LETS TALK GAS CAPS

-

WAYNE0

Reaction score
The demon om working on had quarter skins put on back in the 90s. The gas cap doesnt fit to well. It sits in to fare and isnt flush with the quarter. Also it seams a bit to small. Did they make different sizes for different body styles ? This one measures 3 1/4 inches. Is it because its a aftermarket quarter ?

The sheet metal lip on a original Cap will be wider. Let me post pictures in the morning. Pretty obvious one vs the other. If the Cap sits raised from the quarter panel? It's reproduction

First thing to determine is "if" your car has evaporative emissions or not. Look and feel around the filler tube in the trunk. See if there is a small 1/4" tube welded in, which leads down the filler, and goes through the gromment floor. If so, NON evap controlled, lean towards 69/70

If you DO have evap, no small tube, and your car originally (probably) had a tubular tank like device in the trunk for part of the vent system AND has a small 1/4" tube that runs along with the fuel line up into the engine bay, and (originally) connected with the "carbon can" setup

FYI the 67-70 caps can be made to fit the earlier 65 by filing the ears down about 1mm each.
012515203142.jpg

012515203113.jpg

012515203628.jpg

it has several small lines coming from the tank and has a short filler neck behind the left wheel well im not famillure with this system had to install a aftermarket trunk floor not sure how it all goes together can someone post some pictures of how it all goes through the trunk floor

Last edited:
If you have not, go to MyMopar and download a free service manual. It is also useful to download and read a 69, a 70. 71, and 72 manual which will illustrate the differences in the vent systems. They changed "some" nearly every year

Read the chapters on carbs, fuel tanks, emission controls

He might not need all those lines. He isnt putting it back to stock.

I used the AMD qtrs and had the same issue. The angle was off a little too but not enough to be a problem with the fill tube at the floor or tank. It was decided to body work the cap to match the body. It would have been alot more work to get the qtr to match the cap. It wasn't alot but enough to drive me nuts if I had left it alone and see it recessed and tilted.

I'm just posting this if it is in fact a panel issue.

Carl

20200604_155355.jpg

imagejpeg_0(16).jpg

imagejpeg_0(14).jpg

20201212_074644.jpg

Last edited:
it has several small lines coming from the tank and has a short filler neck behind the left wheel well im not famillure with this system had to install a aftermarket trunk floor not sure how it all goes together can someone post some pictures of how it all goes through the trunk floor
All of the lines go directly to the tank from the stand pipe except for the one, that went to the front of the car to the vapor return line. I think that's where the shorter rubber hose went? Its been awhile, I'd have to take a look again.
You also will need the correct tank for that year that has the four ports on it.

Carl

20181007_144149.jpg

20181007_144103.jpg

20181007_154245.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back