LED Headlights

-

Derwud

Reaction score
So I bought some new headlights for my 74 Dart with replaceable H4 bulbs so I could Install LED headlight bulbs. What I found was there is no room behind the Headlight for the LED bulbs and cooling fans. I either need to go with HID's or cut the fenders for the LED's. I know a lot of work, but the LED's are so much better than the HID or Halogen bulbs and this is for my Daughter, so I want her to have the best lights I can install! What do you guys think? I would hate to cut up the car, but for better lighting.

Here is what I want to install. I run them on my Motorcycle and they work great!!

H407__59443.1405414744.1280.1280.JPG

I have a bunch of HID parts now and would only need bulbs to install, but the LED's are so much better.

HEADLIGHTS__81977.1405413370.1280.1280.JPG

Quick light comparison.

If you are going to get LED's don't screw around with any of the junky conversion stuff....get the real deal and be done with it....
http://www.headlightrevolution.com/JWSPEAKER_8700_Black_p/jw-8700b.htm
These are the one slantsixdan suggested I get for the bike....
Ear plugs are in, getting ready for the whining about the price...
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1970083413&postcount=37

I saw the $399.00 price and thought "HOLY CRAP those are pricey".
Then I saw where it said "Sold Individually" #-o

Not a "whine" just a state of shock. :)

Universal isn't always so true. You'll have to butcher the headlight house into the wheel house to install a longer something there. Then you'll need to weather seal again.
So ask yourself is it worth the effort. I don't believe the brightest headlights on the planet will prevent accidents.
Nahum 2:4

Thanks for the replies.. I guess I will stick with the H4 Halogens and Relays.. Also Alternator and 10 gauge Alternator feed wire to Starter relay.

Just get the truck like 7" led headlights they are spendy but dot approved really bright and the best money I've spent. I do a lot of driving at night and these made all the difference in the world. They just plug in no relays. It's hard to see in the picture because it was taken during the daylight but I think they look cool as well.

Attachments

• 2014-04-04 12.07.59.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 177
Here is what I want to install. I run them on my Motorcycle and they work great!!

H407__59443.1405414744.1280.1280.JPG

I have a bunch of HID parts now and would only need bulbs to install, but the LED's are so much better.

HEADLIGHTS__81977.1405413370.1280.1280.JPG

Quick light comparison.

this doesn't show crap except that one jeep is higher and the led are whiter but that doesn't mean you can see better in the dark..

I wouldn't hack up the car to fit LED's w/ cooling fans. Wait and that fan kludge should go away. It doesn't sound reliable anyway. You probably won't have to wait long for SlantSixDan to chime in on the wisdom of using non-D.O.T. approved LED's that may not work as well as incandescent lamps.

He did in the other thread.

Don't mess with these "LED conversions" if you want you and your car to live. They are a scam/fraudulent product, not even remotely capable of producing even a minimally adequate, safe amount of light in an appropriate beam distribution. It does not matter whose name is used (fraudulently; "Cree", etc. -- Cree does not make these, nor does any other reputable maker) or the particulars of the (bogus) claims made. They do not (cannot) even come close to putting out enough light in the right pattern to light your way safely. If you install these (whether in cheap and nasty headlite-shaped toys from India or China or in good quality legit headlamps) please—I am being serious here—DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT. You may think they're nice, but we humans are lousy at accurately(!) judging how well we can really see; it's just the way we're built, so "Well, I like them and I think they're great" just isn't good enough. As far as safety performance goes, if it's a choice between cruddy old sealed beams and these "LED conversion" kits, the sealed beams win with both hands tied behind their backs and a big ol' wodge of duct tape across the lens.

There's a growing number of (real) LED 7" round headlamp assemblies available on the market. Quality and performance range from pathetic to excellent. If you have the money to spend $200 to $500 per headlamp, you can get really excellent nighttime seeing with life-of-an-A-body durability and lower current draw. Peterson's 701C (also sold by KC HiLites) and Truck-Lite's (also sold by GE) are two very good American-made LED 7" round headlamps. The king daddy of them all is the compound-projector unit from J.W. Speaker, also made in America.

(Also, no, it ain't necessarily true that "DOT lighting laws suck". There's too much room in both the US and the international European regs for bad lights, but there's also plenty of room in both standards for excellent lights.)

-
Back