lightest a-body??

-
You can Google "curb weight" and the name of any car and get the factory number. BTW, as uncool as it is to run one, a bench seat weighs far less than buckets and a console
:)

i got my money on a 67-69 valiant. i bet they are the lightest of the bunch.

Plymouth Valiant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Valiant

'61-'62 106.5" wheelbase curb weight 2750#
'63-'66 106" wheelbase curb weight 2692#
'67-'73 108" wheelbase curb weight 2743#
'74-'76 111" wheelbase curb weight 2819 #

Adding 2" to a cars wheelbase makes it heavier not lighter.

Equally equipped, the Gen II W/the shortest wheelbase should be the lightest as evidenced by the above

The "A" Body Dart started out @ 111" so it's not even in the running.

The "A" Body Lancer would be the same as the '61'62 Valiant.

So shoot me I was off by 50lbs. that is only 1-2 options different away from being lighter.

Hey ya beat out the Gen I by 7#!:cheers:

my 70 340 swinger hits the scales at 3150. its a 4 speed car

Another "blast from the past".....

my brother bought a 40k 1970 GTO Judge Ram Air IV with a bench seat and 4sp from the original owner.
He asked him why a bench seat ?? the guy said it weighs less and he wanted to beat the Chebbies in Des Moines.....

Cool Car !! I got to drive around Mpls... like being back in '70

my 68 fastback with a 318 RHS iron heads, 904 and 8 3/4 sure grip weighed 3240 with me in it and a half tank of gas. i weigh about 160 lbs...

My Dart is one of the heaviest A bodies with the 111" wheelbase and roll-up quarter windows. I'd like a 68 Dart Post/Sedan or a 64-65 Valiant for an ultra light small block car.

Plymouth Valiant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Valiant

'61-'62 106.5" wheelbase curb weight 2750#
'63-'66 106" wheelbase curb weight 2692#
'67-'73 108" wheelbase curb weight 2743#
'74-'76 111" wheelbase curb weight 2819 #

Adding 2" to a cars wheelbase makes it heavier not lighter.

Equally equipped, the Gen II W/the shortest wheelbase should be the lightest as evidenced by the above

The "A" Body Dart started out @ 111" so it's not even in the running.

The "A" Body Lancer would be the same as the '61'62 Valiant.

All of the "curb weights" listed above would be for the lightest possible variants.

For the early generations the weights specified would undoubtably be for 170 \6 equiped vehicle W/3-speed manial transmissions.

Later Gen IV cars would have the 198 \6.

Either engine, being 1" shorter than the 225, would be considerably lighter.

Ok...I'm doing to place my bet with the 61-62 Dodge Lancer 170 Series 2dr with the Aluminum /6.

thats exactly what im looking at. how are the 67+ darts? thats what i am really liking but want it super light. my goal is about 3 lbs per horse and looking for around 700+ hp lol. BIG hopes lol and would like to have heater, carpet, seats, street legal bumpers. i want it to be able to be a daily driver but also a street killer

i have me 68 slant car down to 2850 without me in it and i still have the glass and regulators in it! i have a plexi kit sitting in it when i get the time.

Attachments

• 100_5167.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 335
If memory serves. My 64 4dr weighed in a 2900 and some change with some of my crap in the trunk. I know it was close to 3k pounds. That was with Swiss cheese floor pans, quarters, fender, and a couple other parts (not setup for weight savings mind you) lol

/6 push button auto full interior

My 68 barracuda coupe had a mild steel headed 383, 4spd Mcleod scattershield with centerforce dual friction clutch setup. TTI headers. It had a team G aluminium intake but the rest was pretty much stock except for the two batteries in the trunk. It had steel wheels in the back with M/T 29x9.5x15 slicks. M/T 28x4.5x15 on front wrapped around torque thrust D's
Inside was gutted with a 6 point roll bar, aluminium door panels and aluminium back seat panel. It had the stock dash with no top pad and minimal gauges and tach.

Underneath were superstock springs, 75 dart front brakes, and discs out back on a Dana 60 that was stock width with bear axles and spool.

the body had fiberglass fenders, and lexan front and rear windows. the inner fenderwells were still there. I ran with no hood.

I had a small 4 gallon fuel cell up front and the car tipped the scales at our NHRA National Open at exactly 2925lb without me in it.

