LED Lights

-

MoparDaddy

Damn Right I Carry!
Reaction score
I hope this is in the right section. My wife got a 99 Chevy Tahoe and I wish to put LED taillights in it for her since they are brighter than OE. The whole see and be seen effect, and they look good.

My question for those with experience is, who makes the highest quality light? I don't want to spend $150 for lights that only light up half the section after 6mon....

I hope this is in the right section. My wife got a 99 Chevy Tahoe and I wish to put LED taillights in it for her since they are brighter than OE. The whole see and be seen effect, and they look good.

My question for those with experience is, who makes the highest quality light? I don't want to spend $150 for lights that only light up have the section after 6mon....
Interested in this as well......are you talking getting the clear ones with the leds in them??

You can check these out from LMC Truck.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csd/full.aspx?Page=53

I'm sure you can probably find cheaper ones on eBay.

I also purchased a set of the LED taillights on my '01 Ram a couple years ago from LMC Truck and they are pretty bright. I had one issue with mine because the lights warped for some dumb reason but I never did anything about them as long as they still function perfectly.

You can check these out from LMC Truck.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csd/full.aspx?Page=53

I'm sure you can probably find cheaper ones on eBay.

I also purchased a set of the LED taillights on my '01 Ram a couple years ago from LMC Truck and they are pretty bright. I had one issue with mine because the lights warped for some dumb reason but I never did anything about them as long as they still function perfectly.

For $300, I'd put a boot in someone's *** over warpage

These are the ones I have in my daily for 3 years now. No issues (warp or blown lights) what so ever and they are bright! No one and I mean no one can ever say they didn't see my tail lights period.

These are the ones I have in my daily for 3 years now. No issues (warp or blown lights) what so ever and they are bright! No one and I mean no one can ever say they didn't see my tail lights period.

Which are "these"? Lol

It's like when you see a drunk person flying a crop duster, and you just realized that you don't have anywhere you need to be so, you just sit down on a hillside, and then you're like, "Oh, hell yeah, there's a cold beer in my backpack!" so you just relax in the grass and smell the smells and drink your beer and watch the crop duster flopping and flailing about, yet miraculously avoiding a collision with Earth every single time....

That's what it is to watch this thread, waiting for Slant6Dan to show up.

It's like when you see a drunk person flying a crop duster, and you just realized that you don't have anywhere you need to be so, you just sit down on a hillside, and then you're like, "Oh, hell yeah, there's a cold beer in my backpack!" so you just relax in the grass and smell the smells and drink your beer and watch the crop duster flopping and flailing about, yet miraculously avoiding a collision with Earth every single time....

That's what it is to watch this thread, waiting for Slant6Dan to show up.

Why do you say that? I'm trying to find a quality product? They're providing helpful input and leads...

Quite frankly, I'm not looking for any negativity. So I would appreciate everyone keeping the negativity, or hate, ect to themselves. I'm aware of mr. Dans outlook on LED's and the fact that he's not fond of them on many applications. That feedback however is not what I'm looking for.

My only question that I wish to have answered is "who makes a high quality LED taillight assembly?"

I'm aware of mr. Dans outlook on LED's and the fact that he's not fond of them on many applications. That feedback however is not what I'm looking for.

You want safety for your wife.

Dan is nationally recognized automotive lighting engineer .

Yet you don't want his opinion.......

Dan knows more about automotive lighting than the combined brain power of all the other people on this forum.

Send Dan a PM. He will give you your BEST option if you must go with LEDs.

You want safety for your wife.

Dan is nationally recognized automotive lighting engineer .

Yet you don't want his opinion.......

Dan knows more about automotive lighting than the combined brain power of all the other people on this forum.

Send Dan a PM. He will give you your BEST option if you must go with LEDs.

I don't want "negative" opinions. Which is for the most part all I've seen when led gets brought up. If he or anyone has positive feedback, bring it on! :)
I simply ask for no negativity. That's all. Didn't mean to sound like an a$$. My apologies if I did.

I think the LED thing is still new so its going to be hard to find a company that makes LEDs for classic mopars AND the GM whateveritis that you're asking about.
not trying to be an Ahole, but wouldn't you be better off looking for the answer to your questions in a forum that caters to the GM whatevertheheckitis?

