Leaving the Hill

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
To go see some great old music :cheers:
I can't wait :cheers: I need a day off the hill and what better way then go see Leon Russell 8)8)8)
The young guns here don't know who he is, But we listened to allot of his oldies still today, Cherokee Village is just north of me about 60 mile's
Know to find some one to go with me 8)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2Z9qN8R9Bg&feature=related"]YouTube- Tight Rope / Leon Russell[/ame]

Yet more proof (along with my grey hairs) that I'm no longer a "young gun", I guess- I'm 33 and I know who Leon Russell is.. My mom (who would've been 56 this August) played his records* all the time.

Have fun!

*For the kids, those were 12" vinyl discs that actually had the music cut into grooves on both surfaces. Less "convenient", perhaps, but much cooler- and they sound better, too.

Blues man for sure and some fun ol songs
This is Leon burning the kee's up
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbNxsFLf5H0&feature=related"]YouTube- Leon Russell---April 30, 2008[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wban7FOQpR0&feature=related"]YouTube- Leon Russell - Somewhere Over The Rainbow (LIVE)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1GQsMPqvug&feature=related"]YouTube- Leon Russell - Roll In My Sweet Baby's Arms[/ame]

Yet more proof (along with my grey hairs) that I'm no longer a "young gun", I guess- I'm 33 and I know who Leon Russell is.. My mom (who would've been 56 this August) played his records* all the time.

Have fun!

*For the kids, those were 12" vinyl discs that actually had the music cut into grooves on both surfaces. Less "convenient", perhaps, but much cooler- and they sound better, too.

A day away and good ol music with a friend :cheers:, The wife can't make it but I am going :happy10: Thank you Slantsick 8) I have not seen him perform in person, But my uncles and mother kept an 8 track in there cars :cheers:
The other good part is he will be very close by and not a giant crowed to have to deal with like in Memphis Tenn.

I know the music Mike even though im a young gun......great taste in music you have buddy!

Love Leon Russell

Known mostly as a session musician, Russell has played with artists as varied as Jerry Lee Lewis, George Harrison, Delaney Bramlett, Ringo Starr, Elton John, Eric Clapton, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, Willie Nelson, Badfinger, Tijuana Brass, Frank Sinatra, The Band, Glen Campbell, and The Rolling Stones. With a solo career involving the genres of rock and roll, blues, and gospel music, Russell began his musical career at the age of 14 years in the nightclubs of Tulsa, OK. He and his group "The Starlighters", which included J.J. Cale, Chuck Blackwell and Johnny Williams,[2] were instrumental in creating the style of music known as the Tulsa Sound. After settling in Los Angeles, he studied guitar with James Burton, and worked sessions with Dorsey Burnette and Glen Campbell.

His first songwriting success was Joe Cocker's 1969 version of "Delta Lady". Russell then went on to organise Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen Tour.[3] "Superstar", co-written by Russell and Bonnie Bramlett, and sung by Rita Coolidge on that tour, would also be a success for The Carpenters, Luther Vandross, Sonic Youth, and several other performers. Russell released an eponymous solo album soon after the Mad Dogs and Englishmen Tour, Leon Russell, which included the original version of the popular "A Song for You", which has become one of the most widely covered songs of all time, with versions released by artists as varied as Whitney Houston, Donny Hathaway, and Christina Aguilera. Also during 1970, Russell played piano for Dave Mason's album, Alone Together

Sure wish I could go with you. Last time I saw him in concert was here in the Civic Center and me and my then girlfriend went through 1/4 pound and 2 gallons of Sloe Screws. Music wasn't bad either. 8)

I know the music Mike even though im a young gun......great taste in music you have buddy!
Thank you Dude
I did not know about this till a friend told me about it :happy10:
Let's see if he pops in here 8)

Love Leon Russell

Known mostly as a session musician, Russell has played with artists as varied as Jerry Lee Lewis, George Harrison, Delaney Bramlett, Ringo Starr, Elton John, Eric Clapton, The Byrds, The Beach Boys, Willie Nelson, Badfinger, Tijuana Brass, Frank Sinatra, The Band, Glen Campbell, and The Rolling Stones. With a solo career involving the genres of rock and roll, blues, and gospel music, Russell began his musical career at the age of 14 years in the nightclubs of Tulsa, OK. He and his group "The Starlighters", which included J.J. Cale, Chuck Blackwell and Johnny Williams,[2] were instrumental in creating the style of music known as the Tulsa Sound. After settling in Los Angeles, he studied guitar with James Burton, and worked sessions with Dorsey Burnette and Glen Campbell.

