Left turn signals don’t flash

-

standup303

Reaction score
Hey all, only my right side turn signals flash. Both from hood left signal and rear left tail light signal come on when I hit the lever but do not flash. I found the signal flasher by the ash tray hoping there was a wire for left and right but just a red and black. I am assuming it is working properly since the right side is flashing.

Would next step be go to the turn signal switch in the column?

What car

What year

What have you done to the wiring lately

Have you checked the bulbs for function and correctness

If the bulbs don't draw enough current, the flasher won't flash. Check if the left side has LED bulbs. Or the other way around since I recall that a burned-out bulb will make it flash faster. You can buy an "electronic flasher", which is the same 2-terminal (at 90 deg) connector. They used to be longer so might not fit in the clip by the ashtray, but perhaps shrunk today. Those will flash the same regardless of bulbs installed. Just avoid the one which plays "Love Me Tender". Thought that would be cool, but became unbearably annoying after a week. I think the flashers stayed the same for decades, at least in Mopar world, but would plug into the cabin fuse/relay box.

If nothing else swap bulbs side for side. If the problem follows it might tell you there is a poor connection on the left side. It MIGHT be the switch, but I'd sure do a LOT of checking first. You have a test lamp/ multimeter? wiring diagram?

Only make right turns and it won't be a problem...

Hey all, only my right side turn signals flash. Both from hood left signal and rear left tail light signal come on when I hit the lever but do not flash. I found the signal flasher by the ash tray hoping there was a wire for left and right but just a red and black. I am assuming it is working properly since the right side is flashing.

Would next step be go to the turn signal switch in the column?
Hello! We're here to help. Where did you go?

As much as I want to go BMW style I’m going to try and fox them haha. It’s a 74 dart swinger. Haven’t touched the wiring, bought the car with the left signals like this. Going to grab a front and rear lamp today and see if that works. It’s just never that simple for me so didn’t think about it since they’re illuminated.

The turn signals are kind of funky wiring with the brake lamp function. Both route thru the switch under the steering wheel. The Shop Manual diagrams that, but doesn't explain how it actually works, and I forgot (if I ever knew). My 1969 Dart was different than my 1965, with 2-wires on the plastic turn signal cam. I recall that had to do with how many bulbs were in the rear and how the filaments are shared, and 1974 may be different still. Look for posts by SlantSixDan and 67Dart273 since they've poked "in there" and are experts.

-
Back