Leaf spring shackle angle

-

340MPR

Reaction score
Hi guys,
My swinger had the original leaf springs with extended shackles that I swapped out for Dr. diff offset hanger & shackles along with new +1” springs from Espo. What do you all think of the shackle angle? Ok where it is or should I add spacers behind the shackle bracket to move the pivot point forward?
Thanks, Mike N.

8C8741F9-3218-435F-95B4-373256CB7271.jpeg
8F339FC8-6EDB-44C3-AA63-F6C98D90A227.jpeg

Have you driven the car for at least a few miles on the road?? Are those nylon lock nuts??

I think it is OK.
As long as shackles do not flip forward they are OK.
That being said I would add a spacer if it was on one of
my race cars.
Your bolts are questionable.

Last edited:
Have you driven the car for at least a few miles on the road?? Are those nylon lock nuts??

sure does look like the bolts don’t fully extend a few threads out the lock nut..

Until he drives it down it road a little he really won't know when the shackles will end up??

as long as the shackle doesn't move past the 3 o'clock position its fine. Leafs get longer as they flatten out so as sated you need to put some miles on them.

Yes those are the nylon locknuts that came with the Dr. diff kit. I haven’t tightened anything yet I just have them on by hand, once tightened yes there will be threads past the nuts. Still have a foot of snow on the ground here so talking it out for a drive isn’t an option for awhile yet.

Yes the tires are on the ground with full weight of the car on them.

The Superstock springs get much SHORTER in rear segment as the car lifts on initial hit
of acceleration if your pinion angle is correct!

I made some extra solid steel 3/4" spacers that I use on my car. You'd need longer Grade 8 bolts.

To get more reaction you can put spacers behind the bracket. They should correct more once they settle. Otherwise for fresh install they look good

235159-60b3d8fab757891ea8ceff39de3f7a4f.jpg

Thanks guys, I’ll tighten everything up and see how it drives in a few months. Seeing as the shackles fall in the acceptable position I’ll let the springs settle before looking at a spacer.
Cheers, Mike N.

I have the same shackles on my 70' Dart but Mancini +1" XHD leafs, they looked the same way, I've had them on for 6 or 7 years, they lean back a little more now, never had a problem.

Should I have all the weight on the rear before I torque front eye bolt, u bolts, rear shackle bolts. I know torque on u bolts are 45, what’s the ft eye (5/8) and rear shackles.
Thanks

Bolts should stick out at least by the diameter of the bolt plus 1/8.

I’m asking for shackle angle? They look almost straight up and down. Seems the car is higher than I expected. I have jacks under diff. so weight on the rear. 17 x 8 / 255/45/17 (26.1’’)
I hope I didn’t get SS springs !!

IMG_1757.jpeg

IMG_1763.jpeg

put the car on the ground, fill fuel, spare tire etc. take a short drive to settle front and rear suspension. I would shim fwd if my car looked like that after a short test drive.

Just like was mentioned before, if those are brand new springs they WILL settle, so the shackle being vertical is fine. When the springs settle in you’ll have the right angle.

Most leaf springs now will settle quite a bit. Check your spring numbers to be sure, but after a few hundred miles your ride height will likely be lower.

Here’s pics of front segment and better pic of shackle. Also I can’t drive it yet dash ,interior, etc. still in progress. Also don’t see #s anywhere on the springs.

IMG_1766.jpeg

IMG_1768.jpeg

IMG_1769.jpeg

IMG_1770.jpeg

Yeah I wouldn’t worry about the shackle angle. Load the car up and drive it and the shackle angle will take care of itself.

Your right and left springs are different though, which is usually a Super Stock thing. There should be numbers either stamped or painted onto those spring somewhere, you’ll want to confirm that you actually have the springs that you want.

So looking at other pics i think I put right leaf on left side and left on right.
Remember they came with front and rear hangers installed. The nut’s should face out correct?

-
Back