Let's see your A Body Rally Dash in-dash tach replacements...

-

airgrabber

Reaction score
Looking for something to pop in the center hole, maybe something a bit better than those Sun Mini Tachs. Would be cool if I could find a non-factory 6 grand tach with the same dial range as a stock one and stick a factory appearing tach decal face like the kind sold by Performance Graphics...ideas?

I know there was an old thread where @CUUDAK used an autometer 5897. This is the picture
dscn1798-jpg.jpg

But if that worked, than pretty much any 3-3/8" tach should work.
atm-2695_ml.jpg

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2695/overview/

3 5/8" ? That sounds like a standard tach size - seems I measured the outside of bezel opening and it looks like 2 5/8" - just figured a standard tach would not fit it. I may have to cannibalize a Sun Super Tach and see what fits...

3-3/8", not 5/8".

It is a pretty standard size though, lots of options in that size from a few different manufacturers. To make it fit you have to remove the tach from the cup it comes in and fit it behind the stock lens. If I remember right some dremel work on the back of the dash panel is also necessary. A few people have done it, @CUUDAK had a good write up but I haven't been able to find it yet.

Excuse the slight derailment, but, where can one (me) get the vacuum gauge fixed? Mine leaks badly!

But, now that you lost that, I had no idea but did think about a tach there. That cluster face looks excellent.
What about lighting?

Excuse the slight derailment, but, where can one (me) get the vacuum gauge fixed? Mine leaks badly!

But, now that you lost that, I had no idea but did think about a tach there. That cluster face looks excellent.
What about lighting?

I have a nice one you can have for the shipping cost.

Looking for something to pop in the center hole, maybe something a bit better than those Sun Mini Tachs. Would be cool if I could find a non-factory 6 grand tach with the same dial range as a stock one and stick a factory appearing tach decal face like the kind sold by Performance Graphics...ideas?

I just ordered a 8K factory tach with modern electronics to go along with my 150 mph speedo. Fits right in and works perfect. Why would you try to fit anything else?

What about lighting?
I have the vacum gauge if you want to replace yours

I got mine from either year one or classic industries. Look like stock not cheap but a direct replacement

www.classicindustries.com/product/1967/dodge/dart/parts/ma1524.html

www.classicindustries.com/product/1967/dodge/dart/parts/ma1525.html

I have one of these in my Duster. It's awful. I mean, it looks good, but the accuracy is pretty lacking. And as of late it's been jumping around A LOT. I've checked the connections and that helped a little, but not much. Not sure how long it will last.

Not sure how good the 3 3/8" AutoMeters are, I know that's a pretty small tach to be super accurate, but they can't be worse. I'll probably be swapping my stock appearing replacement for an AutoMeter.

I am getting ready to take the rallye cluster out of my dart for some gauge repairs. trip meter not working, fuel gauge took a crap. was seriously thinking of adding a tach in the factory hole. i saw the replacements from classic, i wonder how good the quality is vs an autometer unit ?

I have the factory vacuum gauge, so I hung the tach on the column, but I'm pretty sure it would fit the hole. It is an older small Autometer.

Wideband.jpg

I didn't know the vacuum gauge was even a thing ... I might have to look for one of those instead of the tach !

I am getting ready to take the rallye cluster out of my dart for some gauge repairs. trip meter not working, fuel gauge took a crap. was seriously thinking of adding a tach in the factory hole. i saw the replacements from classic, i wonder how good the quality is vs an autometer unit ?

I wouldn't bother with the stock replacement. The quality is not great, and they cost $100 more than a 3 3/8" autometer. I'm going to buy this one for mine to replace the reproduction one I have Stewart Warner Heavy-Duty Series Tachometers 82171. I think it looks a little closer to the original than the autometers, and I have the mopar guage needle paint to take care of the white needle.

I wouldn't bother with the stock replacement. The quality is not great, and they cost $100 more than a 3 3/8" autometer. I'm going to buy this one for mine to replace the reproduction one I have Stewart Warner Heavy-Duty Series Tachometers 82171. I think it looks a little closer to the original than the autometers, and I have the mopar guage needle paint to take care of the white needle.
that's freaking funny, I was looking at that exact gauge earlier ! How difficult do you think it'll be to mount in the cluster housing ?

that's freaking funny, I was looking at that exact gauge earlier ! How difficult do you think it'll be to mount in the cluster housing ?

Cuudak mentioned having to clearance the rally gauge housing/bezel a bit when he installed the 3-3/8" autometer. Beyond that you'll obviously have to remove the tach from it's cup and lense etc. I don't suspect it will be all that hard, but I haven't done it yet either. A few members have switched them out for the aftermarket tachs though so it shouldn't be too bad.

-
Back