lead weight or sand bags

-
Last year I just used the sand bags I had left over from winter I used in back of truck. A few people I know at track have set-ups where they just use olympic weight for weight and bolt them down

Troy

Ryan,

Go to your nearest tire dealer and buy some used tire weights. Scrap wheel weights in my market as of today sell for .38/lb. Check your local prices but your market should be close to mine. Dan

how much wieght did u use and one big bag or I was told they make plastic tubes that work sell them at tractor supply but cant find any

I have 300 lbs of playground sand in 50 lb bags in the back of my truck. each bag was $2.99 at my local building supply place.

go to home depot. they have play sand, 50lb bags, mixture of fabric and plastic, pretty tough, keep them in good shape and they will let you return them when done.

Tough bags. Been riding around with me for a couple of years now.

How big...?? I'd guess 20-24" tall, 12" wide, 6-8" thick. Similar to a bag of cement.

If you're looking for race car ballast and don't go the secured weights or weight bar route, consider this suggetion:

A heavy anvil or vise in your spare tire well, covered by "spare" tire (the biggest tire that will fit in there on a heavy steel wheel...and fill that tire with water (7 lbs per gallon).

I say that as ballast that isnt't secured is illegal at NHRA and IHRA tracks for a good reason. If you go through tech with a "spare tire" (secured with the wing nut, of course) you shouldn't get harassed.

Off topic, how do you like your 4.7 for towing??

Just thinking out loud but I think solid bar stock that is fastened in place with hardware would be much cleaner and safer in case of an accident.... I wouldn't want loose materials (300lbs) being tossed around in a roll over...

Just my 2 cents....

Tough bags. Been riding around with me for a couple of years now.

How big...?? I'd guess 20-24" tall, 12" wide, 6-8" thick. Similar to a bag of cement.

If you're looking for race car ballast and don't go the secured weights or weight bar route, consider this suggetion:

A heavy anvil or vise in your spare tire well, covered by "spare" tire (the biggest tire that will fit in there on a heavy steel wheel...and fill that tire with water (7 lbs per gallon).

I say that as ballast that isnt't secured is illegal at NHRA and IHRA tracks for a good reason. If you go through tech with a "spare tire" (secured with the wing nut, of course) you shouldn't get harassed.

Off topic, how do you like your 4.7 for towing??

i would do that if i had a spare tire well expect my car is tub and they cut it out and put a flat piece The 4.7 does all right but i would rater have some thing esle like 5.7 or cummins the 4.7 loss compresion at 90000 miles and had to be replace under warranty now the tranny is messing up

I don't have pics but we did a G/SA Duster. 2x2 heavy square tubing about 18-24 inches long,welded a plate cap on one end, got used wheel weights from tire store (free)melted the weights into the square tube,let cool and welded that end shut.Drilled 2- 1/2 inch holes into the bars,4 grade 8 bolts with nyloc nuts,drilled rear frame rail close to the bumper brackets,mounted the bars. This was 10 or so years ago so not sure of exact weight but I think he was looking to pick up 100 lbs. Passed tech no problem.You can also mount to trunk floor near tail lights but I think it has to tye into the frame.

I don't think sand bags will pass teh. Wheel weights melted on an outdoor cooker and por into a mold is what a lot of stock car guys do.

My buddy uses 3x2 square tubing, capped and welded the end, filled with buckshot. His is 100lbs, and he can adjust where it's bolted as needed. I would NOT use unsecured ballast.

A wholesale plumbing supply should sell lead bars. I fabed metal boxes that were open on top and had a strap that clamped them to the back bar of the roll cage. There were three on each side and could be removed one piece at a time to obtain the proper weight. All total we used to run about 400 lbs in the trunk. It definitly needs to be bolted in. Rolled a car at the strip on time, if that lead had come lose, just no tellin? Hope that helps

i would do that if i had a spare tire well expect my car is tub and they cut it out and put a flat piece The 4.7 does all right but i would rater have some thing esle like 5.7 or cummins the 4.7 loss compresion at 90000 miles and had to be replace under warranty now the tranny is messing up
You didn't say it earlier, but this implies it's for your race car, not for traction in the snow, etc.
If you don't mind hurting, or even killing yourself, that's up to you. But, I hope any illegal ballast doesn't fly out and hurt anyone else. Example: It lands in the other lane and the driver in that lane can't avoid it.

All I remember was a 5 gallon bucket full of wheel weights can hardly be moved.Melted with a O/A torch to fill the tubes .

-
Back