Hope that helps.

My 73 Duster weighs in at 3200 without me. It has an all Iron 440, 727, Dana 60 and full interior with fold down seat. The only weight savings is the AAR Fiberglass six pack hood.

My 73 Duster weighs in at 3200 without me. It has an all Iron 440, 727, Dana 60 and full interior with fold down seat. The only weight savings is the AAR Fiberglass six pack hood.

Wow. Thats about the same as a SB car with a 8 3/4.

1967 Plymouth valiant signet 318 410 suregrip weight 3160 with me. i was 260 at the time i had it on the scales.

1185474_665668616779298_435272350_n.jpg

Just some more data to confuse the subject! 63-65 has a small engine compartment. 67-69 has a larger compartment, 70 and up similar to the 67-69 but every year they got heaver with the safety gear. Feather Dusters and Dart Lites, are NOT!
My 67 coupe. 440, 4 speed, blowproof, Dana, Monocoque wheels, subframe connectors, glass hood, glass trunk lid, 8 point cage, lexan windows on the sides, 1 Solar bucket, all the undercoating removed, tubs in the rear..................... weighed 2750 without me in it on a shipping scale. So you can build a lite 67 up car with a reasonable engine compartment or cut the heck out of any car and build it as lite as you can afford. 2000 lbs race cars are not that uncommon, ready to race. IMHO!

I remember Plymouth' Feather Duster in about the mid 1970s. I think the only weight reductions were aluminum hood, intake, tranny, bumper mounts, inner trunk(I had recorded the list some time ago). I think the weight saving was less than 200 lbs.

I was interested some time ago regarding the aluminum hood. They are now apparently as rare as hen's teeth.

Just ran across this. I own and race several Mopars. Sounds like someone's going to learn the way I did over the years. Here's my advice:

If weight is a concern when building a car consider this...availability of parts. Ever tried finding headers for a 64-66 A-body? Want to put a big block in one of those? Good luck...expect to do some surgery. What about fiberglass body parts? Then rear fender clearance?

If weight is a concern to go fast consider making it up with cubic inches. My 1971 Duster has a fiberglass hood and front bumper, 500" stroker big block (9.5:1 pump gas), Dana 60, 727, cage and weighs 3,400#'s in street trim. Complete interior and no weight savings or butchery besides the hood/bumper. Ran as fast as 9.94 @ 135 with full exhaust. Tried adding a picture of the car but not successful.

My original unmodified or untouched 1974 Dart Sport 360, auto, A/ C, sunroof, fold down back seat, as well as every option available for that year. Weighed in at 3,800#'s. Engine never had the valve covers off...a time capsule. Smoking the stock skinny rear tires off the line runs 14.60's. Potential...

One thing to consider is a Duster/Demon/Dart Sport. Larger rear fenderwells. Late 1974 to 1976 cars have heavy 5 mph bumpers. I dismantled a late 1974 Duster recently. It had a shock absorber front and rear bumper. 1974 cars normally do not have shock absorber front bumpers. The front and rear bumpers weighed over 100#'s each without the bumper shocks. Best to start with a 1967-73 if weight is a concern. Hope this helps.

I remember Plymouth' Feather Duster in about the mid 1970s. I think the only weight reductions were aluminum hood, intake, tranny, bumper mounts, inner trunk(I had recorded the list some time ago). I think the weight saving was less than 200 lbs.

I was interested some time ago regarding the aluminum hood. They are now apparently as rare as hen's teeth.

Never owned a Feather Duster or Dart Lite but I understand the hoods and trunk lids had undersides made of aluminum and not the entire outers. Can someone who owns one verify this?

I believe the only aluminum in the bumpers were the backside brace since this option was available in the 5 mph bumper era. The steel ones I weighed were over 100# each. Can someone verify this, too?

The aluminum transmissions I own or ran across had aluminum main case with steel tailshafts. Anyone see one with a aluminum tailshafts? I would think they would crack easily. The ones I own have big input shaft bearings, 3.06 or 3.09 first gear with overdrive 4th.

A 200# weigh savings would be worth a bunch on the quarter mile. My all original 1974 Dart Sport 360 with a 5 mph rear bumper is a PIG at over 3,800#'s.

My Dart weighed 30 pounds more when this thread started in 2009 but some rusted away!!!

-
Back