Let's see your first A-body!

-
First (and only) new car I ever bought. First Mopar too. 1971 Duster, originally a slant, 3 on the floor swapped in a 318 about a year after I bought it. Kept that car for 12 years (an eternity in New England), just under 280k. Floors were pretty much gone & the engine was getting very tired when I parked it (parts car for the '70 Dart I replaced it with), but body-wise didn't look bad.

Picture was taken in '74 on a cross-country trip a high school friend and I took.
Must have gotten some really bad gas on that trip, car barely idled by the time we got home. Carb was full of some kind of gunk as was the fuel filter and the pre-filter in the tank.

Duster -Colorado 1974.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my 69 383 4-speed GTS Q5 Turquoise Metallic that I still own today (though burned in a fire)
rhino 6358.jpg
that I bought on June 28, 1978 the picture is around 1982 before the first restore, that is why the door is different. If you squint your eyes you can see the stripe says DART SWINGER and the other side says GT SPORT. I was the second owner and the original owner said it came that way from the factory, Chrysler quality control!

First Duster  6.jpeg

My first A body, replaced the /6 with a 318 and some headers, added airshocks and longer shackles (it was the 70's of course) but left the rest pretty much original.
100_6119.JPG

My 2nd A Body, 30 years later (denovo). Started again with a /6, now awaiting the arrival of a new 408/727 to put in front of the 3.55 S/G 8 3/4. A lot older, a little wiser, with a lot more idle cash this time around!

Got mine in 1977 right after HS. Had the leaning tower of power and an automatic.
68-cuda-1-1_zpsa3d29ab4.jpg

68-cuda-1-2_zpsb361a0ef.jpg

68-cuda-1-3_zps823354f3.jpg

OK... before i get a bunch of "hate mail" for the paint job on this "original" 68 formula S 340, 4 speed, please let me explain!

i was 17 and a junior in high school in 1971. i had bought an almost new 68 barracuda from a mechanic at a local plymouth dealer who ordered the car new and drag raced it for about a year before selling it to me. it was an original turbine bronze car with black side ralley stripes. being in high school, i worked on cars and was just learning how to paint. naturally, i had to "experiment" on "custom paint jobs" and one weekend, i sprayed the front end a bunch of different colors then took masking tape and put it all over the hood and then sprayed it black. yes... it looks terrible AND ridiculous. but this WAS my first "A body" mopar. the second turbine bronze cuda is the one i have now - it is an exact recreation of the one i had in high school, "minus" the "custom" paint job! oh.. i was also into motorcycles at the time ... that is a 68 harley sportster ... which i spent MOST of my time "pushing it home" rather than riding it.

my original barracuda.jpg

DSCN0969 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Always regretted selling this one. My first was this 1971 Dart Special slant 6. I sold it to make room in the garage for the work I needed to do on the 64 Valiant. A local older gentleman bought the car. He put another $4500 into the car rebuilding the slant 6 and making it a really nice car. He called me the following summer (2015) and told me he had a bad heart condition and offered me the car for only $6500!!! I stupidly said I couldn't do it!!! :BangHead: It is a really nice car. Stupid....stupid....stupid.

-
Back