LOL!! EV range not only reduced in cold, ALSO reduced in HEAT!!

-
Many who defend EV and the technology respond to all the factual shortcomings with: "They will figure it out." Who are "They" For the past 5 years the best minds- not in the US but the best minds on THE PLANET have used billions maybe trillions of $$$ into solving all the problems with battery powered vehicles. What is the status of all that planet wide R&D? Well the vehicles do terrible in cold and hot, have low range, are expensive, are a thermal runaway danger to anything near them, exploit child and human labor to mine the materials, pillage the earth by mining said materials...........and on and on. Not good progress considering Battery powered vehicles existed before internal combustion vehicles. EVs may be ok for some niche categories but my god- just stop it with the idol worship and shoving it down everyone's throat.
Affirmative..
But Nuke Fusion is just around the corner to save Us all dontcha' know....:lol:

What did the solar power system cost?
We probably paid for half of it, just like the EV...like the cash for clunkers fraud, where We paid to destroy perfectly good vehicles, & help buy a new one that probably got ~2 whopping mpg's better.

After just having a breakfast with all of the proper nutrients, bacon AND beer! I thought I'd share why I drive a 2014 Nissan Leaf as a daily driver. I'm not a vegan, I don't believe that climate change is being caused by humanity (OK, maybe a tiny bit), but living in the Moronic People's Republic of California I get tired of paying for all of the exorbitant costs and fees that are shoved down our throats. A year ago I found a nine year old Nissan Leaf, ugly, but I'm getting used to it, with good battery health (10 out of 12 bars), maximum distance is 80 miles, 74 using the AC (100+ degrees in the summer), 72 miles using the heater in the winter. Got it from a reputable Honda Dealer in Colma, Ca. $6,880. It had 59,000 miles on the clock. PG&E (Pirates, Goons and Extortionists) sent me a check for $4,000.00. Purchase cost now $2,880.00. Senile Uncle Joe is giving me 30% of the original $6,880, which is $2,064.00. Purchase cost is now down to $816.00. California Department of Motor Victims charged me $80.00 extra for not paying Newsome's gas tax, I can live with that. We purchased a home solar power system about two years ago and no longer pay for electricity, I charge the EV for free. No smog check is required, neither are oil changes. The motor has two moving parts, no transmission, a differential (about 8:1) with three moving parts. We still use our 2019 Jeep Compass Trailhawk and our 2017 Hemi Ram 4x4 for long distance or towing (love them both), but I just wanted to interject that maybe, just maybe, there is a place for an EV at your house. Now for dessert......!
It never ceases to amaze Me how comfortable some folks are with taking $$$$ from their fellow citizens to indulge in a really poor choice, because they can.....

I was considering installing a solar system on my home since there are gov incentives that are promoting it.
After meeting with the people and doing the math I decided that I would have to own the home for 20 years before the "free" electricity would actually be "Free".
All that, even after sending electricity back to the electric companies and getting "credits" daily.
It appears that with past incentives that were "lifetime" warranted the companies have all but gone out of business so there is no "lifetime" warrantee on anything.
The new technology is supposed to last longer and not need repair as often.
But again, even after spending a lot of time to try to make a solar system work I could not justify the cost.
As I understand it, the cost isn't why most folks buy the systems, It's because they "want" to. There is nothing free about it unless they are used for a long period of time.

I build custom homes and have had many very large systems installed for several clients. They have always costed way more than what they were worth in my opinion.
However, I will say that those clients that live off the grid and did not have electricity available to them were well worth the cost to have some electricity on their properties. That being said, I had to run generators at each of those homes as the very large solar system set ups would not run halogen lights, compressors and multiple building tools that were needed on the site daily. Sure, they would work for a short time, but then the entire battery bank system would be used up on short order.
Someone, please. Show me how a solar electric home system pays for itself. I would very much like to see the math. I would consider installing one on my property if there was a pay off that wasn't longer than i want to own the home.
ANYONE?????

EVs will make more sense than ICE.
No.
I have zero interest in anything battery powered. It will never make sense to me because it has no engine.
Maybe for YOU, men with fake boobs and makeup makes more sense than a real woman but that interests me about the same as an electric car.

Someone, please. Show me how a solar electric home system pays for itself. I would very much like to see the math. I would consider installing one on my property if there was a pay off that wasn't longer than i want to own the home.
ANYONE?????
There is at least 1 DIY Solar Group on facebook, and a DIY Solar Forum (can't find the link off hand). There are really cheap solar panels out of Texas, bargain used charge controllers and inverters, and innovative ways to tap the battery's DC to directly drive loads (LED lights, BLDC motors to replace ACIM, etc). Used batteries are available as forklift lead acid or EV lithium ion. In all, you could have a solar system for <1/4 of the typical professional installation -- but you have to do your homework. Doing your homework and the work yourself makes solar feasible.

