Little $250 69 Valiant

-
Cool car and story, I've got a 69 I'm slowly rebuilding too. 1 question....what color is that pretty blue you are using? I'm gonna do a color change on mine, I was looking for something like that.
Thanks,
Alan

The dash paint is actually a rattle can paint from the parts store. Ill have to check the color again, and Ill get the name of it for you. I plan to match that color as close as possible for the exterior as well. Atleaset thats the plan as of right now. We all know how that goes!

Wow its been a while since I have done anything to the Valiant! Life happens!
However for Christmas I got the D/A I wanted and a while back I picked up a compressor capable of running tools needing that much cfm. So I went to town sanding the 9 yes 9 layers of paint off the hood. I finished the hood and pulled out the my new paint gun and shot it with primer. Man what a renewal in hope for getting that thing to look nice, or atleast get it in one shade of primer. So know I am on one of those "highs" and Im am excited to get back out there and keep sanding until all the ugly is gone! Ill post some pics of my paint progress soon.

Nice to see you are still around and making progress. Nothing much is happening on mine, as no income=no progress. Finally get released for work and winter arrives, so no work! (Tore my rotator cuff)
Gonna go look at an A-833 4 speed trans, guy wants $450 for it but they don't grow on trees anymore, and it's not far from home.
The one I have already has a bunch of strip only mods done to it, plus it needs a rebuild anyway. I don't think a crashbox would be much fun to street drive!
Take care, and let me know when you find out what color the engine bay is painted. I'm thinking color change to blue myself, just not sure what color yet.
Check this one out! http://www.adivanman.com/files/69streetpro/valiant.html
Take care,
Alan627b

Looks lighter than my Dakota R/T, which is Intense Blue Pearl Clearcoat.
But at least my question ahs been answered!
Alan627b

Hey, did I miss the pics of the windshield install? I'm very interested in that, cause I'm going to be doing it soon.

I unfortunately didnt get pics of the windshield install. Thats ok though It was similar to the "2 monkeys F%$#ing a football" scenerio. It went in but not with out struggle! Ill post a decent link when I get home. It shows an install with pics on a 67 Valiant. It was either from the "green Brick" in mopar action or the little white valiant in the other mopar mag. Either way Ill post the link for that later tonight.
As for the paint. I wasnt to keen on using a rattle can for the dash but I took my time, prepped decently, and then after it "set up" I buffed it by hand. It has actually turned out to be pretty tuff, and it looks nice up close as well.

Do you have any pics and info on your fog light install? I've been toying with the idea of adding fog lights to my project. I'm not crazy about hanging them under the bumper. Your way looks like they belong there. Awesome!

Haha, the light install. Well that was interesting. I considered that for a very long time before I finally commited! I drew the holes on the bumper, and found myself checking it out everytime I backed it outta' the garage. I looked at that idea for several months. Finally after I was able to do a bit of banging on the bumper and realized I can straighten a bumper. I figured what the hell, I have another bumper, I guess Ill go ahead and do it.
As for placement, it was dictated for the most part by the bumper brackets. However I "eye balled" the locations. Im sure I could have made a template, and placed it more scientifically, but hey thats not my way. As for removing the steel, I cut a "cross" from one side to the other, going both vertically and horizontally with a cutting wheel on a grinder. then VERY, VERY, VERY, carefully cut the circular line also with a grinder and a cutting wheel. NOPE not a pneumatic die grinder Im talking a black and decker grinder with a cutting wheel. Yes VERY carefully! LOL After that I have tacked the original brackets to the back of the bumper. However these are not finished as I will be making a housing so they shine light only where they are supposed to!

