Long valves on W2's with .600 lift?

-
If your intended use is for strip or even street/strip my bet is that the specs come back close to between .650-.700 lift and 260ish @ .050. 106 lobes.

Lets se if my WAG is close ...lol

If your intended use is for strip or even street/strip my bet is that the specs come back close to between .650-.700 lift and 260ish @ .050. 106 lobes.

Jones first suggestion was .560-ish. The guy who flowed my head last week said no more than 570.

Lets se if my WAG is close ...lol
Nope...oval track dirt late model. 7200 rpm because I can't afford to spin it faster.

Ah .... now I remember you mentioning that.
I will be curious to see the results.

Round it up because of the .67 to 390.....
:lol:

Ah .... now I remember you mentioning that.
I will be curious to see the results.
Me three... First build it had a Crower solid roller. Then the cam went bad so it got the flat tappet purple shaft that it had when I bought it. Of course it was in about 50 pieces after getting wacked by an errant connecting rod.

Maybe the roller went south due to insufficient spring pressure. I am running Comps with 600#s open

Now I got a Rambler/Ford....this is getting confusing

Yeah, but the parts are probably cheaper for the Ford. So you got that going for you.

I didn't realize Howard's was in Oshkosh. I'm going to try and stop by the next time I'm up there and see what they'll recommend for mine.

Little GTO
you know you're really fine
3 duces and a 4 speed
and a 389
rev it up
tack it up
blow it up
GTO

I'm thinking jones inverse lobes are easier on the valvetrain
hard to beat the prices on chevy valves
any ls canidates ?

Little GTO
you know you're really fine
3 duces and a 4 speed
and a 389
rev it up
tack it up
blow it up
GTO

I'm thinking jones inverse lobes are easier on the valvetrain
hard to beat the prices on chevy valves
any ls canidates ?
I bought a couple sample valves from a guy in ND. Manley Race Flo and Race Master....less than $25.00 each. Not bad. I'll use these to mock up the heads and check the rocker alignment. One is a 5.140 the other a 5.165. He didn't have the intake in the shorter length. I'll see how this goes.

On another note I bought a set of Comp solid lifters for $36.00 on FleaBay...NIB. Not sure how I got that price...we'll see how good they are soon. I like the Comp/ Crower lifters without the oil band.

I bought a couple sample valves from a guy in ND. Manley Race Flo and Race Master....less than $25.00 each. Not bad. I'll use these to mock up the heads and check the rocker alignment. One is a 5.140 the other a 5.165. He didn't have the intake in the shorter length. I'll see how this goes.

On another note I bought a set of Comp solid lifters for $36.00 on FleaBay...NIB. Not sure how I got that price...we'll see how good they are soon. I like the Comp/ Crower lifters without the oil band.
In other news today the seller, ShopEddies.com, cancelled my purchase of those $36.00 lifters and issued a refund...at least I got my money back.
Yeah, but the parts are probably cheaper for the Ford. So you got that going for you.

I didn't realize Howard's was in Oshkosh. I'm going to try and stop by the next time I'm up there and see what they'll recommend for mine.

Competiton Products is on the south side of the building and Howard's is on the north side near the airport. Look for the DC-3's from Basler Aviation....

Last edited:
That's too bad about the lifters. I actually bought a set of those 821-16 solid lifters in September on Amazon for $22.85 delivered. The seller was Shop Eddies. Guess I got lucky. They only had one set on Amazon at that price and I've never seen them that low again. Currently on Amazon, Jeg's is the lowest price at $160.

W2s actually Exacerbate the pushrod angle and loses more lift .
Depends on your rockers. I used to use Mopar cast w2 rockers and always lost some lift. On this motor I bought a cam with .700 lift thinking with the lash and losses. Might see .670.
But I also put on Norris rockers and guess what. Lashed at .022 thou I get .701 lift at the valve and .707 on the exhaust. True ratio rockers I guess.

Depends on your rockers. I used to use Mopar cast w2 rockers and always lost some lift. On this motor I bought a cam with .700 lift thinking with the lash and losses. Might see .670.
But I also put on Norris rockers and guess what. Lashed at .022 thou I get .701 lift at the valve and .707 on the exhaust. True ratio rockers I guess.

Those Norris rockers are the schiiiiizzzzzzzzzznizzle. I sold mine and kick my own *** every day for doing it.

If the geometry is correct and the rockers are Norris or better you will lose very little lift.

Yeah I ran Norris on my last W2 . But most of the loss comes from the angle of the pushrod.

But most of the loss comes from the angle of the pushrod.
Very true. Last solid cam I installed and set up was listed at .525 lift, minus the lash .513, I ended up with .510.

I am not losing any lift. Cannot explain it.

If the pushrods are stiff and the rockers are made correctly you lose little to no lift.

On my W5 junker I netted .750/.738 with 340ish on the seat and ~.900 over the nose with Norris 1.6 rockers and on the stand it was within a few thousandths. If I used checking springs, I went way over 1.6 ratio and I forget how much lift I had with checking springs.

Now, WTH was going on at 8500-8800 I can't say. And I'm not sure I'd want to know. At that point, I think any valve train by any manufacturer on any brand engine with production or similar architecture they ALL lose lift. I'm guessing the best stuff would loose less, but I can't say for sure.

BTW, I had to use 3/8-7/16 double taper thick wall Smith Brothers pushrods to get it done. I also had some very nice pushrods made by Walt and Pat Austin. Those were double taper as well.

good vibes on the pushrods yr stiffer is better
more so for circle tack
yr also observes that the springs dance around
so what for spring seats?

good vibes on the pushrods yr stiffer is better
more so for circle tack
yr also observes that the springs dance around
so what for spring seats?
Not sure about seats or locators... not that far right now.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with PAC 1220 beehive springs... 1.440 diameter at the base. After seeing how much a regular spring dances around at speed the conical or beehive is a big improvement.

factor in to your spring height
or you cutting the heads to hold the beehives?
what does mike think of those springs and your flows?
I like the dynamics and light weight

factor in to your spring height
or you cutting the heads to hold the beehives?
what does mike think of those springs and your flows?
I like the dynamics and light weight
Trying to get an installed height of 1.9. These heads have 1.50 diameter springs right now.

I'm waiting for Mike’s recommendation.

Just got my cup adjusters for my rockers ....
F83FDE09-0777-412B-A173-B7335F7144D4.jpeg
7BD37A47-B6A8-4F64-9BDB-02C54D594F9E.jpeg

Going to oil thru pushrods....

-
Back