Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Spray

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • All Motor

Votes: 21 25.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Hey guys, so today something just clicked in me as I was dreaming about owning a turbo diesel or a turbo daily driver as the loud "pssst" of a Subaru blow off valve went past me in my work truck, and I thought Why not turbo the Scamp!? so I'm rolling the idea around. I am pretty novice when it comes to a turbo setup, especially on a classic mopar! so any tips and pictures and advice is welcome here! and Supercharged, Blown whatever you got, not limited to Turbo's. :D

Here is our '64 Valiant with a 225 Slant Six/904/8.75" 3:55 setup with 9" slicks. It runs 10 pounds of boost, with a Snowperformance boost cooler water/alky injector.

Attachments

• 100_3720.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 304
  • 100_3718.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 320
  • 100_3612.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 278
Now I'm really really curious. How fast is that '64 Valiant? Any quarter mile times? - Looks like a pretty sweet setup.

Now I'm really really curious. How fast is that '64 Valiant? Any quarter mile times? - Looks like a pretty sweet setup.

We haven't had it on a set of clocks yet, but will as soon as the weather permits. Feels like a 12-second ride, but cars can lie to you. It weighss 2,700-pounds, no driver weight.

We built a bald-faced copy of this car's engine :

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzUfV8iTpQ"]Turbo Slant Six 10.74 @ 127 mph 7-19-10 - YouTube[/ame]

He is an especially-good tuner, though, and we will be lucky to get within two seconds of his performance... no kidding!

Time will tell... :banghead:

Thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• 100_3622-001.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 296
  • 100_3649.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 297
A 4 door '64 Valiant capable of toasting most other street cars. - Light weight. You can honestly tell folks you're running a slant six. I'm impressed. But I'd be tempted to hide any indicators that I was running a turbo just to make it even more of a sleeper.

A 4 door '64 Valiant capable of toasting most other street cars. - Light weight. You can honestly tell folks you're running a slant six. I'm impressed. But I'd be tempted to hide any indicators that I was running a turbo just to make it even more of a sleeper.

We built this car as a last-ditch exercise to run almost exclusively on the strip. Both my partner and I have street cars to have fun with. He has a nitrous-assisted '67 Dart GT with a 390hp crate motor in it... We just wanted something AA/Different... something for the Corvettes at the strip.... lol! Always had V8s.... wanted to try a six. This is what we ended up with.

I really appreciate your comments and interest!

This is my '72 Valiant 4-door 360 Magnum-powered, Vortech supercharged 904 car with a 4.10-geared 8.75"-rear end. It runs low 11's and is my daily driver, but it's so thirsty, I hardly ever drive it. Six MPG gets old fast... :cwm10:
:wack:

Attachments

• 100_3266.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 100_3145-1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 309
I guess us Huskers are gonna have to be careful who we pull up next to down in Razorback country.

I guess us Huskers are gonna have to be careful who we pull up next to down in Razorback country.

LOL! I lived in Des Moines from 1966-1980... I well remember the Dodge Street Racing Association in Omaha... lol!

Raced at Blair in '64-70.... and at the Omaha strip by the freeway before it closed.... nice strip!!

You have nothing to fear from this bucket of bolts....

We haven't had it on a set of clocks yet, but will as soon as the weather permits. Feels like a 12-second ride, but cars can lie to you. It weighss 2,700-pounds, no driver weight.

We built a bald-faced copy of this car's engine :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzUfV8iTpQ

He is an especially-good tuner, though, and we will be lucky to get within two seconds of his performance... no kidding!

Time will tell... :banghead:

Thanks for your interest!

Oh I don't know, Bill. Even a chimp can learn from repetition. LMAO

IMG_20121005_153227.jpg

IMG_20121005_153234.jpg

Boost is addicting I can honestly say I can't imagine owning another natural aspirated mopar the power that my toad has is mind blowing. On 8 pounds of boost my slant feels and pulls like a warmed over big block. On 15psi its a animal and I can only imagine what 20psi is going to feel like but we'll find out next year.
Aaron

just wondering here, why send the charged air on such a detour before going into the engine?

wouldn't it be better to turn the hat into a 5.30 position (standing right in front of it) and run just the 1 foot section with the BOV attached?

(not meaning any disrespect here, just trying to learn how thing work)

Oh I don't know, Bill. Even a chimp can learn from repetition. LMAO

If we learned from repetition, we'd know a LOT, by now!:banghead:The last go-round was the most time-consuming. It started running ragged, so I ran a compression test and it showed only 50 pounds of compression on #1 and #2 cylinders. I assumed the worst, (a blown head gasket between those two cylinders) and proceeded to yank the head off. A REALLY thorough inspection of the gasket, block, head and all other components (valves, springs, cam and lifters, cylinder walls, etc) revealed that EVERYTHING was in perfect condition! I had three other people (who were good mechanics) look at all this, and they agreed... nothing wrong. NO blown head gasket!

:banghead:

I talked to a lot of people about this and the consensus was, that my carb ( a very rich-tuned one,) had washed all the oil off the cylinder wall and there was virtually NO SEAL between the rings and the wall. That prompted me to order an O-ring cutter tool from Isky and cut the block for O-rings (something that should have been done upon initial assembly.) Lots of time-consuming problems ensued with that operation, which used up all of the good summer weather...

Bottom line: by the time we got it ready to run again, the good weather was gone. We oiled down the cylinder walls before we re-assembled it and then, tested for compression pressure and found it to be back up around 150... more to our liking.

So, we're once again, ready to race this thing, once we get some good weather.

We have a different carb on it now, that is correctly tuned for blow-thru, so that particular problem shouldn't happen again. I just hope that episode didn't damage the rings.

I turned 75 last week. I'd REALLY like to see this &%@*%@! run on a set of clocks before I die of old age... It's been FOUR YEARS in the making... ridiculous!:coffee2:

and yes i know there is limited space under the hood and in front of the rad. and a lot of custom tubing to make the turbo work in an A-body. oh srixon4406 that looks really good.

i ve had my blower together for 9 years it might need a little refresh lol

Attachments

• IMG_4290.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_4292_1.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_4288_1.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_4289_1.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 233
I haven't driven it since 2011 because of this thing... (picture taken in early 2012)

I stopped driving my baby in the Fall that year and said "I'll pull out the old 340, build the new Blown 340, drop it in and it'll be ready to go by Spring." :banghead:

I didn't want to cut up a good '73+ Hood and had a damaged '70-72 Hood (previous owner cut the scoop hole with a torch.). That turned into "well I better put a 70-72 Grille on the car to match. That turned into "I better swap out the fenders, tail panel, & side marker lights to '71 parts.

Then it turned into "I might as well swap in an 18 Spline A833 and a Dana 60. Which turned into... "Well, I might as well minitub it and relocate the springs...what the hell, I'm already this deep into it, might as well install a cage..."

What was supposed to be a several month project snowballed into a several year project :eek:ops: I miss driving my '74 by this point.

-
Back