Let's be honest....

-

70dusterpink

Reaction score
Ok let's be honest I thought about this swap for my 70 duster and I want to go carb.... I realize I need mounts no big deal... The summit swap pan 200... Then probably srt8 headers... Not sure how much they are?? Since I'm going carb what do I need to make it run? Still need a computer??! That's another 250... Then an adapter to make it for to a 727 I think there about 400-500... Plus the actual hemi.... I see you guys post all the time a hemi that runs good for like 500-750?!? Where the heck do you find them?!? All the hemi I see are at least 2000 that run!!! I'm in nj if you know any cheap hemis let me know.... Also being honest how much does this swap cost if going carb? Less that 3000?! That's what it seems looking at all the threads... Please shed some daylight on this... Basically everything to do a carbbed hemi in a 70 duster

while we are being honest.....:) i never understood why people do the modern hemi swap only to put a carb on it. defeats the purpose in my opinion. a regular small block will run as good as a carbed hemi and be less in the long run. if your doing the swap you may as well get the advantages of the fuel injection and all with it.

if i was gonna do a basically stock modern hemi i would grab a truck motor, change the pan so it would fit in the car and go with the street performance wire harness and be done with it. from what i remember the street performance harness was cheaper then the carb conversion. yes you have to build a fuel system but the injection would be so worth it.

Ok let's be honest I thought about this swap for my 70 duster and I want to go carb.... I realize I need mounts no big deal... The summit swap pan 200... Then probably srt8 headers... Not sure how much they are?? Since I'm going carb what do I need to make it run? Still need a computer??! That's another 250... Then an adapter to make it for to a 727 I think there about 400-500... Plus the actual hemi.... I see you guys post all the time a hemi that runs good for like 500-750?!? Where the heck do you find them?!? All the hemi I see are at least 2000 that run!!! I'm in nj if you know any cheap hemis let me know.... Also being honest how much does this swap cost if going carb? Less that 3000?! That's what it seems looking at all the threads... Please shed some daylight on this... Basically everything to do a carbbed hemi in a 70 duster

Ok, The mininmum you would need for installing a hemi without having to cut and make your own stuff should be as follows, Milodon oil pan $200, Milodon pickup $80 (no it isn't included) Oil Pan gaskets (they arn't included either) $20, and Milodon Dipstick or equivalent $80. You need a flexplate for the conversion $90 but you won't need a spacer between the trans and the engine. Engine has a standard small block bolt pattern for the trans and you need a neutral balance torque converter. Motor mounts $150 they come without isolators and if you are using a stock K frame you need to notch it to fit the angled oil filter adapter ?$ or buy a relocation kit ?$. Headers $700 or SRT8 Jeep manifolds ?? Mini starter for a small block $180. If you use a stock K frame you can only use manual steering, if you have power steering and need to change you can use a box adapter around $150 or a Borgeson kit. You can use the stock coils for the ignition with an MSD Hemi 6 $500 and the correct wiring harness (2 available for the 2 different coils) $200. Intakes vary from $350-$800 pick your poison plus a carb. I used a truck timing cover with a truck clutch fan and a small flex-a-lite 16" REVERSE ROTATION FAN. I used a 26" small block rad out of a late B Body and found hoses to fit. I also used a Small block thermostat housing that was milled flat and bolted it to the water pump in place of the overly large stock one to adapt the rad and hoses to the engine. I know there is something I missed so feel free to chime in.

The carb is for that old school look of a big hemi... The modern hemi is cheaper than say a 426... Also the ease of tuning... Paying 400 for a custom tune vs carbs... Plus it looks more right under the hood

The carb is for that old school look of a big hemi... The modern hemi is cheaper than say a 426... Also the ease of tuning... Paying 400 for a custom tune vs carbs... Plus it looks more right under the hood

I agree, But there are always 2 sides of the coin. You have the modern side and the retro side. Neither is wrong, it's just 2 different styles.

there is nothing old school looking about a modern hemi even if it has a carb on it. yea that serpentine belt is sure old school looking. :)

as far as tuning goes i guess it depends what your doing with the motor.

there is nothing old school looking about a modern hemi even if it has a carb on it. yea that serpentine belt is sure old school looking. :)

You should see it with the Hemi chrome dome air cleaner on it!! I wish I had pictures if it finished.

it looks closer to an older hemi then others but it sure isn't old school looking. i'm sure it will fool some but so does a small block chevy with old hemi valve covers..

sounds like it runs damn good though.

7-6-05_096.jpg

it looks closer to an older hemi then others but it sure isn't old school looking. i'm sure it will fool some but so does a small block chevy with old hemi valve covers..

sounds like it runs damn good though.

