let me explain my screen name, and introduce myself.

-

MOPARdefiler

Reaction score
Hey, I'm Tom. longtime musclecar enthusiast and proud owner of a 1968 Barracuda fastback.

Its a little rough. LOTS of bondo out back. I plan to drive it that way untiul i get the finances to hang quarters on it. Floorpans, unibody, trunk and fenders are solid. 318 with god-knows-what done to it, but it runs STRONG for a small block. Real quick. Shifts through an auto trans which i hope to change ASAP to 4 speed. Buckets/console/guages interior in great shape.

I am from the GM arena, focusing mostly on viontage 442's, cutlass "S" and H/Os. I am NOT brand-specific, i love ALL muscle......which brings me to my screen name, "MOPARdefiler"

This is my first MOPAR musclecar. Its been a learning curve, to say the least. Honestly, I have never met such a dedicated, cult-like following of musclecars than the MOPAR guys. Before i even had it off of the trailer, I had MOPAR guys coming out of the woodwork that i'd never even met before crowding around me trying to buy it right off the trailer. All while looking it over, telling me "thats not factory" and "the VIN doesnt match" and "thats a 67 hood" etc.... Longtime MOPAR friends have all but quit talking to me when I voiced my horrible build plans: Swap in a 4 speed, late-model 360, dana 60, and paint it (GASP! the horror!) Hugger orange. (a GM color).........YOU ARE GOING TO DEFILE THAT BARRACUDA!!!! How could you defile an original barracuda with a non-original 4 speed and a GM color?.......thus, I am now known in these parts as the "MOPAR defiler"

Yes, i know 68 was the only year for the super stock hemi car. No, I do not plan on building a sox & martin tribute car. No, its not for sale. No, I dont care that the numbers dont match, and i dont care that i will drive the wheels off of it with bondo in the quarters and a chinese reproduction, non-date coded gas tank in the back.

I am here to enjoy myself, meet all of you, and hopefully gain acceptance into this MOPAR community that i have always admired from afar for so many years.....until now.

Please forgive my little indiscretions and taking the liberty to build this one as my own. Im looking forward to meeting you all.:prayer:

meanwhile, I have questions. MANY of them....ha ha

Well, it's certainly an attention getter that's for sure.

And YES! Welcome aboard! There's all-way's a group of idiot's willing to tell you what is wrong with your car.

Welcome. The name is a attention getter all right, but it sounds like your keeping it all mopar. Color is each to his own.

Attachments

• P7110053.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 370
man i was with u up tell the GM color.... but hay its ur cuda do with it as u wish man dont do it for what some will say ... do how u like it ..... cuz i could tell u that looks like **** .... but it wont matter in the end u have to drive that puppy not me ...get the point lol .... now if u need help i dont know alot but would be happy to try and help u .. or point u to a guy or gal that can .... btw nice 2 post .... just come out and say what u think

Welcome aboard Tom! Who knows, my next mopar might be a GM color....aint nothing wrong with that at all!! Prefer to see a GM color on a Mopar as opposed to a GM transplant! Post any and all questions, there is an incredible amount of great people and great advice on here.

I own a fastback, but have always prefferred the notchback. your cuda sits EXACTLY how i want mine to. Your car is now my screensaver. Thanks!

Its your car build it as you like and love it the more you own and drive it. Good luck with it, I hope it brings many miles of smiles.

I am planing on painting my original nasty green convertible Plum Crazy Purple.The only thing I like green is $$$$ past that I hate green. I have the stuff to make it a Kelsey Hays disc brakes with a 8 3/4 rear axle. I also have a factory console but I am going with the wrong wood grain. I catch heck about changing things but I could care less because it is my car.

my horrible build plans: Swap in a 4 speed, late-model 360, dana 60, and paint it (GASP! the horror!) Hugger orange. (a GM color)
I was completely on board till you mentioned the paint. But I've wanted $600 to buy a gallon of the Camaro Synergy Green, so I'm not judging. But I do have to ask. Why a dana 60? Are you gonna have two superchargers on it or something? I'd go 8-1/4" (if it's built right!) or at most a 8-3/4"

Hey, I'm Tom. longtime musclecar enthusiast and proud owner of a 1968 Barracuda fastback.

"meanwhile, I have questions. MANY of them....ha ha
"

"One such question might be, "Which engine to use?""

My choice would be a slant six, an early one with the forged steel crank (up through about 1974.

Why a slant 6?

Because it's a too-well-kept secret that a turbocharged slant 6 can, for the money, easily outperform most normally-aspirated small blocks. Forced induction small blocks and all big blocks are in a different ballpark, however (and, require a different bankroll.)

But, for the MONEY SPENT, the slant six with a single turbo can be a 500+ horsepower engine with lots of advantages.

For example, no expensive Dana 9.75" rear end (nor even an 8.75") is required, or even desirable; a 2.76:1, 8.25" (available cheap, at virtually any junkyard) will work great with that engine, and will exhibit excellent road manners and give you a workable hiway gear, as well.