Well, after several attempts at getting the photos resized for the site I finally have them situated (I think).
So there is a pic of the hood after I used my new d/a to strip it. Then I moved on to the R/R quarter and made things move a little quicker by using 80 grit on a grinder and being very careful not to remove steel or get it too hot while doing it.
Now I knew there was damage in the rear, but I was surprised what I found in two different ways.
1. I figured the bondo would have covered more of an area.
2. I realized it was deeper than I thought.
Either way I spent a few hours banging on it and brought it much closer to where it should be.
Ill be honest I was hoping to have left that bondo alone because Im not to confident in my bondo skills, but when I seen the rust through the splits I knew it had to go.
So here is my latest endevour.

hood[1].jpg

0[1].jpg

1[1].jpg

2[1].jpg

3[1].jpg

4[1].jpg

5[1].jpg

6[1].jpg

7[1].jpg

8[1].jpg

So I was just reminded of "the good ol' days" and thought why not share a few stories from back then.
So one night soon after my motor was dropped in, I was headed for the outskirts of town with a girlfriend at the time and I was sitting at a gas station and a mid to late 70s Craparo pulls into the gas station. Of course we noticed each others cars and we happened to leave at the same time. Well we hit the light and are lined up. He revs it and I get smacked on the leg-------- "NO!!!" she says. As any typical jackass kid I just laughed at her. He revs again so I rev too. No she is sayin "you better not", I just chuckle and place a foot on each pedel. Now as the car is sittin at just under 3 grand and poised to strike she is screaming at me. GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and we are side ways!!! Damn too much throttle! I come out of it and this tank of a camaro is just barely ahead of me because the damn thing wasnt capable of spinning the tires I bet! well with in 100 yards of the light there was an over pass that raised up over the train tracks. As we crest the overpassIm pullin on him hard, and her screams went from Bitchin' at me to "go-go-go" As I passed this clown she is yelling "you beat him you beat him!" That crap was funny.
Ill have to add a few of these in here every once in a while! Its fun to think back on those times!

Good story! Remember, Creeps And Morons Always Race One!
Did it look like this one?

alan627b

gay_Camaro.jpg

Well I have been stalled on the Valiant due to the cold weather here. My garage like many is not heated, and I cant afford to run the little electric heater in there, it would run the bill up through the roof!
However I have picked up several parts for the Valiant.
1. Factory Style steering wheel from Tobysoldblue
2. Plymouth emblem from yellow68runner
3. Valiant100 emblems from Ebay for 6.00

I wasnt going to put emblems back on it, but I have to "REPRESENT". I dont want people thinking its another damn NOVA.

As a matter of fact I think Im gonna get plates here in va that say "NTA NOVA"

Last summer I took it out on the interstate and it had no Badges on it. Some guy in a "DONK" (big *** Caprice with 24" rims) comes rooling up next to me and starts yelling "what is that" I knew he wouldnt hear me, but I yelled to him. Then the funny part is. He starts trying to act cool, and hits the gas to get ahead of me. He started playing with me so I dropped the hammer and let er go. I was movin a lot quicker than his was even capable of in a matter of seconds! LOL

In an attempt to get motivated on my Valiant, I am dragging this post from the depths! I plan to post up a few resto process's in the near future. One of them will be My factory style steering wheel. Ill try to get a few pictures of the steering wheel and my Column sleev all together as well.

Ok so Ill "kind of" restart this with some stories of good and bad times had in this car. Ill post some pics along the way, and start some order to the resto part. Most likely Ill post pics starting with drivetrain then to the interior since I have most of those parts, and then on to the body.

Well as I mentioned I bought it cheap and drove it home. Being a kid wanting to do stuff that was kool, I tried a multitude of dumb things leading it to being less kool most likely. I think I started by cutting the exaust off and putting a cherry bomb on it, of course I didnt realize that just a muffler wasnt going to make that /6 sound like an 8. Then the rear sagged, so I got a pair of shackles given to me, well those went on to raise the rear and once again, in hindsight it looked really lame with those little stock rims and 70 series tires on em'. I did a few things to "clean up" the bay, like dare I say it------------------SPLATTER PAINT. Yep I thought it would be cool to jump on the wagon back then and accessorize some things like the air cleaner, heater motor trim ring. Yeah like I said I thought I was doing kool stuff! LMAO

So anyhow, after I shamed the valiant for a while, and drove the crap out of it, neutral drops at lights, running the poor drive train up to 100 mph while on the ice just because it would, and turning it into a redneck from hell racecar ( 102" whip CB antenna included), I decided after an incedent of needing more power desperately, that it was time to swap in a V8.

Now I have to tell the story of "DESPERATELY NEEDING MORE POWER".
Ok I have told this story in anothre thread but it is a factor in the build of this car so Ill retell here. Actually I think Ill copy and paste it.

