Lifter noise after 3000 rpm

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everybody:

Just had a 340 built. It has this comp cam in it with stock rocker arms. After about 3000 rpm you can start to hear the lifters making some noise. Not that bad though. It does have 10-30 oil in it. Kind of thin? That's what he said to use to break it in. High zinc conventional. Is this lifter noise something to worry about or not.

51139672103_ea6ed0abd6_b.jpg

Last edited:
Did you use the 995 comp springs? Possible the retainer is kissing the top of the valve guide?

Problem solved I think....Quoting RustyRatRod here.....

Anti pump lifters are exactly what the name implies. They will not pump solid at high RPM and cause valve float like a standard hydraulic lifter. But to run them, you must run either zero valve lash, or even a little lash like .002"-.004" like a solid cam. And of course, there's usually a little noise involved. I've never liked them They are a kind of "bridge" if you will between hydraulic and solid lifters. I just make the jump to solid and be done with it.

And with stock non adjustable rocker arms, there is no telling what if any lifter preload you’ll wind up with.

The XE type cams(fast rate hydraulic) tend to be noisy.

Which in turn requires a spring capable of returning those lifters from a fast rate cam if I’m not mistaken.

-
Back