Leaky valve cover follow up.

-
I plan to use the same technique. Been married over 40 years with no complaints, hopefully I can please the Gypsy Queen hahahaha
I hear you! We're in our 29th year now. Time has absolutely flown by.

Silicone work really well on machined surfaces.
Cast rails, not really at all a good choice

Silicone work really well on machined surfaces.
Cast rails, not really at all a good choice
Tell that to my slant 6. They all have machined valve cover rails. I honestly believe the valve cover would have sealed better without a gasket at all. lol

Tell that to my slant 6. They all have machined valve cover rails. I honestly believe the valve cover would have sealed better without a gasket at all. lol
I kind of meant that with a sturdy valve cover like the mp cast aluminum... unless you have a valve cover like that then I don't know what but can say & recommend the cometic rubber coated fiber it is a great sealing gasket, I had my valve covers off and on many times while Dyno testing.
The other thing with the big blocks factory head is the bolt hole bosses on the lower 4 I believe are at a slight angle and with a slippery gasket can easily not seal since there's only a little bit is pinched between the valve cover and head.

I would clean the gasket and all sealer off the cover, and fit it to the head, without a gasket, to see if it sits flat, or has a rock or a space that you can get a substantial feeler gauge through.
A bad cover flange on the head and the angled cover bolts will make a cast cover hard to seal. The fabbed covers can be even worse.

I would clean the gasket and all sealer off the cover, and fit it to the head, without a gasket, to see if it sits flat, or has a rock or a space that you can get a substantial feeler gauge through.
A bad cover flange on the head and the angled cover bolts will make a cast cover hard to seal. The fabbed covers can be even worse.
I checked the head and the valve cover. They are not laser flat, but it is so minimal the square only moved 64th inch (Nothing really). I removed the gasket and it is split in two almost the entire length of the lower section. Obviously it is on WAY to tight.

Gasket arrived tomorrow and the torque wrench is GONE
On a positive note, I contacted Moroso for help for ***** and giggles (they promote the gasket is guaranteed not to leak). They responded and replied that I installed the gasket “Properly) and want me to send a photo of the gasket when removed. Good For Them

-
Back