Leaking water pump bolts.

-

yellowghost

Reaction score
Need a little advice. Removed my water pump to change a leaking gasket, or what I thought was a leaking water pump gasket. The lower side bolts were really tough to get off, the alternator side bolt was siezed and I actually had to grind off the head and get it off with vice grips later. When I removed those two bolts, antifreeze poured out of the holes. Is this normal? Or an indication of something else. Can't see how the antifreeze could have gotten in there unless the water pump bolts thread right through the block and into the water jacket.

Yep, normal. Those bolts go directly into the water jackets in the front of the block. You need to seal them with pipe thread sealant when you put it back together. toolman

ARP has a thread sealer for that. I'm sure there are other brands. RTV would probably work.

I used the black rtv if i remember correctly. so far antifreeze is the only thing this car doesent leak. :toothy10:

Need a little advice. Removed my water pump to change a leaking gasket, or what I thought was a leaking water pump gasket. The lower side bolts were really tough to get off, the alternator side bolt was siezed and I actually had to grind off the head and get it off with vice grips later. When I removed those two bolts, antifreeze poured out of the holes. Is this normal? Or an indication of something else. Can't see how the antifreeze could have gotten in there unless the water pump bolts thread right through the block and into the water jacket.
Use the blue Permatex RTV on the bolts

You can use teflon tape too. Works great. Be sure to apply the tape with the threads. 2 1/2 wraps. It will protect the bolt from rusting.

I have the high temp thread sealer. I think its permatex. I used it on my temperature sender on the manifold. Would this work as well?

Jeff

I would retap all the bolt holes on the block... especially since you had a rough time with the bolts. I did this to mine and it made a world of difference for getting the bolts back in. Stainless bolts is what you want as well as some type of sealer.

-
Back