LED Shop Light Flashing

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I have 4' LED shop lights and one of them has started flashing. What causes this and is there a fix or do I just pitch it in the garbage and get another one?

What does google suggest when you put in the model number/brand of the light along with ‘flashing’?

What does google suggest when you put in the model number/brand of the light along with ‘flashing’?
Crapped if I know. That requires me on a ladder which I'm no good at.

Sounds like you’re gonna hire someone to replace it. Call a lighting place up and have them come out!

Sounds like you’re gonna hire someone to replace it. Call a lighting place up and have them come out!
Well, what I was gettin at is, if I gotta get on a ladder, I ain't doin it but ONCE. LOL

I'm sure it is gone, Rob. I use only screw socket ones and just had one do that about 2 months ago. First time. When I shut it off and let it cool, it was OK for a bit. Junk it.

I'm sure it is gone, Rob. I use only screw socket ones and just had one do that about 2 months ago. First time. When I shut it off and let it cool, it was OK for a bit. Junk it.
Yeah. You kinda nailed it. It does ok for a few minutes and then it's like it heats up and goes to hell. Thanks, Del.

Less than five years. I bought them off ebay from a link Joey posted on this very site.
This?

Yeah, replace it. You should be able to just replace the lamp and not the whole fixture. I've had enough LEDs go bad on me that sometimes I kinda wish I'd kept the flourescents.
All the hoopla about LEDs lasting nearly forever is a load of BS.

Yeah, replace it. You should be able to just replace the lamp and not the whole fixture. I've had enough LEDs go bad on me that sometimes I kinda wish I'd kept the flourescents.
I had problems with the florescent fixtures not coming on in cold weather. That's why I "upgraded". Naturally with my luck, it probably wasn't an upgrade.

I've never had an issue with any of the replacement LED's I've used, either by converting the fixture using an LED tube or by replacing the whole fixture.

The LED itself will last a very long time, the issue is cheap boards and wiring used to make the rest of the fixture. There's a lot of cheap crap out there with LED's, if you buy actual quality stuff you should have a MUCH lower replacement rate than anything fluorescent or incandescent. Of course, if you buy cheap crap, not so much.

For Rob, if it's blinking it's likely toast.

I had problems with the florescent fixtures not coming on in cold weather. That's why I "upgraded". Naturally with my luck, it probably wasn't an upgrade.
Yeah, same here. The fluorescents were kinda dicey in the winter, even with electronic ballasts. Mine had 8' tubes, which were getting kind of tough to come by around here; so I started switching them out to LEDs. With 6 two bulb fixtures in the shop and 2 more in the garage, I'm still replacing 2-3 bulbs a year.

Yeah, same here. The fluorescents were kinda dicey in the winter, even with electronic ballasts. Mine had 8' tubes, which were getting kind of tough to come by around here; so I started switching them out to LEDs. With 6 two bulb fixtures in the shop and 2 more in the garage, I'm still replacing 2-3 bulbs a year.
That sucks.

I've never had an issue with any of the replacement LED's I've used, either by converting the fixture using an LED tube or by replacing the whole fixture.

The LED itself will last a very long time, the issue is cheap boards and wiring used to make the rest of the fixture. There's a lot of cheap crap out there with LED's, if you buy actual quality stuff you should have a MUCH lower replacement rate than anything fluorescent or incandescent. Of course, if you buy cheap crap, not so much.

For Rob, if it's blinking it's likely toast.
I didn't get cheap stuff, it may not be the most expensive ones out there, but good quality. Same with the bulbs. I won't call them crap, but I will say I'm somewhat disappointed in their longevity. But I was warned about that by the Facilities Management guys where I used to work- that the LEDs would be decent replacements for my aging flourescents, but nothing that'll set the world on fire. I'm at 50/50 LEDs to flourescents now, it'll probably stay that way for the forseeable future.

One of my $20 4' LED fixtures just went into full disco mode. I have had very little success repairing modern electronics and that 28` ladder is HEAVY so this job needs to be a hole in one.

One thing you can appreciate is not having to dispose of the fluorescent bulbs.

They sure do brighten up the shop and take much less electric.
They do generally put out more light. I have 4ft 4bulb halogen light boxes on the wall of my paint room and found just two leds would put out as much light as 4 of the halogen bulbs.

First couple I bought I made the mistake of getting clear tubes instead of frosted. Those triggered a headache any time I accidently looked straight at them. Took out a can of white spray paint and fogged them to "frost" them as well.

-
Back