Lets talk abt 1st cars!

-

cudamike13

cudamike13
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When I was 14, I mowed lawns with a push mower for spending money. I think I got a quarter a lawn! (small lawns where I lived)
I was mowing this lady's lawn and when I went to collect my money, she said: Son I am very sorry but I have no cash!
I said: Geeeeeeeeeeee lady, I just mowed your whole lawn!
She said: Would you take that car sitting over there for payment????? ARE YOU KIDDING?
I ran home to get my Dads permission. He even then knew I was a Car nut, so he said okay!
We drove over in my Dads' 57 Chrysler Windsor 2drht.
The car turned out to be beyond my meager finances to repair, but me and my friends had a blast in that old 1951 Hudson Hornet twin H power!
So that was my very first car!

My first car that ran, (second car) was a 1949 Plymouth 4dr sdn.
It was 1965, I was on leave from the U S Navy.
My brother in law sold me this car for $25.00
Now this car used more oil than gas!
I was buying what was called "reclaimed motor oil" at ten cents a quart!
In my second week of ownership of this fine car, I was taking a young lady to Big Sur for the day, and the car just quit running on Calif hwy 1 alongside Ft Ord riffle range at the beach!
Never did find out what was wrong, but knowing what I know now...I think the timing chain broke.

Shortly after that happened, I was on my way back to Pearl Harbor and my ship and then off to Viet Nam again.

A year later and I was out of the Navy and bought another car from my brother in law! But that is a story for another thread!

Lets hear some more 1st car stories!

CudaMike13

My Mopars over my life so far...
1949 Plymouth
1966 Dodge Charger
1956 Dodge 2drht v8 poly
1956 Desoto hemi
1974 Dodge 3/4 camper special 360
1974 Dodge Ramcharger 360
1966 Barracuda 273 at
1967 Barracuda 273 at SOON to BE 400ci and suspension mods for better handling.

My first car is/was a 1972 Chevelle SS which I got from the original owner. It is all original minus the tranny (at some point the original owner blew up the M-20 that was in it and replaced it with an M-22 Rock Crusher, which I'm not complaining about). I learned to drive my first stick and also took my DL test using that car. I won my first drag race with it (against a honda civic). I still have this car today with the original engine rebuilt sitting in the corner of my garage (the car is wait for an LS-9 and 6 Speed upgrade).

In 1977, my parents bought me a 1968 Pontiac Catalina for $700. I had a 400 2bbl, but I drove it like it had a SD455.

My triple blue, 17ft long, hooptie won its first race running against a '73 350 Nova shortly after I got it. The first winter I had it, I slid off the road into a ditch and busted about ten pounds of bondo outta the quarter panel. Man I wish I still had that car.

id have to say i kinda had two "1st cars"

my literal 1st vehicle was a 1996 dodge dakota sport. 3.9 v6. bought it from the original owner. nice truck. the way we aquired it was a little by chance. My dad an i r car guys an we would go to the local used car lot (this is not a dealer, just a fairground parkin lot that has cars inb the weekend for sale). we would wander around the rows of ricers, trucks, ect an then discuss which we thought was the best bang for the buck. i was 14 wen we started doin this weekend tradition an actually gettin a car was far from my mind.

one day, about 2 weeks after my 15th birthday, i waas watchin tv n my parents were out an about. they come home an my mom yells for me, sayin "dad wants u outside!" my initial thought was what did i do now? i walk out an there sits the red beauty. dad an i had seen it at the lot maybe once or twice an always sed it was the deal of the day. apparently, dad wasnt gonna let the deal pass us by!

was from the orignal owner, had 82k miles, all original. no damage or nothin! $3500. we got it, slapped some tires on it an drove it every chance it got.

unfortunatly, just under a 2 years after we bought it, i spun it into a tree. no injuries, an the only damage was to the driver door (180 spin at 7am after the 1st rain....ugh) i drove it another 9 months, but by this time i wanted to buy an old school mopar. sold the truck for $2500, an bought my 70 dart

dart was $1500 but we put about $3k into an all new brake system (im sure we were had on the work, but o well)

dont get me wrong, cuz i love my dart beyond any measure, especially since the dart is in MY name, but i really miss my truck. never had a single issue with it. motor was strong an reliable. mileage was fantastic. i never shoulda sold it. i hung onto the front license plate to remember it by (an the original key...gave the new owners the spares an never told em)

i hope to one day track down that truck, fix it up an keep it as it was.

First car I rode in: home as a newborn in my parents' '70 Dart Custom 4-door, cream yellow outside and tan inside, 225/auto, the one pictured here:

1117.jpg

First car I owned: '64 Valiant V200 4-door, 170/auto, bought out of a friend's storage-and-wrecking yard for...I think $350. "Would run", trans didn't engage, working '63 transmission included in the purchase price. Got it running with normal wake-up measures, proceeded to take the car apart with a teenage beginner's zeal. Damaged or destroyed many parts, never got the thing put back together, but learned a lot.

