Lithium grease on intake gasket.

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
Mopar Muscle showed a pic of an engine build a while back and they used white lithium greas on the intake side of the intake gasket and said that it was an old trick that the racers used. Would it work on a daily driver that may get intake swaps every now and then to save on gaskets?

I use it on my thermostat housings all the time for that reason. I don't see a problem using it on intakes as long as the surfaces all mate up at the same angle. Is this a small block? On big blocks, I've swapped intakes with a friend once and we both reused the gaskets without leaks.

It's an old trick yes. It does work, providing the parts fit properly and the gasket crush every time is repeatable. Overtightening will make the gaskets "non reusable" tho...lol.

Grease on tanpac or cork gasket material for water pumps, etc.., has been common practice long before white lithium was tryed.
On intake gaskets ? My pennies aint that tight yet.

this trick has been used by stock and super stock racers for years. i've used it also, never had a leak. the key is too use felpro blue intake gaskets. the intake can be removed many times without any problems.

-
Back