Long pedal travel again after overhaul

-

my5thmopar

Life Long MOPAR Owner
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
72 Dart with manual 10 inch drums on front and rear. I've missed something even though I've done drums since the 70s. I just did the D100 with manual drum and the pedal is high and hard, so that's what I'm comparing the Dart to. The pedal has always had what I consider long travel. It is probably 3 inches or half way to floor. When I swapped the diff last week I rebuilt the brakes. New M/C, wheel cylinders, shoes and turned the drums. I used the manual brake m/c and the drums are under 10.060 or what ever the serviceable diameter is.
The pedal is the same as before but, the brakes work and no grabbing or pulling this time. I just think the pedal is low.

Checked for leaks everywhere and did the parking brake test. Using DOT3.

I bench bled and bled again after it was mounted. Plugged and pumped air out rock hard with no travel.

Adjusted all four star wheels and the edge of the shoes came with a radius.

I've bled the brakes 3 ways. I tried the old timers oil can method and pumped from wheel to m/c. I also have gravity bled. Then had my helper pump, hold, bleed, close, no bubbles going from RR,LR,RF,LF.

I'm getting ready to plug each circuit and see if it is a front or rear issue. I'm looking for any other suggestions. Thanks Craig

Im confused.
Are you saying the pedal just hangs low. Or that it takes a lot of pedal travel to engage the brakes. You dont mention that the pedal is soft or spongy,yet you suspect theres air in the system. You say it stops okay,but you keep bleeding them.
If the pedal just hangs low, well, thats by design. You would have to re-engineer the pedal system to change that: starting with the pushrod length.
Excessive pedal travel is harder to chase down.It could be a hydraulic problem.It could also be mechanical in nature.It sounds like youve pretty much ruled out hydraulic. So, that leaves mechanical.
You are probably aware that if the drums have been machined, then new oversize shoes need to be reground to match the new radius.If you skip this, it just takes a longer break-in period, extra periodic adjustments, and a longer stopping distance with more than usual pedal pressure until they wear in. Also the shoes are now touching the drums in just two tiny patches about 180* across from each other.You see the problem? Thats right, the shoes may distort the drums, turning them slightly oval. Of course that takes a bit of pedal travel. X4 drums equals noticeable pedal travel.
To prove if the problem is hydraulic or mechanical is pretty simple.I leave you to figure that out, on account of its hard on old hoses.

Im confused.
Are you saying the pedal just hangs low. Or that it takes a lot of pedal travel to engage the brakes. You dont mention that the pedal is soft or spongy,yet you suspect theres air in the system. You say it stops okay,but you keep bleeding them.

Not hanging low, the pedal is high, and correct, it takes a lot of pedal travel to engage. I wouldn't say it is soft or spongy. It works when it travels the 3 inches and engages. It just feels like I shouldn't have 3 inches of travel. If the air is out of the system, the fluid won't compress that much. I pump it several times it will build up, then when I let go and press again, the pedal is back to the high position, press again and it takes 3 inches to engage. Still acts like air, but again they have always been this way. Make sense what I'm saying. Craig

No not the same m/c as the other was a disk/drum. The new one is the correct M/C equal reservoirs for drum/drum.

Drums were turned and I put more radius on the shoes. Rear drums were actually new, front turned.

I was going to say that the M/C bore might be too large or small, but I would expect the long travel in the pedal to also be soft. So, I don't know.