7-6-05_096.jpg

Makin valve covers fit is one thing. Not only is it very hokey is just a dow right lie!! I bent the truth. I have had a blast listening to people make their own asumptions on what it is. I have heard people say it was a 16 cylinder engine, It was an old 392, ask me what happened to the distributor, and Most poeple get it but not after scratchin their heads for a min. 8) If you heard it it sounds like a worked old shool hemi expecialy with the exhaust open!!

hey i'm not taking anything away from what you built. it looks good and from what you say runs good. but there is nothing old school looking about it but orange paint and black wrinkle valve covers. like i said i'm sure it fools a lot of people but so did that car i posted. should have heard the people talking about it standing around it... right up till the part i said hey thats a small block chevy and the owner was like shhhhhhh... them my buddy says to him isn't that kinka like putting a sock in your pants? lmao. he wasn't very happy after that..

for my swap 6.1 SRT into 72 Dart, man. 5 speed) I have no choice than a carb. Officials do not allow modern engines in historic cars as long as I have historic lichence plates on the car. It is a tax thing...

What about the fuel pump? Never mentionedd in other threads as far as I know...

I have no choice than a carb. Officials do not allow modern engines in historic cars as long as I have historic lichence plates on the car. It is a tax thing...

now that sucks..

I know it isn't old school persay... But you can make a old ford 302 serp belt and it's still old... Your from Berlin I'm just about 30 min from you... I see how you might think it's a waste or whatever but it's my car right? It's not technalclly a 426 but if you walk up glance and walk away what do you remember? That thing had a hemi!!! That's all plus the modern tech makes it a good candidate... So hemijoe... If I wanted to do just a stock 5.7 carb swap I'm looking at about 3000 grand?!? Not to bad at all... Was the swap hard and getting it to run right etc?

So about 2000 for all the parts plus the cost of a hemi.... Not to bad... The only thing is can you do without tue hemi6 controller? What exactly is that?

Oo another reason to go carb is that the intake with the tb facing forward is just plain ugly when you have to run piping to a ugly cone filter

I know it isn't old school persay... But you can make a old ford 302 serp belt and it's still old... Your from Berlin I'm just about 30 min from you... I see how you might think it's a waste or whatever but it's my car right? It's not technalclly a 426 but if you walk up glance and walk away what do you remember? That thing had a hemi!!! That's all plus the modern tech makes it a good candidate... So hemijoe... If I wanted to do just a stock 5.7 carb swap I'm looking at about 3000 grand?!? Not to bad at all... Was the swap hard and getting it to run right etc?

hey you do whatever you want to it. no one said you couldn't or shouldn't. i just said there is nothing old school about it and that i just don't see the point in doing it without gaining the advantages of the fuel injection. if the thing is for people to say hey that thing has a hemi then your good to go. just seems like a ton of money to do it just so you can say you have a hemi in it. but hey thats just me. its your money do it your way.

So about 2000 for all the parts plus the cost of a hemi.... Not to bad... The only thing is can you do without tue hemi6 controller? What exactly is that?

Oo another reason to go carb is that the intake with the tb facing forward is just plain ugly when you have to run piping to a ugly cone filter

ok now your just talking out your ***.:)

Like $3000 plus motor. The swap was moderate in dificulty. Things still need to be tuned, shaved, and fit. I have done harder. The MSD comes with a pre installed ignition curve so it will run out of the box. If you want to tune it later a lap top is required with the included software. The carb tuning is just standard stuff. I use a BG 220HR fuel pump but a standard Holley red or blue pump and regulator is fine.

The MSD comes with a pre installed ignition curve so it will run out of the box. If you want to tune it later a lap top is required with the included software.

at what point would the computer need to be tuned? will a stock motor need to be tuned or only after so many mods??

Hey I think it looks crappy a tb facing foreword to a cone filter it looks just wrong... Your dart is nice I won't lie... But please if you gonna just say hey it gay to put a carb on it please don't post again.... I wasn't talking out my ***... I seriously believe that it looks like a Honda intake then...

So the hemi 6 is a msd unit? And ya when is a tune needed... Good question a bodyjoe

Hey I think it looks crappy a tb facing foreword to a cone filter it looks just wrong... Your dart is nice I won't lie... But please if you gonna just say hey it gay to put a carb on it please don't post again.... I wasn't talking out my ***... I seriously believe that it looks like a Honda intake then...

never said it was gay. just said to me it makes no sense unless like you said you just want the hemi name associated with your car.

for my swap 6.1 SRT into 72 Dart, man. 5 speed) I have no choice than a carb. Officials do not allow modern engines in historic cars as long as I have historic lichence plates on the car. It is a tax thing...

What about the fuel pump? Never mentionedd in other threads as far as I know...

Look here for some hemi fuel stuff...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=111685

or build your own with a low PSI electric pump for carb.

-
Back