I think the LED thing is still new so its going to be hard to find a company that makes LEDs for classic mopars AND the GM whateveritis that you're asking about.
not trying to be an Ahole, but wouldn't you be better off looking for the answer to your questions in a forum that caters to the GM whatevertheheckitis?

I did. The Chevy forums are about as responsive as the trucksonly site.

I'm thinking that its probably a DIY project since it appears that there aren't any "bolt on" replacements. I did something similar on my valiant, so it can be done.
Here's some sources for a variety of different LEDs that you may be able to make work for your application, you might just try to focus on the tail/brake fixture since theres no real saftey issue with the backup lights, and not worrying about them would simplify your project. good luck! -pauly

http://taillightking.com/
http://vehiclelight.com/ledstli.html
http://discountleds.com/truck.htm
http://www.keepitcleanwiring.com/
http://www.superbrightleds.com/

I don't want "negative" opinions. Which is for the most part all I've seen when led gets brought up. If he or anyone has positive feedback, bring it on! :)
I simply ask for no negativity. That's all. Didn't mean to sound like an a$$. My apologies if I did.
There is probably a reason that "LED" threads always get some negative opinions....What you are in essence asking for is a one sided opinion......only the good not the bad. Always laugh when people get fired up over Dan's FACTS. Which is exactly what they are, facts. When Dan states something in any of these light threads it is not an "opinion" it is a fact. It is like when HID's pop up, everybody always just wants OPINIONS, not facts. And then they get all butt hurt when the facts are on the table in front of them and they do not match up with there OPINIONS. Your car, your money do as you like. I have seen plenty of LED tail lights that look like they throw a crap load of light. I have them on my trailers. No arguing they APPEAR to toss out a lot more light then incandescent bulbs.....

There is probably a reason that "LED" threads always get some negative opinions....What you are in essence asking for is a one sided opinion......only the good not the bad. Always laugh when people get fired up over Dan's FACTS. Which is exactly what they are, facts. When Dan states something in any of these light threads it is not an "opinion" it is a fact. It is like when HID's pop up, everybody always just wants OPINIONS, not facts. And then they get all butt hurt when the facts are on the table in front of them and they do not match up with there OPINIONS. Your car, your money do as you like. I have seen plenty of LED tail lights that look like they throw a crap load of light. I have them on my trailers. No arguing they APPEAR to toss out a lot more light then incandescent bulbs.....

yep, I did my led tail light in my 66 dart (they don't even think about making aftermarket for these cars)
here's the link
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=169147

and had to redo them a couple of times to get the correct intensity according to the Lux meter and SSDANS chart but I did get them and they look AWESOME (I'm bias evidently) Without his help I'd have an unsafe car for sure, now I'm not worried about driving mine Anywhere and still be safe. the first 2 tries look great but didn't make the numbers I needed to be safe according to the chart. so looking good don't count, it's what the meter says at the angles needed to be safe.

oh yeah and SSDAN actually liked my LED's or approved of them. so he can like leds if they are safe!:cheers:

yep, I did my led tail light in my 66 dart (they don't even think about making aftermarket for these cars)
here's the link
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=169147

and had to redo them a couple of times to get the correct intensity according to the Lux meter and SSDANS chart but I did get them and they look AWESOME (I'm bias evidently) Without his help I'd have an unsafe car for sure, now I'm not worried about driving mine Anywhere and still be safe. the first 2 tries look great but didn't make the numbers I needed to be safe according to the chart. so looking good don't count, it's what the meter says at the angles needed to be safe.

oh yeah and SSDAN actually liked my LED's or approved of them. so he can like leds if they are safe!:cheers:

I believe I'm not articulating this correctly.. When I say negativity, I'm referring to those that just flat out don't like them for ANY reason, not just safety issues. I'll go back and edit my posts to make sure they are more accurately articulated. Once again, my apologies if I came across as an a$$. That was not intended nor was any disrespect towards /6dan. He is very intelligent and I would never argue otherwise.

That's what I'm looking for, some that are safe to use. I don't want just bulb replacements. I want the entire fixture that is designed to put the light in all correct directions. I know they make some that are safe. Otherwise I'm sure the new dodge's wouldn't have ten from the factory.

-
Back