Leaks!

-

bozvaliant

Reaction score
Hi,

Just got my 360 Magnum in my Dart running today!!!:D Found a small water leak coming from around one of my freeze plugs.:banghead: It's very small, should I put some aluminum sealer into the cooling system, or bite the bullet and change the plug. The engine is from Mabbco motors. They supplied my short block. The other leak is coming from the timing cover where it meets the oil pan. It's a Felpro one piece oil pan gasket, and for some reason there seems to be a space where the timing cover meets the oil pan. Should I drop the pan down and add rtv?:violent1:

Thanks

I would fix it right. The aluminum sealer stuff can cause overheating down the road. If the freeze plug is not behind the transmission than should be simple repair. The oil pan can could be a little more challenging.

Ian

I agree with the others, if you can get to it, replace the freeze plug. Droping the pan isnt an issue unless you have headers and/or a kicked out pan.

MAgnum pan? sorry, never owned one...are they different than a LA360 perhaps they dont mix and match if that could be the case..

If I recall correctly the Magnum oil pan gasket doesn't work with LA pans. You need n LA pan gasket, such as an FEL-1807

If I recall correctly the Magnum oil pan gasket doesn't work with LA pans. You need n LA pan gasket, such as an FEL-1807

This is true. I tried to use a 1 piece gasket on my LA pan and on each front side it had a huge gap.

And x10 on fixing the freeze plug right. I generally use some high tack sealer on them to help prevent leaks

I had a small leak from my one soft plug so what I did was clean the cooling system, then drain it and put fresh antifreeze/ water mixture in and added a small tube of silver solder. That was about 4 yrs ago. No more leaks and no heating problems so IMO with a clean cooling system, silver solder will do no harm...

I didn't know that the one piece gasket didn't work on a non magnum oil pan. The pan is now sealed. Nothing that RTV didn't fix. It was a pain in the a## to get the oil pan removed with the TTI's installed. I had to remove the collectors and remove the header bolts to allow the headers to move enough to drop the pan. I was glad that the header gaskets sealed again. Thanks for all of the advice.

-
Back