leaf spring u-bolt/plate problem

-

green67cuda

Reaction score
is it just me, or should the spacing on the shock plates NOT be 2.5" ???
the U-bolts are 3", the housing is 3", but the bolt holes are 2.5" apart, or 3" ON CENTER

wrong plates??????

just found that Mancini sells U-bolts for a 7 1/4

AND.......they're 2.5" bolts.......crap.....

i'm looking at these plates.....I bet I can make my own....1/4" plate steel, with 1/4" plate gussets for the shock mounts....
basically just the same as the factory stamped pieces, but with the sides and bracing welded instead of stamped.....

then some 1/4x1/2 bracing welded across where the stamping is raised across the plate to prevent bending when the u-bolts are tightened.......

The 7.25 axle has 2.5" tubes, the 8.25 & 8.75 axle has 3" tubes. The shock plates will have holes to accomodate either 2.5" or 3" u-bolts depending on the axle used.

When I swapped the 7.25 axle for an 8.25 in my Barracuda I elongated the holes in the shock plate by 1/4" to the outside to accept the 3" u-bolts.

Also, I got the u-bolts at NAPA for about $5 each.

Ive made my own plates for my truck an there way better then anything the factory makes so i say just make your own

WOW..... :scratch: not that it has ANYTHING to do with shock plates......but 30
:mrgreen:

im sorry. it was kind of a stretch to even be similarly related... i was thinking of it when i read the 8.25 / 8.75 used 3" plates. my mind does wild flips and stuff , but i think up some good sh't.

-
Back