LD340 "real" value

-
This hobby is full of myth.Once something is promoted it quickly becomes the be all to end all, everybody believes it and has to have it.
But for enthusiasts the LD340 is a period piece for the old guys that lived and raced during that era.
I still can't believe guys think a 6 inch piece of pipe makes horsepower.
AKA. H pipe

This hobby is full of myth.Once something is promoted it quickly becomes the be all to end all, everybody believes it and has to have it.
But for enthusiasts the LD340 is a period piece for the old guys that lived and raced during that era.
I still can't believe guys think a 6 inch piece of pipe makes horsepower.
AKA. H pipe

You bring up a good point. “Myth”. Back in the 80’s when I was street racing a Demon. The LD340 was along a few only aftermarket intakes available for small block MoPar. The LD340 (later was the 4b something and then the Performer), Torker, a Tranula, (both single planes) and a giant tunnel ram was the basic options over stock. Bow ties and Ovals had a lot of new stuff to try but the LD340 was all we had for street use for small block MoPar. Hence when us older guys look for a proven intake for our later life builds...and now we have money... we pay more for what we know.
Same for a lot of stuff. Way better adjustable rockers out there now But the 273, is still my go to.

As for the “H” and “X” pipes....

As for the “H” and “X” pipes....

Ford engineers must have thought there was a benefit. There were H pipes on every dual exhaust system in the 60's and 70's.

An H pipe reduces and softens the exhaust sound.This allowed the use of less restrictive mufflers
for their performance models especially the big blocks.

Evening all,
I was looking at parts the other day and came across a few LD340 intakes for sale for $799 and they claim it was because of the Chrysler part number... if that's the case I'll post mine for sale as it has the Chy# as well (attached photos). Anyways, curious more than anything on why sellers are asking so much. They are a great intake but wow....

View attachment 1715325715

View attachment 1715325716
They're out of production and one of thee best small block Chrysler intake manifolds in existence.

Check out where they're used and you'll see national record holders and screaming 340's. They actually flow really well as cast and have a very nicely even transition from the flange into the runners roofs, add a spacer and it only gets better 'to a point' then you move to something else like vic340/supervic...and they aren't cheap either.
After 50+ years they are still performing right with their newer RPM offerings.. now how about that? ...50 something year old manifold... **** it's a collectors item..yet it's still in use and sought after to this day!
You can go to the swap meets & the car shows and look at twenty-five or thirty different "vintage" intake manifolds ..and look at the price difference between the ld340 and the others..if there even is one because that's the only one that ever sells most of the time all the others you'll see year after year return because they're cast aluminum dog turds in comparison.

You can buy a rpm/airgap all day anywhere from 460-500 something...not rare...no story... so yes you'll pay that or more.

Yes I woke the dead..

This sucker has been king for decades and still deserves respect!

20220202_180612.jpg

Perfect condition 450$. good, condition 200 ish.

When you look you see everything from stripped threads chipped or milled off coil Towers, ported on or a horrible gasket match job, corroded most of the way through the cross over points, milled...

Its a broad spectrum..between rough as ****/needs repairs and clean as new looking needing nothing but bolted on...
But imo it it would have to be really fkd up to be only 200.00 bucks. You cant buy a new performer for 200 bucks, used they're 175 anymore...and it's not like its old/historical'.. it's just someone old used ****....It's also not a great performing intake , compared the to LD340.

Bolt holes stripped, deep corrosion pits, towers cut off, oval'd holes or milled so you need a stack of gaskets to seal it... now its $200.oo lol

When you look you see everything from stripped threads chipped or milled off coil Towers, ported on or a horrible gasket match job, corroded most of the way through the cross over points, milled...

Its a broad spectrum..between rough as ****/needs repairs and clean as new looking needing nothing but bolted on...
But imo it it would have to be really fkd up to be only 200.00 bucks. You cant buy a new performer for 200 bucks, used they're 175 anymore...and it's not like its old/historical'.. it's just someone old used ****....It's also not a great performing intake , compared the to LD340.

Bolt holes stripped, deep corrosion pits, towers cut off, oval'd holes or milled so you need a stack of gaskets to seal it... now its $200.oo lol
I see you're point but to me time is money and the amount of time and work that it would take to make a good manifold out of a POS as described would really drop the price. I'm totally shooting from the hip

-
Back