LH threads

-

10pointers

Reaction score
Just picked up my 72 Duster. I was told that all the wheels were LH threaded by previous owner. I have researched and have read that Mopar had stopped LH in 1971. I have also read that LH threads were only on the passenger side. I pose this thread to find out what is the real story is. I will be removing wheels tomorrow and going to go with the left handed thread previous owner told me. I will be using lug wrench so don't think I'll do any damage figuring it out. Thanks for any advice or knowledge in advance. 10

In my (limited) experience I believe the Drivers Side should be the only side that could possibly be LH threads. RH threads are the norm on most vehicles. BUT older MOPARs did put the those pesky LH thread studs on the driver side for some time. I know my 67 Barracuda had them. I found out the hard way, like many others the first time I tried to remove the wheels and snapped a couple studs before I figured it out. Remember: Righty Tighty.....Lefty Lucy

DRIVERS side are left hand thread up through '71. I would suspect yours are all RIGHT hand thread, CCW to take them off.

The end of the stud will have an "L" stamped into it and you can look at the threads and tell there also.

IF

You have left hand threads they should be on the left hand side only.

BUT
You never know what the PO did.

Just picked up my 72 Duster. I was told that all the wheels were LH threaded by previous owner. I have researched and have read that Mopar had stopped LH in 1971. I have also read that LH threads were only on the passenger side. I pose this thread to find out what is the real story is. I will be removing wheels tomorrow and going to go with the left handed thread previous owner told me. I will be using lug wrench so don't think I'll do any damage figuring it out. Thanks for any advice or knowledge in advance. 10
If you have 4 wheel drum brakes you may still have left hand.

If they are left handed i wouldn't take them to any shop to change tires or they'll forget and strip the studs and lug nuts trying to get them off. At least a couple guaranteed.

Unless you're doing a factory restoration, I'd go all right hand thread. Just makes it easier. My 66 barracuda is all RHT.

-
Back