Ok, You kinda gave us what we need when you said that by stroking the pedal it comes up and is hard. This tells us several things. 1) the compensating port is working, and thus the pushrod adjustment is correct. 2) the pedal goes hard, so no air in the system and the rubber lines are ok, and 3) the car brakes and stops normally. These 3 together indicate that the problem is not hydraulic but all mechanical. The problem has to be A) out at the brake drums, or B) mismatched parts.
--Mismatched parts could be A) the M/C physically cannot move enough fluid in one stroke to push out all 4 wheel cylinders to engage the shoes, or B) the wheel cylinders are so big, the M/C cannot move the pistons out on all 4 wheels to engage the shoes in one stroke.
--Inside the drums would be one of several possibilities. A) Miss-adjusted adjusters. As can be seen from the preceding paragraph, the system depends on the adjusters to be set correctly, because the wheel cylinders to M/C ratio has a narrow,one-stroke, operating window. B) flexing. This could be the rubber hoses, or the drums, or incorrectly assembled parts.
--Its been my experience that this type of problem is usually in the rear system. You may find it advantageous to isolate the front/ rear system to prove that.
-The long travel,baring design, on a drum/drum machine occurs when the wheel cylinder pistons are moving, moving, moving, pushing the shoes out to the drums and finally engaging, or ballooning old flex hoses.Thats usually all there is to it. With a small M/C it takes a lot of travel to get the fluid out there. Whereas a large bore M/C pushes more fluid for the same pedal travel. The trade-off is the more leg-power required to stop the car. A larger bore M/C may be in your future.
--Keep at it, and you will find the problem. A hard pedal builds a lot of confidence in the operator. A long-travel/soft-pedal, the way you describe it, is not normal.
-Happy hunting

Ok, You kinda gave us what we need when you said that by stroking the pedal it comes up and is hard. This tells us several things. 1) the compensating port is working, and thus the pushrod adjustment is correct. 2) the pedal goes hard, so no air in the system and the rubber lines are ok, and 3) the car brakes and stops normally. These 3 together indicate that the problem is not hydraulic but all mechanical. The problem has to be A) out at the brake drums, or B) mismatched parts.
--Mismatched parts could be A) the M/C physically cannot move enough fluid in one stroke to push out all 4 wheel cylinders to engage the shoes, or B) the wheel cylinders are so big, the M/C cannot move the pistons out on all 4 wheels to engage the shoes in one stroke.
--Inside the drums would be one of several possibilities. A) Miss-adjusted adjusters. As can be seen from the preceding paragraph, the system depends on the adjusters to be set correctly, because the wheel cylinders to M/C ratio has a narrow,one-stroke, operating window. B) flexing. This could be the rubber hoses, or the drums, or incorrectly assembled parts.
--Its been my experience that this type of problem is usually in the rear system. You may find it advantageous to isolate the front/ rear system to prove that.
-The long travel,baring design, on a drum/drum machine occurs when the wheel cylinder pistons are moving, moving, moving, pushing the shoes out to the drums and finally engaging, or ballooning old flex hoses.Thats usually all there is to it. With a small M/C it takes a lot of travel to get the fluid out there. Whereas a large bore M/C pushes more fluid for the same pedal travel. The trade-off is the more leg-power required to stop the car. A larger bore M/C may be in your future.
--Keep at it, and you will find the problem. A hard pedal builds a lot of confidence in the operator. A long-travel/soft-pedal, the way you describe it, is not normal.
-Happy hunting

Thanks AJ for the thorough explanation and helping with the issue. Its got me stumped and I appreciate all of the good suggestions. And yes, I'm going to isolate the front and rear if need be, after the hose swap. I m going to readjust drag because the rears feel tight on the drums now...Maybe something is off back there. I ordered new rubber hoses this morning before reading this. It won't hurt to change them and they look old and tired....Like some of us on FABO.....:)....I checked RockAuto an Autozone. The M/C is the correct Drum/Drum with equal reservoirs and a Bore Size (In): 1.03125 Inch. The front W/C is 1 3/16 and rear is 15/16. I’ll report back next week.

It might be a good idea to take the mater cylinder off and physically measure the bore size at the back end. It is possible that it was mis packaged and may not be as advertised. I suppose the same goes for your wheel cylinders.