No.
I have zero interest in anything battery powered. It will never make sense to me because it has no engine.
Maybe for YOU, men with fake boobs and makeup makes more sense than a real woman but that interests me about the same as an electric car.
Go to buy a chain saw, there are now more electric options than gas. Check out the latest lawn mower offerings -- again, electric outnumber the gas offerings. I happen to be an engineer in the electric motor arena, and am trying to make these things actually make financial and practical sense to more folks. My stuff isn't on the market yet. When it is, you'll change your tune for sure.

As a professional, I see massive opportunity in battery powered applications for all of the reasons that prompted you to make the quoted post. Personally, I have a battery powered chain saw, lawn mower, and a few power tools; but no EV in the driveway. I have an '84 Dodge Rampage slated for an EV conversion to showcase our company's stuff, but it's but a mere shell right now. I have a catalog of products I've been commissioned to create that makes the whole "battery powered" more attractive. Oh, and I have a flat chest and no man bun.

Here is a "private" video intended for business clients that hints at the direction I'm going:

I was considering installing a solar system on my home since there are gov incentives that are promoting it.
After meeting with the people and doing the math I decided that I would have to own the home for 20 years before the "free" electricity would actually be "Free".
All that, even after sending electricity back to the electric companies and getting "credits" daily.
It appears that with past incentives that were "lifetime" warranted the companies have all but gone out of business so there is no "lifetime" warrantee on anything.
The new technology is supposed to last longer and not need repair as often.
But again, even after spending a lot of time to try to make a solar system work I could not justify the cost.
As I understand it, the cost isn't why most folks buy the systems, It's because they "want" to. There is nothing free about it unless they are used for a long period of time.

I build custom homes and have had many very large systems installed for several clients. They have always costed way more than what they were worth in my opinion.
However, I will say that those clients that live off the grid and did not have electricity available to them were well worth the cost to have some electricity on their properties. That being said, I had to run generators at each of those homes as the very large solar system set ups would not run halogen lights, compressors and multiple building tools that were needed on the site daily. Sure, they would work for a short time, but then the entire battery bank system would be used up on short order.
ANYONE?????
The problem with solar panels is the heavy metals in them. If you get solar panels, they're a hazardous material when it comes time for disposal. And all that cobalt will leach into your home and soil.

Solar panels are the new lead pipes.

Go to buy a chain saw, there are now more electric options than gas. Check out the latest lawn mower offerings -- again, electric outnumber the gas offerings. I happen to be an engineer in the electric motor arena, and am trying to make these things actually make financial and practical sense to more folks. My stuff isn't on the market yet. When it is, you'll change your tune for sure.

As a professional, I see massive opportunity in battery powered applications for all of the reasons that prompted you to make the quoted post. Personally, I have a battery powered chain saw, lawn mower, and a few power tools; but no EV in the driveway. I have an '84 Dodge Rampage slated for an EV conversion to showcase our company's stuff, but it's but a mere shell right now. I have a catalog of products I've been commissioned to create that makes the whole "battery powered" more attractive. Oh, and I have a flat chest and no man bun.

Here is a "private" video intended for business clients that hints at the direction I'm going:

When there's a natural disaster I wouldn't trust a battery powered saw to cut a tree off my house or cut a tree out of my driveway so I can get out.

Each one of these batteries has a limited shelf life. I can run a chainsaw indefinitely with regular maintenance. How long until I have to replace a battery and pay a disposal fee? How expensive will that be? Will I be able to use aftermarket batteries? Will I be able to fix and repair my own chainsaw? Or will these be the new HP Printers where its cheap up front and the consumer gets gouged over time?

And for the conspiracy bit:
What happens when some idiot decides to restrict chain saw sales and my chain saw gets remotely disabled because it's a "weapon"

The taxpayers never paid for gas stations to be built or repaired like we are doing for the charging stations and "Infrastructure" to support BEVs...
The government does sneaky things to give some industries unfair advantages while making it harder on others.
The reason that gasoline powered cars took hold and dominated over 100 years ago was because it was a better and cheaper idea.....and the public chose gas over electric.
The same thing is happening now.
Without huge rebates, the majority of the buying public wouldn't buy any electric car.
We all know the tech nerd that has to have the newest phone or APP on it, he/she loves new tech. Those seem to be a large percentage of the fans.
They are not the majority of the buying public though.
I see this topic covered all over and as I suspected, the overwhelming common complaint is that the government is forcing it. Independent thinkers don't want nor need the government to make their choices for them.
Imagine the panic in the boardrooms of these automakers....knowing that most of the buying public isn't interested in what they are building. All this talk about how tech will improve, these cars will get better ALSO scare off buyers of today. Who in their right mind would buy brown bananas when something better and fresher is being promised? The resale value of EVs is already crap, it will be far worse if/when a better design is invented.
If you wanted to buy a Duster and all they had was slant six cars BUT the salesman said that in 3 months they will have the 340 cars, would you buy the slanty car or wait?
If Ford is actually losing an average of $36,000 on each EV, you think they are going to make it up in volume?
No, they will not. The cost of GAS powered cars will have to go up to cover the losses.
EVERY time the government gets involved in business, the prices go up. Remember college loans? The Govt guarantees the student loan so the colleges raise tuition rates. The same is happening here.
Let the market decide. Cars are already cleaner than they have ever been. If you want to use a greenie term, CARBON FOOTPRINT, the EVs are far dirtier when you consider the energy spent and land disturbed for battery mining and manufacturing, EV charging from coal fired power plants, increased tire wear (emissions, look it up) potential battery failures ($$$) and low resale value.....finally, the difficulty of recycling and disposal of some very nasty chemicals.
I have cordless power tools that do work but don't compare to the corded ones or the gas powered tools.
You are as bad as a government official with your sales pitch about how these battery tools will "change my mind".
No, I won't.

