Votes: 5 6.2%
  • All Motor

Votes: 21 25.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-

Speedfreak

Reaction score
Hey guys, so today something just clicked in me as I was dreaming about owning a turbo diesel or a turbo daily driver as the loud "pssst" of a Subaru blow off valve went past me in my work truck, and I thought Why not turbo the Scamp!? so I'm rolling the idea around. I am pretty novice when it comes to a turbo setup, especially on a classic mopar! so any tips and pictures and advice is welcome here! and Supercharged, Blown whatever you got, not limited to Turbo's. :D

I'd go supercharger , had a supercharged 90 AND 92 Thunderbird and they were reliable , 90 had 160,000 km before it was stolen , the 92 had 480,000 km on it and both were trouble free , they did not even burn 1/4 of a quart between oil changes . Sold the 92 in 95 and it was a mistake . Car ran perfectly , should have kept it . With a chip and 3:91 gears it ran great , instant power .

There's been at least 3 similar single turbo, SB projects I've found on the www, and I think all of them were here. Turn Dakota manifolds around facing front, make a crossover down under the front of engine, and mount the turbo in the front right corner up near the radiator. Move the alternator to the driver side.

Some good photos further in this thread

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=227729

This is the first one I ran across

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=76755

another shot or two

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...r-gto-kid-didnt-realize-what-he-asking-2.html

If I wanted to make BIG power, 1000hp+ max effort deal, I'd go turbocharged. For something fun in a street/strip car, I think it's hard to beat a blower car. Opinions will vary, ultimately you have to build what you want.

There are a couple pics of my old Procharged setup in my gallery. I'm hoping to fire off the new build in the Spring.

Sweet Thanks everyone keep it comin, this is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for, and lets start a mini pole here for fun, I will tally up how many people think I should go turbo and how many think SC. XD : )

I've driven all kinds of charged cars. While I love the sound of a blower, nothing beats a pair of twin turbos. The best is kick in the pants you get when those babies spooled! Oh and the waste gate opening it always better with twins.

The reason why those rustangs are so fast is they are easy to add boost. Around this area there are a bunch of boosted ferds.

I hate them all but have to respect.

IMG_20121005_153227.jpg

IMG_20121005_153234.jpg

Boost is addicting I can honestly say I can't imagine owning another natural aspirated mopar the power that my toad has is mind blowing. On 8 pounds of boost my slant feels and pulls like a warmed over big block. On 15psi its a animal and I can only imagine what 20psi is going to feel like but we'll find out next year.
Aaron

IMG_20121005_153227.jpg

IMG_20121005_153234.jpg

Boost is addicting I can honestly say I can't imagine owning another natural aspirated mopar the power that my toad has is mind blowing. On 8 pounds of boost my slant feels and pulls like a warmed over big block. On 15psi its a animal and I can only imagine what 20psi is going to feel like but we'll find out next year.
Aaron

Damn Aaron I really respect your build there any videos or more pics ? I was rolling the idea around of a Clifford auto pro charger setup for the 225 slant in m 67 Coronet before I made the trade for the scamp.

So I have been doing some reading based on what everyone's saying here, I really love the look and design concept of a carb centrifugal supercharger (procharger) I am a sucker for the big old chrome carb and big thick chrome air filter housing sticking up with a red K&N peering thru the chrome mesh. (like on my chev :D) But as I will likely be doing some full functioning hood scoops the top would be missing anyhow. But this setup here looks really nice and clean ( best of both worlds ) thoughts on this setup ? and keep on voting ! nothing is written in stone (yet) :blob:
View attachment paxton_big_block_mopar_underhood_with_powerhat_P1011776.jpg

Stroker 331 looking for a new home and 512 for our 68 Charger

Attachments

• mmm.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_0033.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 703
  • IMG_0034.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 702
  • IMG_0035.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 727
This is mine before install. Makes about 1100 horsepower @ 14 pounds of boost. 10 percent overdriven 10-71 with 2 dominators on an all aluminum 496 Hemi with a .700 roller. Mostly a street car.

A couple after install...........

Video at this years Cruisin The Coast.....[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbehwzJevh0"]1967 Dodge Coronet 496 HEMI 1100 HP Street Car - YouTube[/ame]

How's it running Jack? Have you worked out the bugs?

It's working pretty good. I took it easy on it this past summer but come spring I think I may put my foot into it a time or two just to see what I really have. I know at half throttle it was a beast.

Jack

It's working pretty good. I took it easy on it this past summer but come spring I think I may put my foot into it a time or two just to see what I really have. I know at half throttle it was a beast.

Jack

I bet. Don't forget to look out the wind shield like a Scope. Aim for the spot ahead and smash the go pedal! :burnout: Lol

I am for both. turbos are nice but it takes them time to provide boost, and there is no parasiddict drag. diesel trucks at the drag way. superchargers provide boost right at the start but they have parasdict drag, takes hp to make hp. now the slant six shown above needs two thing, 1) air cleaner out side of engine bay to pick up colder air not heat soaked air. 2) it needs an intercooler on it to cool the air that the turbos is going to heat up and the hot air that is being pulled from the heat soaked engine bay. me i would love to some day stick a diesel engine, 5.9 or 6.7, into a dart twin turbos into the intercooler then into a supercharger then into the motor. just afraid it would twist the car in two

and yes i know there is limited space under the hood and in front of the rad. and a lot of custom tubing to make the turbo work in an A-body. oh srixon4406 that looks really good.

-
Back