Well, if youve got new hoses coming, then I have a plan for you.
- Before you change any hoses; Clamp all 3 of the current hoses, as close to the m/c side as you can without damaging them. Now go try your pedal. If the hydraulics are good, the pedal will immediately be hard, and with very, very little travel. If this is not the case, determine why. Could be air. Could be sloppy linkage. I suspect it will be just perfect.
-Next unclamp the rear hose,and retest the pedal. Should still have a hard pedal after a wee bit of travel. not much travel because the fronts are still clamped. Next reclamp the rear, unclamp a front and retest the pedal. Finally reclamp the previously unclamped line and move to the other front side.Repeat. By this time you will have a pretty good idea of whats going on.
-If the pedal stays hard at each test and with only a small amount of travel, then the system is probably working as designed. However if you find any one drum that produces significantly more travel than the others, thats your go-to drum.
-You can accomplish similar results by cranking the adjusters out tight, and in fact still may have to in the back,because its the only way to isolate the left from the right, as they share the same hose.Its just faster, clamping them.
-I never recommend clamping as its all too easy to damage the hoses internally, with resultant down-the-road failure, traceable to me.Hoses generally rot from the inside out, so even though clamping may not damage them externally, internally,you cant see it.I would not want to be held responsible for a failure. For you thats all moot because you already have new hoses on order.
-Instead of clamping the hoses, I have, in the past,clamped the wheel cylinder pistons in, with appropriately sized C-clamps. This is, of course, fairly time consuming. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. It has the advantage of ruling out just about everything, short of the hoses, and bad hoses are in-your-face obvious.
All the best

After I rebuild a brake system, the pedal has excessive travel. Mainly because I adjust the shoes fairly loose. I don't want dragging shoes. I then back up and jam on the brakes many times to the let the self-adjusters do their thing. Then I have a firm pedal with short travel. May also take some driving to get the shoes to match the drums and wear the new fuzz off.