As a Professional Tech for over 36yrs. 'til I left it behind a couple yrs. back, and one that does everything that needs & gets done to both houses/properties I own, the cordless tool has it's place. When it comes to chainsaws & lawnmowers(I have both, DeWalts), and using tools in freezing temps(I do, DeWalts/Mac, Matco, Cornwell, Snap-On, B&D, etc.), You'd have to have plenty of back-up batteries in a climate controlled environment to rival the amount of work that can be kicked out by gasoline powered equipment(incl. fuel powered air compressor). Extra batteries are BIG F'n $$$ Dude, and don't last 1/2 as long in cold temps, hot temps the good equipment reduces power & cuts it off early to protect the batteries from overheating.
There's no chance I'd use an E-mower or chainsaw to earn a living, or for emergency use, it has it's place but cannot REPLACE the quality fuel equipment...not even close.

If you wanted to buy a Duster and all they had was slant six cars BUT the salesman said that in 3 months they will have the 340 cars, would you buy the slanty car or wait?
Like you, I would wait for a 340 car. I just did a quick google search so you should fact check these statistics. In 1973 153,255 slant six cars were sold and 11,841 340 cars. while you and I may have chose to wait for a 340 car, it looks like the general public chose slant six cars.
Sometime our own strong personal beliefs don't prove out statically in the general population.

THAT is what you got out of it?
The point was, if much better technology is rumored to be on the way, why would anyone settle for what is available now especially when the purchase prices are so high?
People can be really myopic when reading and responding.

Last edited:
THAT is what you got out of it?
The point was, if much better technology is rumored to be on the way, why would anyone settle for what is available now especially when the purchase prices are so high?
People can be really ignorant when reading and responding.
Why so hostile?

I own a leccy chainsaw and it is great for small jobs and stealth firewood collection where you are (allegedly) not meant to be cutting wood.

But, I only use it to cut lengths short enough to get into my ute, then the petrol saw at home to dock up.

I also don't discriminate - I don't just hate EVs, I hate all modern cars.

My neighbor bought one of the Ford Lightning pickups. He has a cabin about 175 miles north of where we live that he visits almost every weekend in the summer and once a month in the winter. He can't drive his pickup to get there, since it doesn't have the range to make the round trip and he doesn't have a way to charge it while he is there. He also purchased a travel trailer a couple years ago, but has been unable to use it because he can't make it to any campgrounds before his battery dies.

I don't understand why anyone would see the benefit of getting one if you plan to drive a lot or tow something.
Easy solution. Put a diesel powered generator in the bed of that (virtually useless, massively overpriced pile of.....)truck.

Only kidding a little.

Why so hostile?
I changed the wording from IGNORANT to myopic.
I still feel the same though. Some people will single out one small detail in a valid argument and interpret it wrong whether it is due to their own bias or their refusal to see the truth.
To put it in a simpler term that maybe you'll agree with....
IF there is a growing sentiment that new technology is just a few years away for power plants that would be cheaper and more efficient, how stupid would a person have to be to pay a huge amount for a currently available product that becomes worthless and obsolete within that time?

Weird, ain't it? In some cases, AC in fuel vehicles can HELP mileage due to streamlining and drag reduction. But even if it doesn't, you just spend a few minutes refueling the liquid battery!!

At least the a-bodies have the crotch boxes (fresh air ducts under the dash). You can just open the vent boxes, wear a loose pair of shorts, and let the fresh air go up one leg and down the other to keep your crotch cool... :)

I don't know what you are trying to say, here, but if you extend EVS to fuel vehicle levels there is no comparison. Gas vehicles don't usually spontaneaously combust or explode for no reason.

Yes, and I was talking to a fireman and he said that the EV's are prone to the fire restarting after they put it out... Sometimes they will flame back up on the tow truck...

Not to mention that it takes 4 times more water to put out a fire in an EV car than a typical gas car... So how's that saving the planet???

Dear friendly mopar enthusiasts. I know what myoptic means. Why are you so angry ?
Do you know what "Myopic" means though? You spelled it differently than I did.

1706207758410.png

Ironic. lol. if I was myopic I would have been able see the what you wrote. Hope you had as good laugh at my reading error as I did.

-
Back