My father was getting married and so we had company for the weekend, well one of them was a kid my age, it was summer and a friend and I asked this other guy if he wanted to come hang out with us at the river. So we are all driving in the valiant down the river road, and my friend Lloyd is in the back and he picks up this bag of donuts that we had gotten the night before. These donuts looked like miniature tractor tires (you know the ones). Well being the DUMBA$$ I am, "I say gimme one of those" not so bad if it hadnt been followed by " WATCH THIS".

Well as we move down the road I get the inclination to throw it at an oncoming car (now in my miniscule lil' brain I have worked out that the car will keep on going the other way) THAWACK! POOF! all over the windshield of a fullsize chevy truck. Well, I naturally look in the rear view and to my dismay I see brake lights, then I notice the HUGE Harley decal across the back window, then I seen the side of the truck (he's turning around) then I see the grill of the truck! OHHHHHHHHH SH_____________T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I drop the 904 into the lowest gear it will catch and pin it to the floor on this winding river road. As you can imagine this isnt getting me moving very quickly, especially with 3 burnt valves. Well they catch up with us and start yelling to pull over (yeah thats gonna happen willingly). Well the first thing I noticed about these TWO guys is that they are covered in tats and look like they just got of work from there daily jobs as IRON WORKERS or something.
At this point they cut me off and I am ran towards the shoulder that has a built up dirt wall (damn nowhere to go). They are getting out of the truck meanwhile we sit praying that the good ol' slant six will fire back up. It had died when I was forced to bring the RPM's down (damn burnt valves). Well it didnt start by the time they got to the sides of the car.
So as the guy attempts to punch me while Im in the car, though I backed up enough to avoid his hits. He reaches in and grabs my WILLIE NELSON length hair and drags me toward the window and proceeds to punch the top of my head, realizing this doesnt affect my head as much as it hurts his hand he stops to grab the CRAGER SS in the back seat next to Lloyd. Meanwhile the visiting guy along for the ride takes a sucker punch through the window to the cheak.
So the guy on my side pulls the wheel from me, believe me I fought for that rim (Hey those are rare!!!!- sm bolt pat.) Then he proceeds to beat my poor little car with it. 1st the roof, then the fender, then the quarter glass, then throws it at me through the window. Well amazingly the quarter glass did not break. Though to this day the window still has a big scuff/scratch in a cresent shape.
But the door glass was hit right at the top as it was rolled down, it shattered!
I would like to say that I tried to be some big bad a$$ but I was scared sh_t less by 2 pissed off 40 year old guys, that probley just got of work and didnt feel like dealing with a bunch of dumbass kids!

To end this story I'll say this.
#1. I realize how incredibly STUPID this was, and did soon after I did it!
2. donuts are NOT projectiles!
3. Long hair makes a good handle!
4. slant 6's with 3 burnt valves CAN NOT out run a chevy 350!
5. If you dont know me too well dont "hang out" with me!
6. I find this funny now and did soon after I did it BUT, BUT, BUT, any of you younger guys that think this stuff is amusing to try, REALIZE what happened to me, and also REALIZE that people are much more volitile than they used to be! And that was only about 10 years ago! I just dont want to see anyone getting any dumb Ideas from this.
DISCLAIMER: DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

Hope you all find this as amusing as I do!
PS I still have a dent in the roof from the wheel and recently replaced the window again (1st replacement was misaligned and broke).

Ok well that copied and pasted so. But there is one big story to contribute to the "needing power". It would have been nice to have had the 360 in there. There is no damn way they would have cought me!
Well Ill leave this for now, sorry but there arent too many pics from the early days of my car. Ill post a few pics soon though. Ill also continue with the stories soon.

Should have got the plate # and sued them into poverty, if you couldn't fight'em.

Lets see... a donut splattering on the window, and then smashing a guys car for it.........stupid.
hose guys belong back in the pen.

What gets me is you guys are/were kids???? and they are adult meat heads.

And they drove a pos chevy.....

I am going to show this thread to my son so he knows what I am going to expect of him :-D Outstanding work being dun here 4mulaSvaliant:cheers:

-
Back