Locked out distributor...

-
It will not advance your timing
What my question was as far as advancing the timing was if I activate it say with the setting of 3° at idle would it hold that 3 degrees lower all the way up to full advance at about 3 k?...
Right now I have a 14 degree swing..
Idle at 19 all in at 33. So if I hit the power to the retard when it dropped to 16 and follow the curve up to 30?...

twelve volt source, timing light, and a helper raising the throttle would answer it. I can't say for sure.

twelve volt source, timing light, and a helper raising the throttle would answer it. I can't say for sure.
Likely will happen is I will arm the switch and have my wife hit the switch while I raise and lower the throttle and hold the timing light. But basically this is what I'm assuming will happen upon all the research of the box and the claims people are making about the Box on the reviews..

off of the summit QandA section
Q:
I have a 6AL box and a mopar electronic mechanical advance distributor. Can I use this product without locking out the mechanical and (disconnecting the) vacuum advance? I am planning to use it with a basic 125 hp NOS nitrous system on a magnum small block.
Thank you

Asked by KEVIN on December 10, 2017

A:
I am using the start/step with a 6AL box with an HEI with mechanical and vacuum but I'm not using nitrous, I am using the start/step for bracket racing. If I start using nitrous I may lock the distributor just to make sure the timing change is instant, but it may not be necessary to do it as it does change the total timing the amount I dialed in.

DIRK A from OK answered on December 24, 2017

1 of 1 found this answer helpful.

off of the summit QandA section
Q:
I have a 6AL box and a mopar electronic mechanical advance distributor. Can I use this product without locking out the mechanical and (disconnecting the) vacuum advance? I am planning to use it with a basic 125 hp NOS nitrous system on a magnum small block.
Thank you

Asked by KEVIN on December 10, 2017

A:
I am using the start/step with a 6AL box with an HEI with mechanical and vacuum but I'm not using nitrous, I am using the start/step for bracket racing. If I start using nitrous I may lock the distributor just to make sure the timing change is instant, but it may not be necessary to do it as it does change the total timing the amount I dialed in.

DIRK A from OK answered on December 24, 2017

1 of 1 found this answer helpful.
I'm not using either one of those scenarios. I'm using a 6A l with built-in rev limiter, I also have a 2-Step launch control MSD, and now this is a start step rev limiter. I have a MSD mechanical advance only distributor with 14 degrees of advance...

:
Can I use this box to automatically reduce my timing when I activate/apply nitrous during a pass?

Asked by WILL on September 08, 2019

A:
Will, as long as you are using the 8987 Start and Step Timing Control with an MSD box such as a 6AL, it will work great to pull timing for nitrous.

122.gif
MSD Ignition Answer - September 10, 2019

A:
Yes, that is exactly what it is intended to do. You wire it in to your nitrous button, or whatever you use to activate your nitrous, then when you hit the button, it will set your timing the value you have selected.

GRANT from MN answered on September 09, 2019
A:
Yes you can it can only reduce timing 1 time I have it set to when my nitrous comes on it regarded my timing 4 degrees

I think more advanced stuff is retarding the timing more than one time according to how many nitrous kits you're running...

That’s why you put the ignition system on a distributor machine and test it. Then you know exactly what you have without trying to do it in the car and you exactly what happens at what RPM and if the box actually retards what it says it retards.

That’s why you put the ignition system on a distributor machine and test it. Then you know exactly what you have without trying to do it in the car and you exactly what happens at what RPM and if the box actually retards what it says it retards.
well since I don't have a distributor machine I'm going to have to go old school and yell to my wife over the revving motor to hit the button...

Did you get your distributor machine up and rolling

well since I don't have a distributor machine I'm going to have to go old school and yell to my wife over the revving motor to hit the button...

You have a super tuner in your area. He is one of the smartest guys I’ve ever known. I’ve tried to get him to write a book or two but he doesn’t think anyone would read it.

You have a super tuner in your area. He is one of the smartest guys I’ve ever known. I’ve tried to get him to write a book or two but he doesn’t think anyone would read it.
Well where's the super tuner at and what's his name?

Well where's the super tuner at and what's his name?

I’ll call him tomorrow and see how busy he is. I was going to bring him to the swap meet with me and introduce you two.

Super cool guy and very, very smart. I’ve known him since I was a kid. My dad did his distributors for him before he bought his own machine.

99.9% of dirt cars run a locked dizzy.

When I set-up my kid's B-mod SBC deal I set-up the MSD dizzy for an advance... we set it at maybe 15 degrees to start and 38 degrees at 2800 rpm. That, along with a lower numerical gear than most guys run, allowed the car to accelerate hard out of the corners but without shocking the rock hard spec tires. Instead of turning 3000-3500 off turn 4 on the start/restart he was down to 2500... the Jones cam we installed made the 358 pull like a freight train off the turns at those speeds.

The locals, including the PO of his car (and friend), said that car was the fastest he'd ever seen it run on the start.

It also allowed the car to restart easily when hot in case he spun (which he did) and did not want to cause a caution and start at the tail on the restart. He had an MSD 6 series analog box.

My SBM will run a MSD 6T analog box with a MSD dizzy locked out This car will come off the corners on the start at 4K. I'm using the old circle track 6T box because A)...I'm cheap and B) I don't trust the newer MSD stuff with Chinese components. Seen way too many fail.

-
Back