So, I hear you tried the clamp test and got a hard pedal, and unclamping one hose at a time produced 1.5in travel in the back, and 2.5in or so at the fronts.And with no one front much worse than the other. Good news, Everything is good up to the wheel cylinders at this point.And the rear, surprise, is likely, ok.
So now we have to figure out; is there air inside the w/cs or is it adjustment or other.
Lets talk about "other" first. This would be; incorrectly assembled parts, wrong parts, or incorrectly machined drums. The first two are on you. You need to be confident that you did your part right.The machining is on the machine shop, and its hard to screw up, so Im gonna assume, for the moment, everybody got it right. Ok then.
-You have 2 options; First, leave the rear hose clamped, but un-clamp the fronts, then
- Option 1) crank the adjusters out hard.Then step on the brakes a couple of times to center the shoes. Not hard, just a couple of stabs.Then see if the adjusters will take a couple more clicks. Now go check for hard pedal.You will have one of three results. 1) hard pedal/no travel. 2) spongy pedal/ lots of travel. or 3) springy pedal/wee bit of travel. The pedal should be fairly hard with only a wee bit of travel.A hard pedal means the hydraulics are good. If the pedal is hard with springy feel,not spongy,that might be normal. The springyness could be due to flexing of; the old hoses,out of round drums,drums not machined concentric with the center register, or drums moving around on the hubs.Of these,the most likely is/are the hoses.I wouldnt be too concerned about that springyness just now.If, however, theres still quite a bit of travel, with a spongy feel,there may be a tiny bit of air still trapped in the w/c.To find out which one use the clamp test, again.Then bleed it out. I use the words springyness and spongyness because thats how my brain interprets the feel.I cant actually define these feelings to you. However you already know what spongyness feels like(having bled the brakes), so the springyness will be slightly different.When/if you encounter it, you will recognize it. The pedal travel is different as well.
-Option 2) You will need a couple of small, HD,C-clamps, Im guessing about 3 or 4 inchers. Fully diss-assemble the front brakes.Remove the dust seals, and pusurods, from the w/cs. Put your clamps on the w/cs, such that the pistons cant come out.Now go check the pedal.Hard and no travel means hydraulics are A-ok.Spongy? You know whats next. Isolate, retest, bleed, repeat as necessary. Springyness now can only be the hoses. Ok dont forget to remove all the clamps and reassemble..
-If you have to go to option 2, and get a hard pedal, then the problem is purely mechanical, and inside the drums.The number one most likely reason is adjustment.Next guess would be flexing drum. I kinda ruled that one out when you said that the shoes were radiused to the drums. Id like to revisit that.The shoes need to be fitted to the drums. If you take an off-the-shelf shoe set and bench fit them into a new un-machined drum, there would be little to no rocking motion. However, putting those same shoes into a .060 machined drum will get you a wee bit of rocking. The shoe is now contacting the drum in a small patch somewhere as opposed to full contact.If you install it this way, one of three things will happen; 1) when the w/c pushes the shoes out, the shoes will bend a tiny amount to conform to the drum, or 2)the drum will distort to conform to the shoes. or 3) nothing at all because all the parts are able to withstand the forces.Either of the first 2 actions will result in additional pedal travel. A very similar result will be had if the adjusters are backed off too far;instead of having a full contact to the drum, you might get contact in only 70 or 80%.
All of this flex talk is mosly mumbo-jumbo though. It only manifests when the vehicle is at rest. As soon as the drum is spinning and you apply the brakes, something else happens; self-energization. Another thing that happens is break-in. Having the shoes reground to fit the oversize drum mosly just reduces the break-in period,increases the initial braking ability,reduces pedal pressure to get the car stopped safely, and makes a happy customer.
-Im gonna go out on a limb here and guess that after you perform option 1 youre gonna get a hard pedal/no travel. meaning everything is normal, and all you needed was a bit more adjustment.
-Adjustment;Ill tell you what works for me. I crank those adjusters out til the wheel drags pretty good.Then I go stab the pedal a few times.Then I go back and crank a few more clicks in. Then I go stab the pedal a couple more times.What Im trying to accomplish is to get the shoes centered. It usually takes 2 or 3 cycles to get this done.Then I back the adjusters out until they turn a little easier( I always clean them before reassembly and lube with anti-seize, so I know they will turn easy).Then I crank them back in til they tell me to stop.Huh?Well yeah after a few hundred jobs they kinda talk to you. Ok, but for you, its like this;Imagine a 3/8 bolt clamped in a vise on the flats. Imagine 2 nuts screwed on a ways. Screw them together, finger tight. Put a wrench on each one.Anchor the one.Tighten the second to it with the wrench, like maybe 5 or 6 ftlbs.You get how that feels? Its like at a certain point, bam, the wrench just stops.Thats the feeling.From there I usually back off a few clicks. maybe 6? Now I grab the tire and give it a turn.If I get it just right it will turn with a drag. Ill feel it and hear it rubbing.I like it when Im close. Im gonna say I like in the neighborhood of a ten pound drag. That is if you hung ten pounds on the tire parallel to the ground it would just turn the wheel.Then I set them all that way. Some might say thats too tight, then back them off til no drag and live with the long pedal travel. Heres my take;The shoes need to be broke in anyway, so lets get it over with. And the hard pedal/short travel makes the customer happy. A week from now, the self-adjusters will have it all be sorted out.I do this on a new install.On used parts I back off a bit more.Or you could do what Bill does(previous post).Thats a fine way to to do it.
Ok, so I think thats it for now.Oh wait.Now its time to change those hoses. So, all the best to you.

I replaced the hoses and replaced all 4 drums. Also replaced the rebuilt master with a new. I did get the rear 10 inch Centric rears and Raybestos fronts from RockAuto. BTW the rear Centric seem to be about the same quality as the new set of Century rears I'm hoarding. Now I have brakes with a harder pedal but, still a little springy. No spongy or brake warning when I stand on them. I still think I need some adjustment. I'm always afraid of getting the shoes too tight. If it doesn't improve with a little driving, I'll check and readjust. I did the backup method and I got a little firmer pedal. I feel confident they will work in panic stop. I'll get them broke in and see if the auto adjusters take up the slack. I think I've got this from here. Thanks Bill for the suggestion and AJ for great troubleshooting methods.

-
Back