First car that ran and drove: '65 Canadian Valiant Custom 200 (the tan 4-door pictured front ¾ and dashboard here). Made a lot of improvements, broke or worsened some stuff along the way. It came to me with iron 225/1bbl, small exhaust, cable-shift auto, noisy 7-1/4", 9" drum brakes all round. It left me with aluminum 225/2bbl, big exhaust, rod-shift auto, quiet 8-3/4", 4-piston discs, and factory air system installed. I still hear from the new owner. Says he's gearing up to restore it. From time to time I harbor fantasies of buying it back.

(My father's first car: '62 Savoy, 225/auto. His last car: my '62 Lancer 770 aluminum 225/auto).

My first new car was a 69 Boss 429 Mustang. It came with an AM radio and 4 speed and thats about it. My dad signed for me to buy it when I turned 17. The car was on the trailer when I saw it at the dealership.He had agreed to go to Cresent Ford in High Point, NC to look at a used car for me. It was plain with no decals at all. My poor dad had no idea what I was buying till I got home and opened the hood. I think I paid $2850 and my payments were $82 a month for 36 months. As much as I love my a-bodies I would sure love to have that car back.

My first car was a 1964 Dodge Polara 500 w/ 318 poly a.t. console, bucket seats, a.c dark metallic turquoise in color. I kept it until Feb. 1971 then traded it for my 1st A-Body, a new 1971 Duster 340. Here is a pic of what my 64 Dodge looked like. (but this is not mine)

Attachments

• 1964-dodge-polara-pic-22837.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 274
In '88 mine was a 1973 Valiant 4 door / 6. It lasted me a couple days until the rod went through the block. I guess I bought the wrong $200 car. The first day I had it the torsion bars rusted through. I lived 2 blocks from school and wasn't driving it very far.....

I'd just graduated from high school in 1966 and was going to go commute to college at Cal Poly in Pomona the following September. My parents were negotiating to buy a new Olds 98 so the salesman gave them a deal on a recent trade-in '64 Olds F-85. Got it for $1600.
I drove that car everywhere, dated my first wife in it, and it became our only car when we got married in '69.
That car was also how I got into Mopars. My wife was driving to her work in it one morning and got hit from behind. We got the car fixed but it really showed us the need for a 2nd car. That 2nd car turned out to be my original '69 340 Swinger that we picked up used in late 1969 for $2500, complete with Cragar S/S wheels that the original owner had just put on. He'd just joined the Navy and couldn't keep the car so we got it for what he owed on it.

My first car was a 1973 Dark Green Dodge Dart Swinger with a 318 automatic I kept that car for a year and sold it to buy my first 1969 PLymouth Barracuda.

My first car was 73 Dart Swinger (318, auto) I got from my neighbor who was the original owner, for $700. It was a great first car till it got rear ended while I was stopped on the way to school by a Jetta doing 40 mph with a really stoned teenager behind the wheel. The Darts rear end was about 2" lower after that....the Jetta was totalled. I got $1000 from the ins company and got to keep the car, which I then sold for $600.

My first car was a 1970 Javelin SST with a 360.....paid $80 dollars for it in '78 due to the front end being stoved in.........although the car was only 8 years old it was still almost impossible to find parts for it. Needed a bumper,hood,fender.......I can just imagine how rare parts are for it now.........sold it for $300 and bought my '69 olds 442 for $250.....my how times have changed......still my favorite olds.......I've had 6 olds.

1975 LeMans GT bought it cause my dad hated it, and he wanted me to buy a 4 door Buick 225. Yeah right!!!!!

First non-running car was a 1964 Corvair Monza Coupe. I'd been trying to buy it from a friends family. It quit running on them & they gave it to my friends little brother. He pulled a bunch of parts off of the motor without a clue to what he was doing, then they towed it to the Chevy dealership to see if they could fix it. When they found out what it would cost they called me & said I could hav it for $50 but I had to tow it away from the dealership that night. I had to take it to my cousin's farm because my parents wouldn't let me bring a "junk car" home. When my dad went to the farm & saw how nice the body was on the car he let me bring it home & park it in the driveway. Later I pulled the engine/trans/rear suspension & sold the rest for $30. That was probably in 1973.

My first running car was my '64 Barracuda. Bought it in April 1974 & I still have it.

Mine was a 61 Pontiac Catalina Convert with a 389 4brl and a three speed on the floor.

In 1987 my parents bought me my first car. A 1967 Austin 1100, baby blue four door, non-running for the whopping total of $50. My dad helped me push it home from the neighbour's place. Taught me about oil leaks, 'positive earth' electrical systems, elastomeric suspensions, and that 'free' cars can be quite expensive.

1960-something 2 door Rambler with a 327 4 speed - $150. Wasn't old enough to have a license yet.

First car was a 68 Javelin 390/auto for $500 back in 73. It'd been rearended and had a 70 tail panel and lights installed and a 5 color blue and silver panelled metal flake paint job applied with 69 "Mod" scoops on the hood - VERY 60s. :shock: It lasted one hour at our new high school - I pulled in, did a burnout from one end of the lot to the other, spun around, and did a burnout all the way back to my parking space.:burnout:

Straight to the office - first car to be officially banned from school premises (forever). :headbang:

Got rid of it a few weeks later - got a 64 Impala SS 409 4 speed for $200 (those were the days ;-)).

Didn't get a Mopar till 3rd car - 68 Newport with a 383 4 bl - stuck with Mopars pretty much after that. :-D

-
Back