LED bulbs

-

d1970

TODAY IS A GOOD DAY TO HAVE A GOOD DAY
Reaction score
can you install LED bulbs in your original dash cluster or will they not work? Thanks

They work great check out superbrightleds.com I just put some in my superbee and they dim with the dimmer also.

The list of original bulb numbers is in the shop manuals. You can download them free from MyMopar. No, I don't "work there."

Did the LED thing with my 1975 Scamp...Marla

Attachments

• Led lights.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 366
I recently got some. I installed them in the aftermarket gauges work great,nice and bright but they arent working on the instument panel and they are 194's ?????????

Just remember, You cannot use an Led bulb for your parking brake light. Leds are not bi directional. Your parking brake light gets power from one direction for the parking brake, and also from the opposite direction from the low brake pressure switch in the proportioning valve (residual pressure valve) its just the way the cars are wired.

Led 5630 strip lights in the gage bucket. A little more work than just popping in led bulbs but not much more. These will give a more uniform light thru the cluster. See my post w pix in the electrical section in sublime69's thread there.

I recently got some. I installed them in the aftermarket gauges work great,nice and bright but they arent working on the instument panel and they are 194's ?????????
Just like moparmat2000 said. LED's are not bidirectional. switch them around and they might light up.

I did like Matt and used the LED strips inside the cluster and got a little creative with the individual gauges with the strips also. :D
They dim fairly well also, but if you are not comfortable with disassembling and reassembling your cluster just use the bulbs and remember they can go in the socket either + or - but only one way works.

The first pic is no lights on in the cluster and the second pic they are on. (like ya can't tell) :D
That clock is also white with black numbers and fluorescent orange hands and LED lit now.

clusterunlit.jpg

clusterlit.jpg

Just remember, You cannot use an Led bulb for your parking brake light. Leds are not bi directional. Your parking brake light gets power from one direction for the parking brake, and also from the opposite direction from the low brake pressure switch in the proportioning valve (residual pressure valve) its just the way the cars are wired.

Matt, this is not true. While LEDs are polarity sensitive, that's not how the brake warning works.

Both the brake pressure differential switch and the parking brake switch have grounding switches which are in parallel. Either one will ground when activated, completing the circuit for the warning lamp

So if an LED is properly oriented to work for one, it will work for the other.

The bulb #'s are in the Owner's Manual. Just browse those on ebay. I bought cheap Chinese ones that work fine. Gives a slightly bluish tint which I like. If they don't light, just rotate the socket 180 deg and try again. I installed while I had the cluster out. Hope they last forever. At least they won't melt the plastic like the incandescent ones like to do.

-
Back