Only six pistons and rods (not 8, have to be bought, and although headers CAN be built aand used, they are not necessary. A simple, 90-degree elbow can be attached to the stock exhaust manifold, and the turbo bolted to that.

The turbo homoginizes the sound waves and makes the engine quiet enough that no muffler is needed...

The turbo /6 makes its power below 5,500 rpm, so stock rockers and shimmed 340 valve springs are plenty to prevent valve float. Normally-aspirated small block V8's need a lot more rpm than that to make good power, which necessitates an expensive valve train.

Because it lives below 5,500 rpm, the /6 lasts a l-o-n-g time...

A variety of 4-bbl manifolds are available, both new and used, for the /6. A blow-thru 4bbl Holley 4150 is usually the carb of choice.

The stock compression ratio of around 9:1 works well for turbocharging this motor. Pump gas works unto you up the boost to over 10 pounds, or so...

One of our members here (Shaker223) bolted a Buick Grand National turbocharger from a junkyard, onto his mostly stock (stock cam, compression, pistons, etc.) 1970 Dart Swinger and it went 12.95 @ 102mph....

Now, with more mods, it runs 122mph at 11-seconds flat (3,300 pounds.)

A lighter car ('66 Valiant) is Ryan Peterson's with basically the same engine specs (both these cars have rear axle ratios in the 2's) has run 127 mph in the mid tens-second range in the quarter.

The point is, they were built a LOT cheaper than a normally-aspirated V8 with equal performance, in my opinion.

Just some food for thought.... :happy1: a different way....

Defiler, meet Bill, the flag waver of slant six turbo charged engines, give'n free advice again.

See what I mean?

Speaking of which, what engine does it have or is intended for it?

Welcome to FABO!

Bill makes me wanna take out my 360 and go with a slant!

That would be fun in a fastback........yes, something to think about.

Welcome!!
I too have a 68 "S" Fastback. yours is a 318 car nothing out of the ordinary, roll with it. I wish I would have gotten one so I could cut it up like I wanted too. I had to cut the inner fender for the turbo but thats all that is getting cut since those are stamped new.

Hey,
why not Vitamin "C" orange??? Looks good And Ain't Chevy!! Your car, your call tho!

Lotsa info on this website. When you need to find something just click search at the top of the page and type in what your looking for. 9 times out of 10 you'll find it that way! If not, post away! GOOD LUCK on your build!

Who said I have something against slants are is it your just starting in with me?

Welcome,
First, it's your car, do what you want.
Secondly, it's not a #'s matching Formula S or a ragtop so you can't hurt the collectible value.
As long as you don't put a 350 chevy motor in it, noone here will put a contract out on you.:toothy8:
Tell the purists you're not a Mopar Defiler, but a Mopar Refiner.

Welcome Tom
I know about the mopar guys shunning a guy as I don't do the #s thing either and I love all kinds of cars:cheers:
My cuda is actually a gm color cause I liked it better.

And check out my screen name,trust me it fits me too a tee.
Doug

Tom,

You will find that all of us diehard mopar owners are very excepting of a persons choice.....now at the same time if you decide to put Chey or Olds power in it then you are going to get a lot of flak !! LMAO
Dom Rinaldi

Its a little rough. LOTS of bondo out back. I plan to drive it that way untiul i get the finances to hang quarters on it. Floorpans, unibody, trunk and fenders are solid. 318 with god-knows-what done to it, but it runs STRONG for a small block. Real quick. Shifts through an auto trans which i hope to change ASAP to 4 speed. Buckets/console/guages interior in great shape.

I am from the GM arena, focusing mostly on viontage 442's, cutlass "S" and H/Os. I am NOT brand-specific, i love ALL muscle......which brings me to my screen name, "MOPARdefiler"

This is my first MOPAR musclecar. Its been a learning curve, to say the least. Honestly, I have never met such a dedicated, cult-like following of musclecars than the MOPAR guys. Before i even had it off of the trailer, I had MOPAR guys coming out of the woodwork that i'd never even met before crowding around me trying to buy it right off the trailer. All while looking it over, telling me "thats not factory" and "the VIN doesnt match" and "thats a 67 hood" etc.... Longtime MOPAR friends have all but quit talking to me when I voiced my horrible build plans: Swap in a 4 speed, late-model 360, dana 60, and paint it (GASP! the horror!) Hugger orange. (a GM color).........YOU ARE GOING TO DEFILE THAT BARRACUDA!!!! How could you defile an original barracuda with a non-original 4 speed and a GM color?.......thus, I am now known in these parts as the "MOPAR defiler"

Yes, i know 68 was the only year for the super stock hemi car. No, I do not plan on building a sox & martin tribute car. No, its not for sale. No, I dont care that the numbers dont match, and i dont care that i will drive the wheels off of it with bondo in the quarters and a chinese reproduction, non-date coded gas tank in the back.

I am here to enjoy myself, meet all of you, and hopefully gain acceptance into this MOPAR community that i have always admired from afar for so many years.....until now.

Please forgive my little indiscretions and taking the liberty to build this one as my own. Im looking forward to meeting you all.:prayer:

meanwhile, I have questions. MANY of them....ha ha

-
Back