His first songwriting success was Joe Cocker's 1969 version of "Delta Lady". Russell then went on to organise Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen Tour.[3] "Superstar", co-written by Russell and Bonnie Bramlett, and sung by Rita Coolidge on that tour, would also be a success for The Carpenters, Luther Vandross, Sonic Youth, and several other performers. Russell released an eponymous solo album soon after the Mad Dogs and Englishmen Tour, Leon Russell, which included the original version of the popular "A Song for You", which has become one of the most widely covered songs of all time, with versions released by artists as varied as Whitney Houston, Donny Hathaway, and Christina Aguilera. Also during 1970, Russell played piano for Dave Mason's album, Alone Together
Wow!! Thank you for the update on Leon Russell Tom :cheers:
I learned something today :happy10:
He sure has been around allot of other great musicians 8)

Sure wish I could go with you. Last time I saw him in concert was here in the Civic Center and me and my then girlfriend went through 1/4 pound and 2 gallons of Sloe Screws. Music wasn't bad either. 8)
That had to be a cool day 8)
Wish you could be there to grumpus, That sure would make a good day a better day, The more the merrier :cheers:

Well i guess i'll pop on in here. This is gona be fun. Use to listen to Leon back in the day in the early 70's. Tulsa isn't that far down the road from us so we sorta considered him as a local boy made good. Seen he was going to be close and seein how the wife was leaving town to help in the planning of the sons wedding i just couldn't see me settng at home and i sure didn't want to go by myself so i got in touch with my old buddy. I know he likes good music and would be fun to hang with. Maybe we can get a couple of pics with Leon for you guys. This will be fun.
Small Block

Well i guess i'll pop on in here. This is gona be fun. Use to listen to Leon back in the day in the early 70's. Tulsa isn't that far down the road from us so we sorta considered him as a local boy made good. Seen he was going to be close and seein how the wife was leaving town to help in the planning of the sons wedding i just couldn't see me settng at home and i sure didn't want to go by myself so i got in touch with my old buddy. I know he likes good music and would be fun to hang with. Maybe we can get a couple of pics with Leon for you guys. This will be fun.
Small Block
There you are :cheers: Yes, Small Block pm'ed me that he should be able to get tickets if I wanted to go :cheers::cheers::cheers:I did not even know Leon was even going to be playing, Know I see how you found out 8) You are connected, Just how did you know he was going to be playing here in our neck of the wood's ?
Thank you Bill:happy10: I can't wait :cheers: and thank you for the invite :cheers:

JJ Cale is another one we need to get in touch with Mike. Last evening we went to see Glen Ward and the Kansas City Street Band. Good blues stuff. I like the small venue stuff. See you and Creed tomorrow buddy.
Small Block

Have fun Mike! Tell us how it went and be sure to get pics of some sweet Southern girls for us. :)

JJ Cale is another one we need to get in touch with Mike. Last evening we went to see Glen Ward and the Kansas City Street Band. Good blues stuff. I like the small venue stuff. See you and Creed tomorrow buddy.
Small Block
sounds great :happy10: Wow you got out and watched a blues band last night!! You sure know how to have a good time :cheers:

I called Creed and he said he will get the Trailer hooked up tonight :happy10:

Have fun Mike! Tell us how it went and be sure to get pics of some sweet Southern girls for us. :)
Will do =P~,

Good for you guys! Have a blast.
I spent yesterday 4/23/2010 with Greg Allman and band.
We had the Grand Opening of The Allman Brothers Museum at the Big House in Macon, GA. Then a small get together downtown and then a 5 hour show by The Allman Brothers band with MANY musical guests!
After that was over it was down to the bar in Macon that most of the Southern Bands got their start at for several more hours of Live blues/southern rock. What a fantastic day here!

Hope the same for you guys!

Later,
Bruce B.

You hit it on the head Leanna. Leon is headed for "Memphis in May" and stopping off to make a little jack on his way. That's usually when you catch these guys other wise they wouldn't come to town if they weren't headed somewhere big. Will you show up at MIM Leanna? Any plans to go?
Small Block

Great new's Bill :cheers:

Look who is opening for Leon Russell :happy10::happy10:
Treva and I have seen this cat Gerry Moss a couple times :cheers:
I bet he plays some SRV for us and if he remembers me and Creed we may make it to the back stage :cheers:
This is going to be a great show :happy10: 500 sets only

http://www.batesvillepromotions.com/

and if you want to see Creed and I back in the day look at the name list and click on the story of Creed and Me

http://deltaboogie.com/deltamusicians/index.htm

I am on my way to GAS up and head to Mammoth Springs Small Block
I will give you a call

Had a great time :cheers:
And thank you for super and the ticket Small Block =P~
Yall should have seen all the ol hippies that got out to see Leon Russel :cheers:
As we was waiting out side we talked to some fan's that Bill knew and some we just struck up conversation with
Sorry Bill I did not get very many good pictures but yall will see what Bill was up to :-D, Ok I was up to also :-D The second picture that lady is a fashion designer for a supper star =P~ Bill remembers who :happy10:
It did not take much to get the lady in the last picture to show me some leg.

Leon Russel 2010 008.jpg

Leon Russel 2010 011.jpg

Leon Russel 2010 016.jpg

Some pictures of Leon Russel :cheers:

Leon Russel 2010 019.jpg

Leon Russel 2010 021.jpg

Leon Russel 2010 023.jpg

Leon Russel 2010 025.jpg

Leon Russel 2010 026.jpg

I seen a pair of young ladies dancing and I pulled my camera out for a Picture :happy10: Everyone was having fun

Leon Russel 2010 022.jpg

Gerry Moss remembered me 8)from 8 years ago when I backed him one time on the drums at the Blues Fest her in town, He opened for Leon Russel and did a song that him and SRV wrote and never released and told everyone the story on stage before he sang it 8)
He gave me a card to give to Creed to give him a call if he is needed in Jonesboro and is know living in Hardy Arkansas :happy10:

Leon Russel 2010 017.jpg

Leon Russel 2010 029.jpg

-
Back