd only be guessing the placement and size of tab, or are there any cheap aftermarket OEM control arms with tabs out there?

No cheap aftermarket control arms.

Well the older arms look easier to make a tab since its on the bottom, anyone have any tips for the 73 style?

Actually I think the older ones are harder. The tab needs to be bent in a little so it doesn't hit the front lower ball joint bolt. It's sort of the same tab, with the legs bent in so as not to hit the lower ball joint bolt.

To make a 73-76 tab:
  • Get some 2" x 3" square tubing or 2" x 3" channel.
  • Cut the end across the 3" side diagonally 3" back to make a 45 degree cut.
  • That will leave you a channel cross section that is 2" wide with two 3" tall legs.
  • Cut those two legs 3/4" back from the tip to make the legs 2 1/4"
  • Drill a 5/8" hole centered 2" from the back of the legs

That mount will be about 1/2" lower than stock. Not a big deal, you can just run a shorter end link spacer to compensate. You want to set the sway bar arm level to the ground at ride height. That will also be level to the sway bar tab. The factory tab is angled down slightly toward the center of the car. The angle is relative to the LCA flange.

I just made one out of cardboard

FabSwayBarPosition.JPG

FabSwayBarHoleLoc.JPG

FabSwayBarDimensions.JPG

You could make the piece out of 4x2 square tubing or 4x2 channel and put a notch in it like this. That would put them more at the factory height, but they are not as simple to make.

I forgot where I got these pictures. But I think the top one is installed 1/2" lower than stock. Like it's not taking advantage of the cutout on there.

73_76SwayBarTabsInstalled.jpg

73_76SwayBarTabs.jpg

Is there that much flex in the arms?

What is the thickness of the plates?

Looks like a great idea!

Thanks!

Not much flex in street use.

When you run big t-bars that are 3-4 TIMES the spring rate as factory ones the impacts are harsher. Also a 1 1/8 sway bar has about twice the rate as a factory one. So a reinforcement tab under the sway bar tab could help flexing there. Especially if you later put solid heim end links to replace the bushing setup.

I don't remember the thickness of the plates, but to follow up on Steve's comments. The car in question is running an iron-headed 383 with 1.14" torsion bars and a 1.25" front sway bar.

There is no hole for the LCA bumper as we are not running on that car, but it would not be a big deal to add the hole. I wish the companies making stiffening plates would run with the idea...........

Are those on the car and in use ? That tab looks like it will bend without the gussets tied back to the sides of the arms for strength.

The aftermarket stiffening plates are too simple to produce as thay are. No left hand or right hand, no various swaybar tab locations. They aren't even bent. To run with your idea would mean 4 more part types plus what they offer today for those who dont need or already have the factory sway bar tabs.

Anyway... I have 1/2 dozen arms here that dont have any tabs. If I decide to buy tubing to make my own frame ties I might make some of those tabs from the scraps.

-
Back